Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how many licenses were sold last year?

I'd like to fire off an email to Minister Belliveau to remind him how many voters he is pissing off right now, especially if they are waiting for April 1st to capture the extra 2% on the licenses. I would suggest we all do it...just flood his email box.

At the very least have him authorize sale of licenses without the booklet.

apparently he has three email addresses...i say flood them all!

It's our right to let our politicians know we're pissed off.

Minister Belliveau

Minister Belliveau

Minister Belliveau

·
To do nothing is unacceptable.
2,726 Posts
"More than 63,000 residents purchased fishing licences in 2010", according to a news release on the Fisheries and Aquaculture website.

I, more than agree with your frustration regarding the 2011 Sport Fishing Licence issue. Spent all day trying to get a straight answer from our beloved public employees. Fisheries blames Service Nova Scotia. Who in turn guided me to the person in charge of Licence Vendors (she is out of town until next month!), which led to a subordinate. This individual blamed the late issue of Handbooks on DFO! Yet, there were Handbooks at the Sports Show on the 11th of March.

DNR (Waverly) has licences and no handbooks. They wouldn't sell a licence without a handbook even though there isn't any such regulation according to my sources.

Some vendors have licence - no handbook. Won't sell! Others have handbook - no licences! While still others have licences without handbooks but are selling.

It is obvious that there has been some sort of serious blunder or scheme on behalf of those who are responsible for the Guardianship of our favourite past-time. Perhaps, if enough of us push for answers we may avert this from happening again. At least let the powers that be know we're not happy.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Minister Belliveau,

I am writing on behalf of all recreational fishermen in the province of Nova Scotia. The opening day of the fishing season is the most anticipated day that recreational fishermen wait for each and every year. Many will take days off work, despite lost wages and trek hours to their favorite fishing hole. Many more will get up early to make the most of opening day. Traditionally, fishing licenses have been available long before the opening day. My understanding is that this year while licenses are available at some outlets, not all, vendors are not allowed to sell them due to them not having the accompanying handbook that goes with the license. Given that last year's sales of fishing licenses topped more than 63,000, I find it troubling that this government has not taken this matter seriously enough to be able to provide this service in a timely manner.
There is further concern that the government is dragging it's heals in order to benefit from an additional 2% "service fee" which takes effect on April 1st. We fishermen, certainly hope that this is not the case, because if it is, 63,000+ VOTERS will not be terribly impressed. Fishermen have very good memories and take their sport seriously enough that this will undoubtedly be in the forefront of their minds when they step behind the cardboard to fill in our ballots during the next Provincial election.

Obviously the best desired result is to have handbooks and licenses available at outlets as soon as tomorrow so that the thousands of fishermen can get their fix and not worry about losing their day out on the waters due to lack of action by the government. At the very least, given that the handbook is available on line, I would ask that you authorize sale of licenses with out the handbook until such time they are available. If neither of these two conditions can be met then I would ask the Minister to allow for a grace period to those who still have their licenses from last year, until such time the government can make these available to the public.

Sincerely,

John Q. Fisherman

copy, paste and send!

·
Registered
18 Posts
License or not, I'm itching to get out there. If I have to I'll fish in the pond outback until I can get one...lol

·
Registered
249 Posts
So, I got my book from DNR 3 weeks ago at the boat show. But they had no liscenses. So now they got no books for the stores???, I took my book to the store and I said I already have one. SO they didn`t argue. Doesn`t make sense though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I finally got my license today in Yarmouth, but there are no books and they didn't know why. I'm going to assume it has to due with the changes that were implemented and not changed in the books. They do however have the corrections available online, but not everyone has acess to a compuer. Perhaps this is why the books are late? Re-printing maybe?

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
JC's for me, too; thanks for the heads-up!

The rumour was floating around that the licences were sent late to the vendors because the government hadn't set the price until very recently. However, if you compare your 2011 licence to your 2010 licence, you'll see that the price is no longer printed on it.
Perhaps we should urge Sterling to start working on the 2012 licences NOW! If they aren't going to print the price on them, it shouldn't matter. Of course Sterling's name is printed on them too, so perhaps they should hold off on the printing until we get a competent Minister of Fisheries and Aquaculture - or is that an oxymoron?

Cheers,
Paul

Reactions: pmorris

·
Registered
666 Posts
I got mine from Canadian Tire in Sackville and I have a handbook from the RV show... but I know a lot of people who are still trying to get theirs so they can make the day tomorrow... rough go

·
Registered
288 Posts
Got a reply today...

Thank you for your email of March 30, 2011 to our Minister, the Honourable Sterling Belliveau. Mr. Belliveau has requested that I respond to you on his behalf. We apologize for the general fishing licences not being available until late this year. In spite of our efforts to ensure the licences are at the vendors by mid- March, there was a delay this year. We work closely with Service Nova Scotia to ensure all licences and 2011 Anglers' Handbooks are in the hands of the 400+ vendors in Nova Scotia before the opening of the general fishing season. It is my understanding that almost all vendors now have their licence inventory, while most are waiting for delivery of the Anglers' Handbook. The 2011 Anglers' Handbook is now online:
http://gov.ns.ca/fish/sportfishing/angling/ .
The price of the Angling licences includes the 2% increase in general service fees, which is applied to all services and permits provided by the Provincial government effective April 1, 2011.
While it is the responsibility of anglers to know the sportfishing regulations, and we instruct vendors to provide anglers with a copy of the Anglers' Handbook and summary of regulations, it is not a requirement to provide a hard copy of the Anglers' Handbook in order to purchase a licence. Many vendors have been selling licences and letting customers know the Anglers' Handbook is available on-line, or some vendors have reminded customers to ask for their copy of the Anglers' Handbook the next time they visit the store.
We have asked Service Nova Scotia to inform vendors that they may sell licences immediately, however, this information may take some time to filter down to the individual clerks at the various vendors around Nova Scotia.
In order to ensure timely delivery of licences and Anglers' Handbooks in future years, our staff will perform an audit of the licencing process which includes public consultation on proposed regulatory changes, consultation with Federal Fisheries, enforcement, management and licencing staff, Service Nova Scotia, Communications Nova Scotia, a private contractor for the Anglers Handbook.
While we are confident we will be able to deliver licences and Anglers' Handbooks by mid-March to the vendors in future years, my Department has been working with the Department of Natural Resources and Service Nova Scotia and Municipal Relations to be able to provide the option for anglers to purchase their fishing licences on-line.
Again, please accept my apology for the late delivery of the angling licences and Anglers' Handbooks this year Sincerely, Don MacLean

Donald A. MacLean
Director Inland Fisheries Division
NS Fisheries & Aquaculture
PO Box 700, Pictou, N.S.
B0K 1H0
Phone: (902) 485-7021
Fax: (902) 485-4014
email: [email protected]

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
In order to ensure timely delivery of licences and Anglers' Handbooks in future years, our staff will perform an audit of the licencing process which includes public consultation on proposed regulatory changes, consultation with Federal Fisheries, enforcement, management and licencing staff, Service Nova Scotia, Communications Nova Scotia, a private contractor for the Anglers Handbook.
WHAT??? No Royal Commission??? No judicial inquiry???

Fer Chrissakes, doesn't the quoted paragraph say it all about bureaucracy? Newsflash, Don: you don't need an audit; you don't need public consultation; you don't need Federal consultation. In fact. the only consultation you need is with Larry the Cable Guy: Git-R-Done!!!

Reactions: pmorris
1 - 13 of 13 Posts