24 replies to this topic

#1 rouge

rouge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:01 PM

Hey guys looking for shore fishing lakes in HRM with easy access, Looking to fish trout this April and SM and Pickerel is the season goes on.  

#2 northpark

northpark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

if you don't mid catching stocked trout then there is no shortage of lakes in the HRM.  NS fish stocking website - weekly stocking updates usually posted there in april/may. they stock about 15-20 lakes in HRM like albro and penhorn in dartmouth. prospect, lewis and round lake on the halifax side to name a few popular ones. As for pickerel and bass there are tons. i usually go to grand, kinsac and first lake out in sackville. however if you try any in HRM there is a good chance youll get bass. ya can always take a look at previous posts on here as well.

good luck

#3 TheWoolyBugger

TheWoolyBugger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:10 PM

Morris lake has SM and CP, not sure if they've got any trout but like northpark

said, there are usually bass or any fish in the lakes here in the HRM.

#4 fivepoundtrout

fivepoundtrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:06 AM

pick a lake in the subie system(besides micmac) charles, william, thomas, fletcher, and grand. All have trout, and landlocked salmon if ya find the right spots ;) . lots of good sized bass in a spell and monster pickerel.

#5 rouge

rouge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

Thanks guys, also looking for a good shore where im not casting in someones front lawn or hooking someones dog. 

#6 rickerred

rickerred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:37 PM

albro, penhorn and maynard lakes have all been stocked with rainbow on 03 Apr 14.

#7 Marrkopolo

Marrkopolo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:06 PM

albro, penhorn and maynard lakes have all been stocked with rainbow on 03 Apr 14.

Saw that in the NS website this morning so I decided to fish this afternoon. No luck though.

#8 rouge

rouge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:38 AM

Anyone shore fish maynard yet?

#9 902

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

Haven't tried maynard yet, looking to try it out for the first time soon. Was at Penhorn day before yesterday caught 6 Rainbow stockies between myself and the father, had to keep two as they were gut hooked too badly, had a nice shore lunch though and released the rest. Been to Albro a few times now, haven't left without catching, and they restocked it on the 24th as well. This was all on spinning gear (floating worms/trout dough)

Great to see the trout jumping around sunset at both lakes (hint need to get a fly out there), and at Albro the Osprey are amazing to watch diving and pulling out fat trout. One of them caught what was at least a 13 incher, and proceeded to fly RIGHT over the heads of all the fishermen lining the bank of Albro. Show offs hahah

#10 rouge

rouge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:41 AM

Which lake had better shore fishing Penhorn or Albro? also what side of the lakes did you fish 

#11 902

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

Well Penhorn had more catches, but they were smaller. On Penhorn we fished the south / southeast part of the lake (44.674320, -63.539334) and Albro, we were in a cove on the south east part of the lake (44.687817, -63.573634 along that bank is where most people fish). 

edit: if you meant accessibility, I'd say they're fairly even shore fishing wise. Both have a beach area where people fish, and both have little "pockets" to the water along a trail that goes around the lake. 

#12 NS_Sens

NS_Sens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

I've had some good luck with powerbait floated from the bottom in Penhorn.  As far as SM I would recommend First Lake behind the sportsplex.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. -- George W. Sears

#13 902

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:44 PM

Oddly enough when we tried the powerbait at penhorn, not a bite, yet the worm floating off the bottom they loved it. At Albro, they were going for the powerbait more. What color powerbait were you using? We ran out of the rainbow color we typically use and tried green :S but no luck with it. I'm thinking we should have went with something more redish

Also... do wild fish like the trout dough? I'm fairly new to the stuff but it seems very popular

#14 NS_Sens

NS_Sens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:59 PM

I have never gotten wild brookies to take powerbait.  As far as color goes I've had the most luck with orange.  I don't know if orange underwater looks like brown to them, imitating their feed.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. -- George W. Sears

#15 902

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:40 PM

Managed to catch a catfish today around 10:30, odd they're not usually out this early or during the day at least not in my experience. Small perch as well (stole my bait for ages until I adjusted my hook figuring it was a yellow, and finally got the bugger), probably 4 inches so it looks like they're starting to wake up from the winter, and the smallest trout I've caught couldn't have been more than 4 or inches, a stocked rainbow. Didn't know they stocked them that small.. Fun day , a couple other people on the water, saw guy near me land a bullhead too

#16 902

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

I have never gotten wild brookies to take powerbait.  As far as color goes I've had the most luck with orange.  I don't know if orange underwater looks like brown to them, imitating their feed.

That's what I've been thinking too. Of course trout dough has scent/taste but I figure it has got to look like either a roe bag or a trout pellet to them... in which case I should be using red/pink/orange dough OR making some homemade stuff more brownish...

anyone got experience making their own trout dough? Berkley is making way too much money off of their "Play-Doh" for me not to try :P

#17 adam lancia

adam lancia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

Question about Cox Lake in Hammonds Plains: is Riley Rd. (the one that goes around to the power lines) a private road? I ask because I went to go down there last week and there's a big boulder off to the side that has, "private road, no exit" spray painted on it. Thanks!

#18 protecteur

protecteur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationUpper Tantallon

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:29 AM

yes it is! Developer now owns it

#19 adam lancia

adam lancia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:45 AM

Boooooooo. So there's no way to get back to the power line and fish from shore there anymore...? Is there anywhere at the other end of the lake that you can get to shore?

#20 protecteur

protecteur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationUpper Tantallon

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:31 AM

Legally you can still access the water from there to go fishing. The anglers act as you protected but out of curtesy I would ask the developer permision for access. Most of them will say yes. Most of them just don't wan't ATV traffic on there property thats all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users