Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Get the the Ocean Playground back in the EAST COAST LIFE STYLE;

I'm an Ocean lovers and I see a lot of potential in Nova Scotia for this sport. I love scallop but I'm getting tired of it. I need to see if there is enough interest in the sport before doing a proposal petition. Please give me a feed back and if your in or out. Cheers! English is my second language so if you want help with any input you are welcome to help. I have contact DFO and they are to stubborn to do any thing about it. Please share with every body!

Nova Scotia regulations is currently prohibit to spearfish by any means other than angling (hook and line).

Freediving, the sport of diving without SCUBA equipment, and spearfishing are becoming increasingly popular. The desire to take a limited number of Saltwater fish for consumption, by this method, is growing as well. With spearfishing, by catch is eliminated. Specifically freediving and spearfishing, is a strenuous and challenging sport and it is not an attempt to make taking fish easier. Spear fishers, many of whom are also hook and line anglers, find it to be contradictory that in hunting the quarry may be shot but not baited; whereas in fishing, the quarry must be baited but not shot.

It seems that regulations follow the dollars signs of the big sporting industries and don't give fair opportunity to those who would use other methods to pursue the same species. If a striped sea bass fisherman is allowed to harvest one striped bass after hooking and possibly injuring five others why can't a spear fisher harvest one striped bass or any other fish open to harvest by anglers?

The Province of British Columbia have already adopted regulations that allow spearfishing for Saltwater fish. It would be to Nova Scotia's benefit to bring some of this economic activity back home.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts