#1 Bullet

Bullet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationColdbrook Nova Scotia

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:39 PM

Just wondering what people think of using bamboo rods vs. graphite.

#2 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:35 PM

I dont think you can compare them. It is more about the angler than the rod. Bamboo is slower action than most graphites and heavier. It is for me a pleasure to cast both but when I am in a slower frame of mind I like bamboo and the slow casting stroke matches my mood.
Understand I hunt with a longbow, wooden arrows with feather fletches! lol

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

#3 Bullet

Bullet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationColdbrook Nova Scotia

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:26 AM

It is going to be fun to cast the new rod when finished ,and I think it will take some getting use to.I have a few bamboo rods ,but still very limited experence using them.
I am starting to really like the idea of catching trout out of small streams and rivers on a 3wt bamboo rod, it just kind of seems the right way to do it!
I think it will be an experience that will change the way I trout fish with a fly rod.; But in turn, I won't be packing in the other graphite rods I own, there a lot of fun too!lol! If this rod turns out well, then I might build a graphite one for my faster mood days!!LOL! Always a pleasure Perry!
Peter

#4 trout snout

trout snout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Locationhalifax

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:33 PM

i recently aquired 5 blanks from an estate sale one is an orvis unsanded blank tip section is longer than the butt i think it is an originale from the superfine series i love the action they say its like bamboo but lighter never fished with boo but am going to build a boo rod so i can compare i never liked winter so much

#5 troutbum

troutbum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley, Kentville area

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:58 PM

Bullet and Trout snout,
Bamboo is generally slower than graphite, but this is not always the case, I have built some very fast bamboo rods. Bamboo rods are better for light presentations especially the lighter models! They are very good for light tippets as well.
I fish small stream brookies and small bronze backs most of the time and I built a 6'3" 2wt 3 pc for the task it is a tiny presision instrument that will drive a lot of line, is deadly acurate and most importantly... it is a blast to fish with.

I fished fast bamboo rods that I didn't really care for, but someone else may prefer it? Each rod is different and some excell at certain types of fishing where as others shine at pretty much everything. The one area I think graphite excels is in the bigger rods such as large salmon rods (again, in general)I have cast some awesome bigger rods as well.

#6 Cart

Cart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPictou

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:03 AM

A bamboo arches from handle to tip-poetry. Some graphites do not arch at all!, well maybe a bit with a 5lb sinker?

The beauty is in the eye of the rodholder.

Cart

Ole Bassturd

#7 raven4ns

raven4ns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:47 PM

I fish with bamboo and I enjoy it. Most of my fishing was with graphite and it is only the past 2 or 3 years I started using bamboo. For me, part of it is nostalgia, part the beauty of the rod and I just enjoy it. Good luck with your rod.

All the best

Tim

The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down....but how many times he gets back up

https://www.flickr.c...s/[email protected]/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users