2 replies to this topic

#1 SocialAssassin

SocialAssassin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:36 AM

Ill be hitting Punta Cana (Dominican Rep) In Late Feb. Wondering if anyone has done any fishing there with or without a group/charter. Please let me know your experience, what you were catching, what was used for bait. IF you went with a charter who you went with, what you thought of it, what was caught etc.

Thanks!

#2 supernova

supernova

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLower Sackville

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:23 PM

Ill be hitting Punta Cana (Dominican Rep) In Late Feb. Wondering if anyone has done any fishing there with or without a group/charter. Please let me know your experience, what you were catching, what was used for bait. IF you went with a charter who you went with, what you thought of it, what was caught etc.

Thanks!

I was close to where you are going last year. Wanted to book a high end charter before we went but the price was higher than I wanted to pay. Went against everyone's advice and booked a trip through one of the guys at the beach who are peddling everything from jeep trips, fishing, parasail etc. 280 canadian for about 4-5 hours. 8 of us went so pretty cheap

Best part of the whole trip by far, the drive out to the boat was exciting,. the boat was a pontoon type, two locals took us, one who looked like Snoop dog. All the free rum & beer we could drink, with a local radio station blaring in the background.

Trolled around mackeral with feathers trying to hook white Marlin, caught and released one only. Maybe 100 pounds. Lots of fun, went for a swim, drank, let the daughter " man " the rod once he was hooked.

Next time I think I would rather have a fly rod or something and target smaller fish and maybe catch more in numbers?

All in all a good experience and although the beach salesmen seemed somewhat shady, didn't have any problems whatsoever.

So my advice would be to book a charter ahead if money isn't a problem but if not do what I did and ask around, visit a dock, and barter with the locals to get the particular type of fishing experience you want after you have arrived. You have a week or two so don't worry about rushing into a decision Happy fishing

#3 SocialAssassin

SocialAssassin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:07 AM

Thanks for the response. That sounds very reasonable. Even if you don't catch much at that price for 8 people a day on the water drinking is still a lot of fun.

I was looking at prices and although they do seem kind of steep for charters its something to consider, however I am totally open to the same experience that you had for less money.

100lbs marlin must be a hell of a fight!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users