Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
So If I understand this correctly last year, as per the 2010 anglers handbook and I assume previous years before that. In all counties but Cape Breton their was a season for Smallmoth bass until Oct. 31st, which ment to me that I could fish places that would traditionally be closed by Oct. before smallmouth introduction. Example: Kearney Lake, but this year, and I am very surprised noone has brought this up yet, in the 2011 handbook there is no open season for smallmouth bass in any counties except for the lakes that are noted (a select few). I think that huge implications to the way we fish smallmouths does it not ? I believe it is a effort to curb future introductions of invasives but I am not sure how it is supposed to work. By reducing the oppurtunties for angling ?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
looks like alot more changes than we thought really gonna have to give it a good look over

I thought things were going to be clearer and ppl sound confused already

·
Registered
43 Posts
I find the regs pretty clear per the bass. In its simplest form anything west of highway 102 is very similar to previous years. Anything east is closed except those exemptions listed and generally have a very liberal bag limit of 25.

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
For those frustrated by the inaccessibility of the 2011 Angler's Handbook, DFO's notice regarding 2011 angling regs is printed on page B7 of today's Chronicle-Herald. Wear your reading glasses

Paul

·
Registered
328 Posts
So If I understand this correctly last year, as per the 2010 anglers handbook and I assume previous years before that. In all counties but Cape Breton their was a season for Smallmoth bass until Oct. 31st, which ment to me that I could fish places that would traditionally be closed by Oct. before smallmouth introduction. Example: Kearney Lake, but this year, and I am very surprised noone has brought this up yet, in the 2011 handbook there is no open season for smallmouth bass in any counties except for the lakes that are noted (a select few). I think that huge implications to the way we fish smallmouths does it not ? I believe it is a effort to curb future introductions of invasives but I am not sure how it is supposed to work. By reducing the oppurtunties for angling ?
This could also keep people from fishing lets say Kearney lake after September first with live bait saying they are after bass when they are trout fishing in reality. Or using an open season for one species to fish a species they like to catch, because they are both in the same body of water.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All I know is the way I interprete the new handbook 95% of the places I fish for Bass in HRM are now open a month less, which isn`t a huge deal but I dont nessecarily understand it or how it came about.

How come Lake Ainsile or Blackettes Lake in Cape Breton can be open until oct 31st this year, but McCabe Lake in HRM can't be for example ?

I hope im reading things wrong. lol

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, I agree with you 100% Baker, Kearney Lake is a great example. BUT, in another regard, trout in Kearny Lake will soon be a thing of the past in there anyway, like every other Bass lake, so what's the point kind of eh ?, I mean I would be for keeping Keraney closed after Sept. 30th, but not McCabe or some of the ones that have had bass for over 20 years. come on now eh

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...........Unless they have a plan to phase out Bass and reclaim those lakes like Kearney, but I highly doubt it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I checked a couple of local stores in New Glasgow that sell licences but they don't have them yet. I can't access the book on-line because all that is on the NS Gov't website is 2010 and as pmorris suggest, I do have my reading glasses on but not everyone gets the Chronicle, (sorry to dissapoint you pmorris).
Can anyone tell me if what the dates are for the Middle River Dam in Pictou County is for Bass this year. Last year it was April 1st to Oct. 31st inclusive with no restrictions.
Thanks.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Can anyone tell me if what the dates are for the Middle River Dam in Pictou County is for Bass this year. Last year it was April 1st to Oct. 31st inclusive with no restrictions.
Thanks.
Hi Greenhill Man
Lansdowne Lake, and Middle River Reservoir, from 200m below Highway 4 bridge to the Middle River Dam in Granton open Apr 1 to Oct 31 limit 25.
I used to hunt there a lot but its almost 30 years since I left the area.
Good fishing
Paul

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi Greenhill Man
Lansdowne Lake, and Middle River Reservoir, from 200m below Highway 4 bridge to the Middle River Dam in Granton open Apr 1 to Oct 31 limit 25.
I used to hunt there a lot but its almost 30 years since I left the area.
Good fishing
Paul
Thanks Paul. I appreciate the reply. I fish here 2 or 3 times a week for the bass and have a blast at it. If you ever come up this way and want a seat in a boat, email me.
Bryce

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
All I know is the way I interprete the new handbook 95% of the places I fish for Bass in HRM are now open a month less, which isn`t a huge deal but I dont nessecarily understand it or how it came about.

How come Lake Ainsile or Blackettes Lake in Cape Breton can be open until oct 31st this year, but McCabe Lake in HRM can't be for example ?

I hope im reading things wrong. lol
I think a lot of people are reading things incorrectly because they think that Highway 102 is the demarcation line. It's only the demarcation line until you reach the junction with the 118 (i.e., in Fall River at Miller Lake), and subsequently its junction with the 111 at the parclo.

For example, Kearney Lake has been mentioned a number of times. Since it's well west of the demarcation line, it won't be affected. Similarly, Lake Banook is west of the demarcation line.

In addition, Bissett, Charles, Loon, Micmac, Miller, Morris, Porters, and Russell - which all lie east of the demarcation line - are all excepted.

Paul

Reactions: pmorris

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeahhhhhhhh I get it now, I guess I could have it read it more clearly before crying wolf. THANK YOU ALL for helping me see the light.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think that it should be all layed out in detial because even though smallmouth bass is an envasive species it is still a species of fish. It is a very popular fish to fish for and needs to be in the handbook so that there is no miss understanings.

·
Banned
585 Posts
I don't get the logic behind it,...no fishing for bass in certain areas means no pressure on bass in certain areas. No pressure means they are free to grow. To fishing means no reduction in numbers,...so what they will end up with is in essence a trophy fishery with no fishing....Am I wrong?

Personally I think it is quite backwards....but hey, time will tell.

Trav

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
I don't get the logic behind it,...no fishing for bass in certain areas means no pressure on bass in certain areas. No pressure means they are free to grow. To fishing means no reduction in numbers,...so what they will end up with is in essence a trophy fishery with no fishing....Am I wrong?
I think your logic's correct with respect to the waters that have already been invaded; however, my understanding is that the ban is intended to discourage bucket biologists from ruining other lakes (e.g., why go through the trouble and risk to lug buckets of SMB to a lake that is in an area subject to the ban?).

I'm not sure if it will work, either, but it's an interesting move.

Paul

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree with what your saying about pressure and such but...
could also be that people wouldn't be trying to catch smallmouth but poaching other species that aren't even supposed to be fished yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts