Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where Do You Like to Fish Stripers More?
What Loacation For Stripers Do You Prefer?
Stewiacke1025.00%
Shubenacadie1025.00%
Guzzle12.50%
Annapolis25.00%
Bay Of fundy1537.50%
Grand Lake25.00%

·
Registered
41 Posts
Some Success this year so far for stripers, Shubie was hot super early, and picking up the odd one in Stewiacke this year, How is everyone else doing?, they seemed to have slowed down a lot as of late, and minimal spawn action so far?, correct me if i'm wrong!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a few days that were pretty decent. Got my first couple in Grand Lake Early, Had a lot of success in Shubie not too long after for a brief time frame around those hot days we had early in April. As far as Stewiacke go I have caught a few recently from the boat and about 5 from shore since the beginning of May, but as far as I can tell the numbers in the river are low compared to the last few years. Why I'm not really sure. Does anyone know what the water Temperature is around roughly for the Stewiacke?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I have only been out twice this year and got skunked both times. In fact, all of us there on those 2 days got skunked. I was fishing up from the kennel in Stewiacke. I use orange Swim Shad lures. They were great last year and the year before but nothing this year. I fished on the rising tide and when the tide was up. Have to try again though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been fishing a few hours after the high tide and having some action up river in a boat from the kennels, although i have hooked a few at the kennels shore fishing they have been few and far between. i've been out 10+ times now. I didn't start fishing Stewiacke until the end of april and not in a boat until last weekend.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've been fishing a few hours after the high tide and having some action up river in a boat from the kennels, although i have hooked a few at the kennels shore fishing they have been few and far between. i've been out 10+ times now. I didn't start fishing Stewiacke until the end of april and not in a boat until last weekend.
Saw some nice fish taken early on all keepers...and lots of bigger size fish...a keeper has eluded me as of yet...but if the river is still going I might take a try again next week.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
for those of you who prefer bait fishing to lures, I've tried Berkley Gulp sandworms from Hnatiuks and they wern't too bad, I've gave him a suggestion with trying to get the new Berkley Gulp Alive Sandworms, Not sure if they game in yet but if they do let me, or i'll let ya know

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I'm suprised that Owen (IBFD) is not posting in this thread. Perhaps he is unaware that the new, and improved site is up and running again. Owen seems to be the Striper SME for the Stewiacke/Shubie rivers in the past. I miss his enthusiastic and v knowledgeable posts. Regards.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
ive been fishign the shubie, havent had a sksunked day yet,m brought out 2 or 3 at least all over 30 inches every trip, biggest one we brought out so far was 39, by my friends father, and 35 by my buddy and 34 by me, even my girlfriend has been having a ton of luck and she hsa never fished em before.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When was the last time you were fishing Shubie, I switched from there to Stewiacke Early May/The end of April because it slowed down quite a bit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hahahha... I like the voting, no one likes the guzzle anymore! I went a couple of night tides there last year and it wasn't busy at all, still caught a couple of keepers. Not like the combat fishing it use to be, reason I left in the first place.

Missed Owen this year... his info is second to none.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hahahha... I like the voting, no one likes the guzzle anymore! I went a couple of night tides there last year and it wasn't busy at all, still caught a couple of keepers. Not like the combat fishing it use to be, reason I left in the first place.

Missed Owen this year... his info is second to none.
Never fished the Guzzle myself, Yeh Owen and Barry are both very knowledgeable. Owen (IBVFD) is on here but has been very quiet!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has anyone been down this week????, what are some lures people use?, a few of my favs are 4" mr twister grubs with a good hook, or a 4" original floater rapala is good on the troll!,

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey all.I'm mostly a Surf guy, but am thinkin of fishin the rivers when the keeper season starts again.June 11th I believe?You guys still hit some good schools at this time?I've heard different reviews.But that's Striper fishin.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey all.I'm mostly a Surf guy, but am thinkin of fishin the rivers when the keeper season starts again.June 11th I believe?You guys still hit some good schools at this time?I've heard different reviews.But that's Striper fishin.
You might be better off fishing the surf lol, last few time i been out to stew, its been dead. the odd one here and there. was out this afternoon in the rain and nar a bite, no one fishing either...not a good sign, and not getting much input from anyone else on the subject. your best bet is to wait unti after a few hot days and try it out, once the water warms up more fish should travel up to spawn, if they havent already. water has to be around 64 degrees for ideal conditions for the fish to spawn lots of fish coming up one the fish finder but i dont believe its stripers but than again i could be wrong????

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was up about 3 weeks ago using Mackeral for bait and never had a bite after 2 hours other than the odd eel. I was fishing at the kennel...a few people came along using sandworms and had 4 fish within half an hour...one was a keeper. I generally fish with a lure in Stewiacke but have lots of success in the BOF with mackeral...I guess it wasn't the flavor of the day. Anyone using prawn in Stewiacke?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have always found stripers to be extremely bait specific,don't be stubborn. Don't restrict yourself to one bait,my default choice is usually smelt if all else is failing.I don't do much striper fishing in the bay till Sept.- Oct. and mostly nights we land what would be considered a large number of fish in the 10 -25lb. range. I personally believe alot of these fish are out in the Fundy till then. The old timers around here never started fishing till then and would fish into Nov. I fish Walton to Maitland area.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts