#1 trout snout

trout snout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Locationhalifax

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:59 PM

my second build I decided to build a rod for my bro for christmas in exchange he would tie some flies for me wrapped it in what seems like record time for me. Looking down the rod making sure the guides are lined up perfectly guides 2 and 3 were swapped guess i need to take my time next time at least i didn't resin it lol.

#2 trout snout

trout snout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Locationhalifax

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:29 PM

I was just wondering if anyone has inscribed a rod and what they use. I plan to build for a couple people and would like to personalize them any help would be great.

thanks mat

#3 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

I have wove the name on the rod with thread. It is a bit tricky but effective. I have the pattern sequence for each letter and it gives a good effect for the rod.

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

#4 trout snout

trout snout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Locationhalifax

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:50 PM

Wove? how? sounds unique

#5 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:44 PM

I'll try and explain. You take the rod wrapping thread you used for your wraps and start a wind on the blank where you want the name. You then take seven strands of contrasting thread and line them up on the blank where you want the name and wind the darker colour over them, just till the strands are buried. Now lets make a "L". The seven strands are mentally numbered 1-7 starting at the top of the letter. Take 1-7 and move them to the left and tape them down. Now take a turn with the dark thread and take 1-6 and move to the right. Turn the dark thread four times. move the #7 strand to the right and wind four times and you have a "L"
Think about it and it will start to make sense I hope. It's easier to do than explain!! ;)

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

#6 trout snout

trout snout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Locationhalifax

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:38 PM

awesome thanks Perry i'll give it a try on my next build. I'll google it and see how to make other letters sounds real nice cant wait to see how bad i can mess this up lol

#7 trout snout

trout snout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Locationhalifax

Posted 21 May 2011 - 04:39 PM

aaah this wether is great started a new build. An orvis 5 wt old school bamboo style action cant wait to hit some small water with it got a rose wood reel seat from cabelas and also a two tone cork grip glued so far the blank is grey/ black thinkin red wraps should look sexy tomorrow start wrapping.

a man has to do somthing in the rain

cheers mat

#8 BrownTrout Stalker

BrownTrout Stalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 05:28 PM

Look forward to sum pics...

#9 trout snout

trout snout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Locationhalifax

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

Hey guys, was just wondering if anybody used any of the cabelas pt blanks and if so how did they perform for you. was thinking about back up rods since i broke my first last year and used an old shakespere wonder rod. The whole time I was wondering why it was so heavy and why it was so slow..lol

thanks
mat

#10 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Field Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

Hi Mat,
Check out Batson Fly Rods. These are a great blank for the price.

Here are a couple that I am working on right now.

Posted Image
Stop Aquatic Invasives! Spread the word, not the species.

#11 trout snout

trout snout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Locationhalifax

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

Very nice Tim how do you like the reel seats I was also looking at those, are they as nice as they look for the price?

#12 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Field Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:29 PM

I have put them on six rods so far and I really like them. I am not a big fan of wood inserts, but I like windowed seats so these are a great fit.

#13 trout snout

trout snout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Locationhalifax

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

Nice I was looking at them and thought they were nice but i thought that about others and when they came they looked cheap. A friend of mine is hitting cabelas next week so i think ill get a few for future builds. thanks for the input. do you hand wrap your rods or buy /invent a rod wrapper? was also looking at those and wondered if they were worth the money.

cheers

#14 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Field Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

I find that some of the wood insert seats look cheap, properly finishing wood is quite time consuming so you really get what you pay for.

I put a bobin in my fly vise and wrap by hand. If I was going to spend the money, I would buy a rod turner for applying epoxy. I still use varnish so finishing is the most time consuming, a turner would allow me to finish a rod in one step.

#15 trout snout

trout snout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Locationhalifax

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

For finnishing and drying i use a rotissierie motor with a rigged up coupling made from 1 1/4 inch p.v.c. pipe end cap and nylon screws to center and hold the rod while it turns. I would recommend finding a faster motor as mine is about 3rpm.
I was looking at the pac. bay wrapper doubles as a lathe so you can turn cork ,its 350.00 plus but its soo nice.

#16 LSF

LSF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMiddleton

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

Beautiful work on those rods Tim your an artist buds ;)

#17 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Field Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

Here is the last one finished.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 trout snout

trout snout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Locationhalifax

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

tim that is absolutely beautiful what kind of varnish do you use i like how it looks compared to flex coat

#19 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Field Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

Thanks

Any high solids spar varnish will work. In this case I use minwax spar varnish, mainly because I can get it in small tins so I tend to use it up before goes bad. I like the varnish look too. The only problem is that it is time consuming. It takes about 6 to 8 coats to fill in the wraps.

#20 Cerrabus

Cerrabus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationGreenwood, NS

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

Nice build, i have yet to build a fly rod. How many years with the varnish last compared to epoxy. I like the Thread Master ONE. No mixing require and water clean up. I also hand wrap and would love a power wraper but costly, maybe for my Bday. I use a rotiserie motor to dry as well but instead of using the screws in the end cap to hold the but in place i put two heavy duty elastics going for the screws and center the rod in the elastics. Self centering and doesn't fall out.

Cheers,
Cerrabus Custom Rods
J Plamondon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users