18 replies to this topic

#1 EvilSquish

EvilSquish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:08 PM

I was out again today, for the 4th time since the water's been hard, and I've been having a blast... but the whole time I've been out, I've seen people come and go and not a single person I've seen so far has marked their hole when they left! I've made it a policy to mark my hole with sticks and branches CLEARLY every time I've cut into the ice, and earlier today I had the living hell scared out of me when I went out on the ice and my foot went through a freshly concealed hole that was just snow covered enough to not be recognized as a hole! If this was a bigger hole, or a kid (I am planning on taking my son on the ice many times to fish with me this year!) how bad would this have been??? Why is it so hard to go out, enjoy yourselves on the ice, and then actually put a marker where you were?? I would hate to hear on the news any deaths related to ice fishing irresponsibility!
Here fishy fishy fishy!

#2 mushamush

mushamush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:33 PM

Ah Yes Evil - Well said!
I remember as a lad finding one of those holes - next thing I knew I was on the bottom trying to find the hole to come up through.
I know what a seal feels like. Just then I saw it and popped out.
Cold, wet and a whole lot smarter!
Good post you made
Paul

#3 EvilSquish

EvilSquish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

Ah Yes Evil - Well said!
I remember as a lad finding one of those holes - next thing I knew I was on the bottom trying to find the hole to come up through.
I know what a seal feels like. Just then I saw it and popped out.
Cold, wet and a whole lot smarter!
Good post you made
Paul

Glad your experience ended with you above water breathing Paul. That really spooked me something. There's no excuse for that kind of neglect.
Here fishy fishy fishy!

#4 Shimanoman

Shimanoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationWaverley, Nova Scotia

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:12 AM

Stupidity breaks out in great clumps in our world which is also populated by a lot of lazy people who truly exhibit the first trait. Regards...
Life is too short, to take too much, too seriously, for too long ....Vernon P.Fraser

#5 Markus

Markus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:18 AM

I dont mark my holes. When perch fishing, I use a 4IN auger and for pickeral and trout I use a 6IN auger. I dont feel the holes are a danger.

8IN holes can be bad for todlers, so parents should be aware of that when taking kids out on the ice.

10IN holes should always be marked. Best case is a wet leg, worse case is a broken leg. It'd have to be a serious freak accident for someone to die. There's more chance of someone slipping and banging their head than there is dieing in a 10IN hole.

Safety is your responsibility as well. Be aware.

#6 Carl

Carl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationWellington

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:53 AM

I never mark my holes but I don't fish on less than 8 inches of ice. Usually by the time there's 8+ inches it's so cold that the holes freeze up very quickly. Not saying it's a bad idea, cause it is a good habit to get into, I just never considered it dire with a 6 inch hole. I'd be more concerned about the 200+ lb guys who walk on 4 inches of ice without wearing floater coats or life jackets. If you ask me, that's nuts. I always wear a suit and my kids always wear a life jacket on the ice.

#7 mushamush

mushamush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:58 AM

Hi Carl and All
Small 10 in holes are one thing - you would need be very small for anything to happen there. Not going to happen with me! ( lol )
Where they ice fish with shakes for smelts they cut holes maybe 4 ft x 2ft - this for spearing. The bigger the better. Great sport.
Anyway some of the old timers used to put brush in the hole - made it a lot easier to remake the hole in the future.
The fellows who made the hole that I found had moved on to another place so didn't care about that hole and a little drifted snow done the rest.
Sport fishing claims a lot of lives summer and winter and as Markus says quite rightly "Safety is your responsibility as well. Be aware."
Have a safe winter
Paul

#8 Hardcore Angler

Hardcore Angler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSouth Shore

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:55 AM

Stupidity breaks out in great clumps in our world which is also populated by a lot of lazy people who truly exhibit the first trait. Regards...

Sad but true

#9 Shienar

Shienar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:52 PM

i dont tend to mark my holes
a lot of times due to where im fishing
in the hrm lakes most of the wooded property around the lakes
is considered park land and i dont want to mess with it
also also on the smaller lake certain areas of the lakes are fished more
and very frequently and after about a week of everyone marking their holes
it would look like a forest out there
also its probably just me but having a bunch of sticks
pointing out of a slippery surface like ice has always
seemed to me to be almost as dangerous as droping your foot in a hole

what usually do is leave the cuttings around piled up around the whole
so that they stay fairly visable and hopfully leave a mound if the snow blows over them
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 Seabass

Seabass

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

I've don't marked any holes either, like Markus said under 8 inch auger I too don't think its that much of a safety hazard on a ice fishing pond. If every lake was open perhaps it would be more of a problem but most ponds\lakes are "winter fishing" body of waters. 10 inch holes or "cut" holes YES completely 100%, would mark it.

#11 EvilSquish

EvilSquish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:55 PM

Smaller holes can still be just as harmful. My son isn't a big kid and if he stepped in a 6" hole he'd still sink his entire leg down it. A marked hole doesn't have to be sticks or branches, the snow mound around a hole would certainly stand out more than a flat unmarked surface.

I certainly use caution when being on the ice, but you can't crawl to your spot to fish. When my foot when in that hole, if I was walking a bit faster or clumsier I could've very well injured myself a whole lot more than what had happened (sprained ankle, etc) I'm just thinking if you're out and about, just make the hole safer for someone else.
Here fishy fishy fishy!

#12 Shienar

Shienar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:10 PM

Smaller holes can still be just as harmful. My son isn't a big kid and if he stepped in a 6" hole he'd still sink his entire leg down it. A marked hole doesn't have to be sticks or branches, the snow mound around a hole would certainly stand out more than a flat unmarked surface.

I certainly use caution when being on the ice, but you can't crawl to your spot to fish. When my foot when in that hole, if I was walking a bit faster or clumsier I could've very well injured myself a whole lot more than what had happened (sprained ankle, etc) I'm just thinking if you're out and about, just make the hole safer for someone else.

agreed anything that can be done helps
droped a foot into a hole coming off grand lake one evening

i seen the guys fishing in closer to where i get on the lake
but i didnt think i was that close to their spot
next thing i know im in a pile on the ice with my bucket and auger

not only did they not try to make their holes visible in any way
they were nice enough to fill the in with snow before they left
with the blowing snow you couldnt tell anyone had been there
and they only left 15min or so before i called it quits
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 ___

___

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

just in responce to the title of the thread...safety is not an option, it is common-sense that seems to be the option (at safety's expense), in most cases. lol hahha :)

#14 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

I am guilty of not marking my holes alot this year, thanks for the reminder. You are right if you keep the snow piled up around it it helps and the hole doesn't freeze over as fast when you are fishing, which is what I do but just so you know we marked them today ;)
please practice a sustainable harvest

#15 EvilSquish

EvilSquish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

agreed anything that can be done helps
droped a foot into a whole coming off grand lake one evening

i seen the guys fishing in closer to where i get on the lake
but i didnt think i was that close to their spot
next thing i know im in a pile on the ice with my bucket and auger

not only did they not try to make their holes visible in any way
they were nice enough to fill the in with snow before they left
with the blowing snow you couldnt tell anyone had been there
and they only left 15min or so before i called it quits

Geez man glad you're ok! It's only a matter of time before someone lands on their head!

Getting a few good responses here.. it's funny how the "little things" are so easily overlooked... all the effort to get through the ice and spend a fun day out and all to leave a hole for the next guy to fall in.
Here fishy fishy fishy!

#16 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:37 AM

From page 43 of the Angler's Handbook:

ATTENTION ICE FISHERMAN!

Section 263 of Part VIII of the Criminal Code of Canada states:

“Every one who makes or causes to be made an opening in ice that is open to or frequented by the public is under a legal duty to guard it in a manner that is adequate to prevent persons from falling in by accident and is adequate to warn them that the opening exists.”

Please ensure the safety of others by making any ice openings as small as possible and clearly marking them after you leave.

Serving Nova Scotians

Since 1874

I started reading a book about anti-gravity and I just couldn't put it down.

#17 Gregory

Gregory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:38 AM

Noted

#18 Markus

Markus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:49 AM

I've never seen that print. I'm curious though, is it directed at larger areas of ice that are cut out for smelt fishing? It says "to prevent persons from falling in". I cant see how a person would fall in if you left a 6IN hole on the ice.

#19 EvilSquish

EvilSquish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:44 PM

I've never seen that print. I'm curious though, is it directed at larger areas of ice that are cut out for smelt fishing? It says "to prevent persons from falling in". I cant see how a person would fall in if you left a 6IN hole on the ice.

What happened to me was my foot caught the hole and I started to fall in, if I wasn't quick enough I could've had my leg go under and caused some serious harm. As with another story up in this post, it ended with him falling completely as a result of a hole. A leg can be broken and a head can certainly be busted on the ice from a 6" hole.
Here fishy fishy fishy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users