Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
613 Posts

Event Date: 05-June 10 7:00 (Single Day Event)

The Sheet Harbour & Area Ground Search & Rescue is holding their 15th Annual Fish Derby Fundraiser on Saturday June 5th, 2010, at the Marshall Falls Flowage on Highway #374, North of Sheet Harbour. Events include a Children's Fish Tank and Fly & Spin Casting Competition. Canteen & Washrooms on-site.

Registration starts at 7:00am, fishing between 8:00am-3:00pm, with
presentations of awards/prizes to follow.

NO FISHING LICENCE IS REQUIRED FOR THE WEEKEND.

Tickets for the Event: Youth (15 & under) is $5. Adult (16& older) is $10, sold on site or can be purchased through any member of the Sheet Harbour & Area GSAR Team; or by dropping by when our vehicle has the display setup between Gammons Hardware and the Scotiabank, usually on Thursday & Friday Evenings, or Saturday Afternoons.

Please come out to support Ground Search & Rescue and have a fun family day of fishing!

Thank you for your support.

Here are the approximate GPS coordinates for the derby registration area:

N 45.01.039
W 62.28.869

·
Registered
296 Posts
looks like a great turn out. I remember fishing Kelly lake down Moser River on opening day, the shores were lined with people waiting for the starter pistol.I have only fished Marshall Falls a few times.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks like a great turn out. I remember fishing Kelly lake down Moser River on opening day, the shores were lined with people waiting for the starter pistol.I have only fished Marshall Falls a few times.
Hey Scott,
I have heard lots of good stories about the Kelly Lake area in Moser River. This was once a great place to visit for fishing and camping! Now, that being said, you would be disgusted if you saw that place today! The fish rearing ponds are gone, as well as the campground that was once in the area. There is still the remains of the old DNR camp there, but the local vandals have the place so destroyed, that it is no longer safe to use!!!!

Anyhow, on a lighter note.......................the annual fish derby at the Marshal Flowage is always a great time for young and old alike! And from what I heard, this years event was about the best to date! This derby is the only fundraiser for our local GSAR team, and it raises funds to keep the team going. And THANKS to all that attended the event!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hey Scott,
I have heard lots of good stories about the Kelly Lake area in Moser River. This was once a great place to visit for fishing and camping! Now, that being said, you would be disgusted if you saw that place today! The fish rearing ponds are gone, as well as the campground that was once in the area. There is still the remains of the old DNR camp there, but the local vandals have the place so destroyed, that it is no longer safe to use!!!!

Anyhow, on a lighter note.......................the annual fish derby at the Marshal Flowage is always a great time for young and old alike! And from what I heard, this years event was about the best to date! This derby is the only fundraiser for our local GSAR team, and it raises funds to keep the team going. And THANKS to all that attended the event!!
Yah I was disgusted when I seen the aftermath years later!This place flourished at one time with their own fish farm and everything,My grandfather to me there some 30 years ago and I have fond memmories of the place. If you are from down that way I'm sure we know some of the same people from the area.Pye's,Nauglers,Paces and Jewers to name but a few.I wish I knew about this in advance.I think this thread should be at the top of the forums.Next year I'd like to get down east for this for sure.Glad it was a great success and for a good cause.
REMEMBER FOLKS SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SEARCH AND RESCUE!!!..GET LOST!!

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Scott,
you can mark you calendar for the first weekend in June next year for this annual event.

Hopefully, we will have our own website set up for next years derby, and will be selling tickets online!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts