#1 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:08 AM

I want to get into ice fishing this year and don't have a rod for it.. I'm not really sure what I need though.. found this one at canadian tire

http://www.canadiant...o.jsp?locale=en

Is that a good combo? Is the reel the same as a regular reel?

I'm looking to spend as little as possible (of course I don't want something so cheap it's gonna break) Can I use my regular reel?

Also what should I use for bait/tackle? When fishing for pickerel? And also when fishing for trout?

Thank you!
Posted Image

#2 Robbie Hiltz

Robbie Hiltz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • LocationThe Valley

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:05 AM

Billy, that is a great combo. For trout, the chartreuse ice fishing rapala is a killer. As is a small piece of shrimp on a small beadhead hook. Good Luck!
The best things in life aren't things

#3 trouter

trouter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationColchester County

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:13 AM

My buddy has that rod and it has worked great for him. Im not sure you can tell by that ad or not but when I was in the Truro Canadian tire the other day they had a 2 pack of Berkley ice rods for 39.99 and im pretty sure it was the same rod/reel as this. Either way it is a good rod and a good deal.Myself I ordered a Whuppin stick ultra lite from Cabela's last year. Great little rod, I have 4 lb test on it. Makes even catching small pickerel exciting.

#4 Transplant

Transplant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:40 AM

Check your canadian tire flyer, they have a couple kits on sale this week.

#5 trouter

trouter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationColchester County

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:52 AM

They do sell a rod alone for 9.99. I did buy this but it is not worth it IMO. On a cold day all the clear coat cracked and the rod seems like an old stick would have more feel that it.

As for Bait I use Gulp alive 3" leeches(Shortts lake is loaded with leeches) on a small jig, Also I use small berkley twister tails on a small jig. I have even a few times stuck on a rapala countdown small silver baitfish lure and have caught them with that. My buddy uses bacon and has sucess with that but id rather use my artificials and eat the bacon.

#6 Carl

Carl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationWellington

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:24 AM

Great advice from trouter. Gulp alive leeches are my new go-to bait after last season. I bought that combo as well and have been happy with it.

#7 Hardcore Angler

Hardcore Angler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSouth Shore

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:47 AM

That's a nice little combo to get ya started for sure bud. You wanna spend as little as possible and I hear ya. You're starting out and not sure if its for you yet. Wait til your hooked then you can start spending on the luxury items if ya want, but for now that combo will get you going. It looks like it comes with a spring bobber too, which is a great little ice fishing invention if you ask me.

Do you have an auger? If not, I'm sure someone on the ice would lend you there's, but If your out there alone it might not help you out.

I'd say if you want to get into ice fishing, get yourself a nice little combo like that one, a hand auger 6 or 8 inches is a good place to start. I like the 8 myself just because the holes a little bigger and if you catch that monster trout or pickerel, you want him to be able to get through the hole lol. B). And get a cheap plastic ice skimmer for skimming your holes. They are cheap and do break pretty easy when they get cold, but they do the job and are quite cheap as mentioned. ( by the time you break 3 or 4, or lose a few down the hole, you may want to spend a few more dollars on a metal one lol.)

For trout get some power bait or gulp trout dough ( orange, and pink are my favs. but other colors work too.) I have great luck with tiny marabou jigs I tie up too, that I tip with gulp maggots. I have never used shrimp but It seemed to work pretty well for others, while I ice fished for steel head in ontario.

For Pickerel any of the gulp products will work, Williams spoons, jigging raps etc. I have pretty good success on buck tail jigs I tie up in various colors also, that I tip with gulp minnows, or small strips of salt pork.

#8 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:48 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone! All of it is definitely helpful lol.

Will post back when I pick some stuff up!
Posted Image

#9 ouird

ouird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationProspect Bay

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

I just picked up the combo bucket Canadian tire has on sale.
although its a nice combo, the reel you get with it isnt good.
im glad i only paid $40, if i had paid the regular price, i would have been pissed

i also picked up this rod and reel:
http://www.canadiant...n.jsp?locale=en

i played with all of the ones they had, and this was my personal preference.
the reel on the above was smooth, the drag was nice, with 3 ball bearings it felt good.

eventually ill get more, but as for now, this is it.
I picked up some line, and a few lures, but nothing special. its too bad they wait so long to put stuff out, but what can ya do. i was going to pick stuff up online, but never got around to it.

Dress to Swim, Rig to Flip
http://canadiankayakanglers.com/
Blog:
http://yak4fish.com/
Facebook page
https://www.facebook...sonKayakFishing
Twitter
@JohnGibson76

#10 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

That's a nice little combo to get ya started for sure bud. You wanna spend as little as possible and I hear ya. You're starting out and not sure if its for you yet. Wait til your hooked then you can start spending on the luxury items if ya want, but for now that combo will get you going. It looks like it comes with a spring bobber too, which is a great little ice fishing invention if you ask me.

Do you have an auger? If not, I'm sure someone on the ice would lend you there's, but If your out there alone it might not help you out.

I'd say if you want to get into ice fishing, get yourself a nice little combo like that one, a hand auger 6 or 8 inches is a good place to start. I like the 8 myself just because the holes a little bigger and if you catch that monster trout or pickerel, you want him to be able to get through the hole lol. B). And get a cheap plastic ice skimmer for skimming your holes. They are cheap and do break pretty easy when they get cold, but they do the job and are quite cheap as mentioned. ( by the time you break 3 or 4, or lose a few down the hole, you may want to spend a few more dollars on a metal one lol.)

For trout get some power bait or gulp trout dough ( orange, and pink are my favs. but other colors work too.) I have great luck with tiny marabou jigs I tie up too, that I tip with gulp maggots. I have never used shrimp but It seemed to work pretty well for others, while I ice fished for steel head in ontario.

For Pickerel any of the gulp products will work, Williams spoons, jigging raps etc. I have pretty good success on buck tail jigs I tie up in various colors also, that I tip with gulp minnows, or small strips of salt pork.

not to hijack but....how tiny a marabou jig 1/32? and what is a productive color? have you had any luck just with the jig and no maggot? think I might try it and change it up a bit.

Walmart has the metal skimmer for 3.97 only a dollar more than the plastic one..I've broke a few of those too lol
please practice a sustainable harvest

#11 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:48 AM

I picked up the rod locker combo that comes with 2 rods/reels.

Good enough for this year, maybe I'll upgrade next year lol.. my father also bought an ice hut for $100 from giant tiger, and said I can borrow it for the year !
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users