8 replies to this topic

#1 caper40

caper40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

hearing some good things about this fly does anyone have the recipe for a trout fly

#2 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

It's a simple fly that I have trouble with! To tie it successfully one has to create a fly only a beginner or an expert can tie. It is a natural deer hair spun body roughly trimmed and not packed tight. Brown hackle palmer tied. natural deer hair tail. Yellow thread.

OK it is a great fly and I believe the secret is the soft body. I will pick up mine tomorrow at the Dieppe Show.

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

#3 rpen

rpen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:03 AM

Have fun in NB Perry! Bryant is a master at the Carter's Bug... Here is a link to a Youtube vid of him tying and explaining the Carter's Bug.

Hope this helps!

#4 LSF

LSF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMiddleton

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

its a fly that I cannot tie either Perry.

#5 caper40

caper40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

im not much of a tyer so maybe i can pull it off lol

#6 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:09 AM

I noticed he didn't clear out any guard hairs or underfur when cutting the deer hair, this must help it to be softer and spin better ?. It does go against several "must dos " for tying deer hair bugs and stacking. I can see why beginners have a good shot. It looks like my first attempt at a deer hair mouse.
So many Fish, so little time..

#7 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:20 AM

Bryant says he exposes the deer hair to the weather and sun for a summer and the claim is it makes the hair soft. I got a supply from him Sat. and I am good to go! LOL

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

#8 LSF

LSF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMiddleton

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:32 AM

I set beside him one year in Tiers row in Dieppe and the deer hide smelled like it had rotted for years....lol..told him the fish could smell it thats why they worked so well...lol

#9 rpen

rpen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

Too funny Mike! I just use Caribou hair, it's already soft and the right colour!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users