Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi Chuck and All
They reproduce well in some PEI rivers. Much larger fish that that one have been caught. If 15% are from natural hatching, you can be sure they are well on the way to establishing a local population.
Have a nice day
Paul

·
1,353 Posts
I was wondering about the dimensions. 26 ins long girth 15 ins. The standard formula for trout is lenghth X Girth squared divided by 800 equals weight. I believe the weight is correct but lenght and girth must be a miss print. Just saying!

·
Banned
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Chuck and All
They reproduce well in some PEI rivers. Much larger fish that that one have been caught. If 15% are from natural hatching, you can be sure they are well on the way to establishing a local population.
Have a nice day
Paul
Good to know, Paul. Thanks.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Triploids were just stocked in the bras d'or this Oct. we should have some good fishin in a couple years if the fishhogs dont keep them all.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Triploids in the Bras D'or, if people would leave them grow it could be quite the fishery. But from what I've seen over the years on the Bras D'or I wouldn't get my hopes up. Also, 20-40Lb bows would be niced, but what impact are they going to have on the other fish in the lakes. I think they should spend the money somewhere else than stocking invasives.

·
Registered
250 Posts
There may be a size restriction introduced, it's on the books to review it. I would like to see the Triploids do well...they certainly have lots to eat on the Bras d'Or....if only they could make it past the winter fishery. Guys must feel some proud taking five 10" stocked trout home every night and hurry back out to make sure no one else has a crack.

There must be a typo in the article...I agree with Perry, the numbers don't add up!

The largest Bow that I know of caught out of the Bras d'Or is 18lbs, while ice fishing....problem is that the guy never filled in the proper paper work to have it recorded.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mushamush, the bows in PEI near where I lived were all of hatchery origin. I lived on the Cardigan river, and the steelhead there were mostly hatchery escapes, or returns that spawned. The Valleyfield River has had returning fish up to 20lbs. That started from a u-fish operated in the headwaters of a once decent salmon stream. I worked for Fish & Wildlife in PEI for Summers as a kid cleaning streams, and we electrofished out quite a few in the 2-5lb range in '88. Fastforward 20+ years & do the math. They're still there.

And yes, I agree too, the math doesn't add up on the CB fish.

·
Registered
423 Posts
With respect to the math on the CB Bow I thought I throw something in here. Although my numbers refer to Brown Trout I can relate three incidents of fish in the low teens class by weight. The first was 27 inches with a 13.5 inch girth. weighing 10lbs, on an old set of spring scales. The second was a 29 inch fish with an 18 inch girth. It was weighed on accurate bakers scales 27 hours after it was caught, it weighed 13 lbs 5 ounces. It was stored in a Coleman cooler until we returned home. The third was a 29.5 incher and I can't remember the exact girth but I think it was around 15.5 to 16 inches. It weighed in at 12.5 lbs., on grocery store scales near the river, about 1/2 hour after it was caught. "I couldn't stand it I had to know". It looked a lot heavier in the moment?

Now I don't know if there is a correlation with Bow's and Brown's but the 26in / 15 girth of the Cb Bow just doesn't measure up either in my mind. Probably a strong 10lb. Although, I have also caught a 24 inch brown that went over 9lbs,a real football, so who knows?

·
Registered
32 Posts
The writers for the CB post are shitty at best. Im surprised they even got the rainbow part right and didnt call it a speckle. Im sure its a typo with the length and girth. The fish certainly looks like it could be 12 pounder to me.

18 pounder Aaron?? thats insane!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
The writers for the CB post are shitty at best. Im surprised they even got the rainbow part right and didnt call it a speckle. Im sure its a typo with the length and girth. The fish certainly looks like it could be 12 pounder to me.

18 pounder Aaron?? thats insane!!
every year for the last 10 years or so there are several rainbows caught in the bras dor that go from 15 to 20 lbs.caught a few myself.seen some that might even be bigger in the locks in st.peters.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts