Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey IBVFD I was wondering where you were, haven't seen you on the hunting site and was wondering if you got that ol monster buck you had the vid. of last year ?

·
Registered
212 Posts
rpts will be limited to tides, water levels and type of activity i see on the rivers this year.

late april early may we start fishing these rivers

I never got that monster this year but I did get one of his off spring a nice 9 pt that walked within 30 m of my platform.

I will try to update more with news on the species

thx
Owen

·
Banned
767 Posts
rpts will be limited to tides, water levels and type of activity i see on the rivers this year.

late april early may we start fishing these rivers

I never got that monster this year but I did get one of his off spring a nice 9 pt that walked within 30 m of my platform.

I will try to update more with news on the species

thx
Owen
Hi Owen;

You do a great job of informing us wrt stripers, and although I have yet to target them, I thank you. This year I plan to try a fly for them.

Have you heard any buzz wrt conservation measures for the Shuby/Stu run, as yet?

thanks,

chuck

·
Registered
91 Posts
Owen,

Its almost time again! Do you know if there is anything being done up for recording the fish this year? I know Barry was talking about it last year. If you guys have something made up for doing so Im game to share the info.

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
HI Owen,
Great to see that you are back running this thread again this year! Just noticed that you mentioned the ongoing tagging studies, see my blurb below.

Hello Striper Anglers,

I am once again looking for your assistance with ongoing tracking studies examining the migration patterns of striped bass in the Minas Basin. There will be lots of bass being caught in just a few short weeks, and I would like to ask for your help by looking out for tagged bass. All of our fish have been tagged with blue, 3.5", spaghetti tags. The tags are located at the front of the first dorsal fin, just below the spines. If you catch one of these fish I would love to hear about it, and I would be looking for the following information:

1)Tag number (example. J1234, all tags are blue and begin with the letter "J" followed by a series of 4 numbers)
2)Location caught - nearest town, beach, fishing hole, or even GPS coordinates if you want to get really technical.
3)Date caught

Also - during 2010 with the gracious assistance of the Striped Bass Anglers Association of NS (SBAANS) and many local anglers from the Stewiacke area we surgically implanted acoustic tracking transmitters in 43 large striped bass. Later in the season we surgically implanted another 37 schoolie sized fish in Minas Basin with acoustic transmitters. Out of 80 fish tagged we detected 79 fish at our acoustic receiver listening stations throughout the summer season. We will be continuing this project again this year and will be heading to Stewiacke to tag more fish in the coming weeks.
What to look for? Striped bass implanted with transmitters can be identified by the presence of a small scar on the side of the belly and just in front of the anus. It is possible that suture material might also be visible. All fish implanted with a tracking transmitter were also tagged with a blue spaghetti tag. If you should happen to catch one of these fish please consider releasing it; if released alive it will continue to provide us with useful information about the species.

If you should catch any tagged striped bass I would love to hear about it! Please spread the word about this study to other anglers.

Contact Me:
Jeremy Broome

NSF ID: jballs (send me a message or post on a striped bass thread)

Email: [email protected]

Mail:
Jeremy Broome
Acadia Centre for Estuarine Research, Acadia University
P.O. Box 115 Wolfville, NS
B4P 2R6

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hi Jeremy,

The more we learn about these fish the better off we all will be. I congratulate you for your work and if I am lucky enough to catch one of your fish I will release it and let you know.

Cheers,

James

·
457 Posts
jballs i got a tag one on blue beach last year
but was not equipped to record the info i didn't even have a cell phone with me
ill be sure to have my cell phone with me and possibly a writing apparatus
this year
he/she went back kicking and hopefully ill have a bump in with him/her this year

·
Registered
212 Posts
A Peeper told me they are on their way Owen.
Yeah the peepers have been out a few days now. Some bass have followed the smelts in and some are kicking around.

Like I said they should start to come up with this moon tide this weekend.

Jballs, Can you do me a favor and email me a copy of implanted fish. I will keep and eye and hear out. That way if anyone catches one and is unaware of tagging project I can let them know and check for tags and implants.

thx
Owen

·
Registered
124 Posts
WE were fishing the Shubie yesterday and on the incoming tide there were 3 seals went by us that we saw , One bass caught that we hear of yesterday , Not many fish in yet i don't believe Anybody else have any opinions ???

1 - 20 of 209 Posts