6 replies to this topic

#1 dave

dave

Admin

• Administrators
  • 551 posts
  • LocationBridgewater, NS

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:02 AM

Had a request for a rod building forum so here it is :) Enjoy!
Site Founder, Web Developer/Entrepreneur, and work from home Dad.
Listen to The Maritime Outdoorsman Podcast Show
Learn more about me at www.DaveDoggett.com

#2 Bullet

Bullet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationColdbrook Nova Scotia

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:26 PM

Thanks Dave,
I think this topic could have some great disscusion over the winter months.
Hopefully everyone will have some time ,advise or input on this subject. Fly rods, bamboo, casting and spinning; whatever rod you want to build. lets here about it!!
Thanks again Dave.

Peter

#3 Phisherman

Phisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:03 AM

I have a Dawai Strikeforce 6'-6"casting rod that needs a new tiptop and 2 line guides - the ceramic (or other material?) rings in the guides are missing... I assume they were broken during shipping/handling. Does anyone know someone around HRM that does this type of rod repair?

Fishing Fever does repair rods but the fellow told me they usually do this type of repair during their slow season (ie, winter), and I don't really want to wait until next spring to use the rod.

Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom!

Cheers and good fishing!

#4 Troutflyfisher

Troutflyfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

Anyone know who might do flyrod repairs? Lent a rod out and the Tip of first section got caught in the car door.... I have the 2" piece.

Any ideas?

#5 trout snout

trout snout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Locationhalifax

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

i could help you out with that but all i can do is glue a new tip and your rod will be shorter and the action may and probably change may have to move the first guide also to eliminate stress points on the guides. what i need to know is if the graphite or glass is splintered or cracked and how far down, it may not be worth fixing and your rod may never be the same. also what colour are the wraps and what type of rod, is it covered by any warrenty?

#6 Troutflyfisher

Troutflyfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:02 PM

Hey,

Thanks for the response...Pretty clean break, it is a graphite rod. was bought used and I use it for a back up rod or in smaller streams etc. It sort of looks like it had been repaired before and the piece that snapped off was the piece that had been fixed? looks to me like a 2" piece of blank was glued over top the original rod blank? and bored out to fit together with the 2nd piece. The rod worked well before the break, I am not concerned if it is shorter etc. What sort of cost would the repair be? As you say it might not be worth fixing... thanks again for your responce.

Fishcop

#7 trout snout

trout snout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Locationhalifax

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

sorry for the delay in answering you f/c i wouldnt charge very much since it is one of my pass times would definately take a look for you assess the situation
gladto help anytime i live in central halifax and im mobile

cheers mat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users