#1 Lingard441

Lingard441

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationShearwater

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:40 PM

Hey guys I am trying to find a good spot to take my 4 year old to ice fish trout the winter any ides within an hour of Halifax?
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
~Babylonian Proverb

#2 uklee

uklee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationLawrencetown

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:36 PM

Penhorn lake at the back orf Penhorn Mall Dartmouth is stoked with Rainbows.
Orange power bait or worms work. just send the bait to the bottom then slowly bring it up a few turns of the real at a time to find how deep the fish are.
No such thing as a bad days fishing or a good day at work

#3 Shienar

Shienar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:51 PM

what lee said :)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Lingard441

Lingard441

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationShearwater

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:18 PM

we actually spent some time there last year and it is where he got his first fish!! We had no action on trout though. I have also heard that albro is ok. Is there anything a little further out? I heard oat hill is ok too.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
~Babylonian Proverb

#5 Shienar

Shienar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:51 PM

round and lewis are open as well out tantallon way
i havent fished lewis but i did pretty well on round last winter

all 4 of the rainbow lakes in dartmouth have there moments
but i think if i had to choose i would target penhorn and maynard
more then oathill and albro
ive always had more luck on those 2 lakes

#6 uklee

uklee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationLawrencetown

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:24 PM

Last year I fished Penhorn most and found that the fish could be at any depth so its important to find them.
what I was doing was to start at full depth and slowly work my way to the surface. This entailed work the bait for a minuite or two at full depth then winding the bait up 2 or 3 feet and work it for another couple of minuites again sometimes they were 4 to 6 feet below the ice. Once you have loacted where they are its easy to drop the bait to the bottom then wind up to the depth you had the last fish/bite.
Hope this of some help if we do get any ice.
Lee
No such thing as a bad days fishing or a good day at work

#7 Gregory

Gregory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:50 AM

I fished Round lake once last year, the four I released were nice fish, all around 10" and fat with great colors.

Greg

#8 ___

___

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:18 PM

Can't wait to get out! Looking forward to the hard water,....soon enough!

#9 darren

darren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSeabright NS

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:31 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, and trust me, I'm married so I'm used to it, but didn't Lewis and Round lake only just open this year for ice fishing. The 2009-2010 regulations did not have those lakes listed for a winter fishery, they are just now listed for the 2010-2011 ice fishing season. Also, you can only keep two rainbows, which is silly considering that Round lake is mostly stocked with brook trout. Lewis lake received an accidental stocking of rainbows last year, according to some of the local fishermen I spoke with, so it should be pretty good if the fish survived the bucket brigades and ice-up.

#10 Shienar

Shienar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:51 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, and trust me, I'm married so I'm used to it, but didn't Lewis and Round lake only just open this year for ice fishing. The 2009-2010 regulations did not have those lakes listed for a winter fishery, they are just now listed for the 2010-2011 ice fishing season. Also, you can only keep two rainbows, which is silly considering that Round lake is mostly stocked with brook trout. Lewis lake received an accidental stocking of rainbows last year, according to some of the local fishermen I spoke with, so it should be pretty good if the fish survived the bucket brigades and ice-up.

here ya go Winter Sportfishing Season Expands 2009
lewis and round were not listed in the handbook but were added later on
also on the spring stocking list Round Lake (Lewis L. Prk.) (67W2) R the R stands for rainbow trout
doesnt look like round gets any brook trout atleast from what they have listed on the site
on the other hand they dont have any rainbows listed for lewis so it kind of makes ya wonder
what they are puting in the lakes
why open a lake for rainbows if your not stocking rainbows ???

#11 darren

darren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSeabright NS

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:42 AM

Shienar, I've fished round lake many times and only hooked one rainbow, the rest were brookies. I think the stocking list needs to be updated.
So you were legal to fish round last year even though the regulations were not officially posted yet? I'm always nervous about new changes. Some poor buggers in Yarmouth county had all of their gear confiscated when a DNR officer went by the book, which failed to include some open-all-year lakes that they happened to be fishing on. They were right, and they got the gear back, but it still ruined a day of fishing. In that case, the guy with the side-arm made the rules. If those changes applied to 2009, the book should have listed them, and failing that, a posting in the local paper would have done the trick.

#12 Shienar

Shienar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:38 AM

they have been stocking bows and brookies in round lake for as long as i can remember

Shienar, I've fished round lake many times and only hooked one rainbow, the rest were brookies. I think the stocking list needs to be updated.
So you were legal to fish round last year even though the regulations were not officially posted yet?

the opening of round and lewis lake was offically posted in the news release that i posted the link for
on the Gov.ns site which was posted on dec 22 2009 before the jan 1 2010 start of the winter fishing season

the same thing was done the year before with penhorn oathill and maynard they were not listed in the hand book
but were listed in a news release on dec 19 2008

i guessing the decision was made sometime after the handbooks were printed

as for the DNR officer going by the book
apparently the guy needs to learn to do his job better
we had dnr come out on both penhorn and oathill just checking licence
and never had any problems and that was 2008 before they were listed in the handbook

#13 IceShanty

IceShanty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

I landed brookies and rainbows in lewis last year and only rainbows in round

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users