#1 Gregory

Gregory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:41 PM

I picked up a few lures that I'm hoping will catch some pickeral on the hardwater, a lindy darter in perch pattern, some Swedish pimples, kastmaster and a krokadile, I'm also tying some bucktail jigs to try. Can't wait to bore some holes

Greg

#2 Shienar

Shienar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:58 PM

you get them locally or order them
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Gregory

Gregory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:13 PM

The darter was at fishin fever, they only had 2, the others at different c-tires, Swedish pimples seem to be rare around here, but popular among ice fishers in other regions, sad no shops here carry a selection, everything thing I pick up seems to be the one of

Greg

#4 Shienar

Shienar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:34 PM

damn i would like to try some of those darters

#5 Transplant

Transplant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 357 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:00 PM

What does everyone do about a leader when chasing pickerel? I modified some very light back leaders a couple years ago that I ike using, but I still think I would get more hits with a less conspicuous leader, just wouldn't catch all those fish!

#6 Hardcore Angler

Hardcore Angler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSouth Shore

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:37 PM

should do pretty good for the pickerel with those. I have a Salmo Chubby darter that I had few years never used it last year but looking forward to trying it this year. I had pretty good luck last year with some buck tail jigs I tied up and swedish pimples.

I never used a leader last year through the ice for pickerel and never had one bite me off. I don't know if it was just a coincidence or what but all the fish I caught last year were just tagged in the tip or corner of the mouth, they never really sucked the bait in deep enough to cut my line.

I experienced the same thing over the years while fishing with jigs, or hooks and split shots tipped with minnows for walleye. I would catch pike and the same thing, never had one bite me off during the winter. Open water is a different story, had lots bite me off.

I don't know, like I say if it was just a coincidence or what, but I was able to present my baits better like you said, and still managed to land fish.

#7 Gregory

Gregory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:26 PM

I'm not a fan of wire leaders myself, and only use 6lb, 6inch ones when using lures I don't want to risk, fishing soft plastics I tie right to the hook. Like hardcore though the pickeral I catch through the ice all seem to be hooked in the edge of the mouth.

Greg

#8 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:35 PM

Sheiner just back from cdn tire here in yarmouth they had some lindy darters in two sizes and three patterns incl the perch pattern might, be worth searching the cdn tires down your way they are 7.99. I thought of you when I saw them I remember you talking abt darters but couldn't remember the brand name you guys were discussing.

cheers Girlfisher
please practice a sustainable harvest

#9 Shienar

Shienar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:14 PM

thanx for the heads up girly
i guess im going on the hunt tomorrow

#10 Gregory

Gregory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:09 AM

I picked up a couple of Danielson renegade spoons at c-tire in 1/8 and 1/4 they're a kastmaster knockoff for a lot less cash.

Cheers
Greg

#11 Ontario Fisherman

Ontario Fisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ontario, Central Lake Erie

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:30 AM

should do pretty good for the pickerel with those. I have a Salmo Chubby darter that I had few years never used it last year but looking forward to trying it this year. I had pretty good luck last year with some buck tail jigs I tied up and swedish pimples.

I never used a leader last year through the ice for pickerel and never had one bite me off. I don't know if it was just a coincidence or what but all the fish I caught last year were just tagged in the tip or corner of the mouth, they never really sucked the bait in deep enough to cut my line.

I experienced the same thing over the years while fishing with jigs, or hooks and split shots tipped with minnows for walleye. I would catch pike and the same thing, never had one bite me off during the winter. Open water is a different story, had lots bite me off.

I don't know, like I say if it was just a coincidence or what, but I was able to present my baits better like you said, and still managed to land fish.

#12 Ontario Fisherman

Ontario Fisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ontario, Central Lake Erie

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:33 AM

You mentioned walleye. This is the first mention of walleye I've seen on this forum. Did you fish walleye in Nova Scotia or on a trip elsewhere?

#13 Gregory

Gregory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:15 PM

No walleye in Nova Scotia, when we're talking pickeral it's chain pickeral

Greg

#14 ___

___

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:22 PM

I need to get out this year and get a pickerel through the ice! Last time I tried was the last ice fishing tournament NSF did way back when! :)

- I would also think that fishing open water, like mentioned is a horizontal experience; while ice fishing uses typically less line and is a vertical experience. I would echo this is a contributing factor for the fish to be hooked in the side of the mouth. As well less line will likely mean a faster hook set (both initial bite felt by the fisher-person and setting the hook itself into the fish....they wouldn't have time to 'swallow' the hook.) I find this to be very true when it comes to ice fishing for trout.

#15 Transplant

Transplant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 357 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:59 PM

I think we need to pick a day this year and have an unofficial pickerel derby on Fish Lake. No on-ice prizes, no organizers, just whoever wants to show up and fish can. Everybody pitch in $5, split the pot between most fish and biggest fish. Police it ourselves, have some fun, give us all an excuse to put a bit of effort into fishing the picks this year. No matter if it was 5 or 50 people there, it'd be fun I think.

#16 Shienar

Shienar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:04 PM

sounds like a good time to me
im in

#17 Hardcore Angler

Hardcore Angler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSouth Shore

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:05 PM

Ontario Angler, when I mentioned walleye, I was targeting them in Ontario. I used to live in Northern Ontario for almost 10 years. I miss fishing for them and wish we had some in Nova Scotia however. Closest thing we have here are yellow perch, and we have chain pickerel which are quite similar to pike.

Great fishing here though for sure.

#18 NSYakfisher

NSYakfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:52 AM

I have a number of new toys to try this year including the Lindy Darters and some of the new Northland lures. Also picked up a underwater camera so we can watch the action. Back pack is all packed and now all we have left is to get some ice and decide on pickeral or trout on the first. If it gets cold enough we may slip out to a couple of the open all year lakes for some pickeral before the first... with the weather thats coming my bet is I can find some safe ice by the middle of next week.

#19 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:10 PM

I have a number of new toys to try this year including the Lindy Darters and some of the new Northland lures. Also picked up a underwater camera so we can watch the action. Back pack is all packed and now all we have left is to get some ice and decide on pickeral or trout on the first. If it gets cold enough we may slip out to a couple of the open all year lakes for some pickeral before the first... with the weather thats coming my bet is I can find some safe ice by the middle of next week.

so you think silver will be good by the 1st I sure got my fingers cross
you driven by at all?
please practice a sustainable harvest

#20 NSYakfisher

NSYakfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:56 PM

Silver will be iffy but Lake George and Lake Paul have the best chance around here for having safe ice.... Silver will likely be 50/50 from the look of the forcast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users