#1 Bullet

Bullet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationColdbrook Nova Scotia

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:22 PM

Going to try and build a Bamboo fly rod this winter; any help on the subject will probally be greatly needed over this winter so any help with questions/answers would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

#2 Bullet

Bullet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:47 PM

Payne #97 taper is now been ordered; hopefully it won't take too long to get here. Will try and keep you all informed of the build as it goes along!!

#3 trout snout

trout snout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Locationhalifax

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:36 PM

hey bullet where did you order from and whats the prices like?

#4 Bullet

Bullet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:58 AM

Trout snout,
Check out his on-line store. His contact is [email protected]
His prices are very good and he has some great reviews.

#5 trout snout

trout snout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Locationhalifax

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:25 PM

i will thanks

#6 Woolybugger

Woolybugger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay originally, now Fox Creek, AB

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:49 AM

Can't wait to see the progress on this, hope you take lots of pics. I'm hoping to get started on a payne 101. Will be purchasing once work picks up after the holiday break.
Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

#7 Barnacle

Barnacle

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:10 PM

For total bamboo fans-- the bamboo tube fly

http://www.mlwebb.co...ootube-1000.jpg

:D

chuck

#8 mushamush

mushamush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:58 PM

For total bamboo fans-- the bamboo tube fly

http://www.mlwebb.co...ootube-1000.jpg

:D

chuck

Hi
A nice fly with some unusual aspects.
One is that the hook is not in a hook keeper as with most tube flies however a red bead has been placed between the tube and the hook.
I've read about this arrangement before but never tried it. That will be remedied next summer. According to one article it worked best in fast water and was not much use or worse in slack water.
Has anyone tried this arrangement?
Paul

#9 Bullet

Bullet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:38 AM

My bamboo kit came yesturday!! Now I have to figure out how to build it. Real nice kit, should be a very nice rod.
The only problem I have now is that there is no directions. I need to find out the guide spacing and what glue to use to assemble, epoxy?? maybe.
Any help would be great.
I will start taking some pics latter on.

#10 trout snout

trout snout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Locationhalifax

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

My bamboo kit came yesturday!! Now I have to figure out how to build it. Real nice kit, should be a very nice rod.
The only problem I have now is that there is no directions. I need to find out the guide spacing and what glue to use to assemble, epoxy?? maybe.
Any help would be great.
I will start taking some pics latter on.

Hey bullet for spacing there is a chart for guide lines on flyrodcrafters.com at the bottom of their home page,but dont forget a static load test when you get the guides taped on before you wrap them there is a post under general fishing questions where it is explained by wolly bugger. They also have an outline saying how to find the spline (i dunno if boo has a spline for sure) and where to start. Also google is a great tool. 5 minute epoxy for handle and reel seat i recently started building "tupperware" rods and this site and other forums with past discussions saved my agony. Did your blank come with ferrules on or off? and do you have a wrapping jig i can e-mail you a very simple set of plans for one. Anyway keep posting on progress and will try to help with what arises

cheers
mat

#11 Bullet

Bullet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:19 PM

Mat,
Got the chart,the blank came with ferrules off and no I don't have a wrapping jig.
I'll grab some 5min epoxy next time I'm out.
This should be fun!!LOL!!
Peter

#12 trout snout

trout snout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Locationhalifax

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:49 PM

hey pete heres the jig i use its pretty simple my father built mine in an hour or so he used hard wood flooring for it because havingthe female ends together on the platform gives full travel of the rod supports by the way make an extra rod support the total height of the jig it makes life easier. you may also be able to google this for images
THE EASY TO BUILD ROD WRAPPING JIG
• By Greg Pennell
After browsing through several rod building catalogs and websites, I figured out what I wanted in a rod wrapper and decided to build my own. I selected poplar hardwood from my local Lowe's Home Improvement Store, but you can use pine, maple, oak, or whatever you prefer. Total cost for my wood and the necessary hardware was a little over $21.00. If you've checked the prices for simple rod wrappers in some supply catalogs, you'll see a significant savings.

Materials List:
1"x3"x24" hardwood (2 pieces)Â
1"x2"x24" hardwood (1 piece)
1"x4"x36" hardwood (1 piece)
1/4"x2" bolts, with washers and wing nuts
1/4"x3" bolts, washers, and self locking nuts
1-1/4" drywall screws
Wood glue
FeltÂ
Stain and finish of choice (if desired)

Step 1, The Base
From the 1x2, cut three pieces 5 1/4" long. Put one aside for later. Take the two remaining pieces, and glue/screw them to the bottom of the two 1x3 pieces, leaving about a 5/16" gap between the two 1x3's. Be sure to pre-drill and countersink all screw holes to keep from splitting the wood. Set this aside to allow the glue to dry.     Â

Step 2, The Rod Rests
From the 1x4, cut three pieces 6" long, and two pieces 4" long. Set one of the 6" pieces aside for later. Take the two remaining 6" pieces and clamp them together. Mark and cut a “V" notch 1-1/2" deep in one end. Then Glue/screw the uprights (6" pieces) to the 4" pieces. Drill a 5/16" hole in the center of each of the 4" bases.              Â

Step 3, Thread Tensioner
Now, take the two pieces you set aside earlier. Drill two 1/4" holes in the piece of 1x2, far enough apart so two spools of wrapping thread won't hit each other. On mine, they are 2" apart. Glue/screw the 1x2 to one edge of the piece of 1x4. Drill a 5/16" hole in the center of the 1x4, about 2" from the edge.

Thread the 3" bolts through the two holes in the upright, and secure them with a nut. These will hold your spools of wrapping thread. Tension on mine is supplied by two small pieces of surgical tubing (small springs will also work) I had to use the self-locking nuts because the wing nuts I tried kept un-screwing themselves as the spools turned.

Washers cut from a thin piece of plastic, and placed on both ends of the thread spools help the thread spools to turn smoothly. I added a small eye screw to the base to feed the thread from the bottom of the rod blank.

Step 4, Finishing/Assembly
Sand lightly (if you feel ambitious, you can use a router on all the edges), stain and apply a coat of your finish of choice. I just sprayed mine with a couple of light coats of matte polyurethane. Glue felt (or the fuzzy half of Velcro) to the “V" notches in the rod rests. I put some on the base to keep from scratching the kitchen table, too.

Then use the 2" bolts, washers, and wing nuts to connect the rod rests and thread tensioner to the base. The slot you built into the base is for your adjustments of these three pieces.Â

You should have enough excess wood left to make a separate rod rest (for longer sections or one piece rods). I'm going to make an extra upright for mine, and attach a drying motor, for finishing.

~Greg Pennell

#13 Barnacle

Barnacle

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:57 PM

Hi;

You guys have all maybe seen this 7 part article on how to make a bamboo rod,

but if anyone hasn't, here it is--

http://globalflyfish...ilding/bamboo7/

cheers,

chuck

#14 trout snout

trout snout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Locationhalifax

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:28 PM

Oh great now i want to try that need more space lol. I thought she snarled when i started wrapping graphite
wait till this starts. Thanks Chuck

#15 troutbum

troutbum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley, Kentville area

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:45 PM

Oh great now i want to try that need more space lol. I thought she snarled when i started wrapping graphite
wait till this starts. Thanks Chuck

Bullet,
What is the 5 min epoxy for? Hopefully not for your ferrules or thread wraps? Bamboo thread wraps are coated with varnish not epoxy like glass or graphite rods. For ferrules, please tell me it came with nickel silver ferrules and they are already crowned and rod is cut and tapered for ferrule placement?
The slower the cure or open time the stronger and more water resistant the epoxy is. I tried various glues and epoxies when I first started building bamboo rods, the best I found for tensile/torsion strength, longevity and waterproofing is golf shafting epoxy. It is important that the ferrules are properly crowned, roughed up inside and thouroughly cleaned with alcohol. measure the depth so you know how far the blank is set in. Smear some (amount varies with ferrule size) inside the ferrule where it goes on bamboo and twist the rod into the ferrule, push the ferrule against something solid but smoothcarefully but firmly as the glue oozes out, you should hear popping crackling sounds as it does. Ensure the crowned ferrule tabs are lined up with the flats of the blank. Once you are sure the blank is fully seated, wipe the excess glue away and wrap the ferrule tabs to keep them tight until dry. Wrap as per guides.
Hopefully this makes sense, kind of hard to explain in typing, especially with my one fingered hen pecking. Drop me a line if you want more info and I'll help in any way. If you don't mind me asking, where did the blank come from?

Shawn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users