193 replies to this topic

#141 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:35 PM

We had a great day on Morris Lake - 11 boats - Lots of fish caught and the weather held off till we were done.

Next tournament is Sunday 14 Sep - 1st Lake - Check our FB page for details - :)

#142 protecteur

protecteur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationUpper Tantallon

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:48 AM

COX LAKE BOAT LAUNCH UPDATE:

Well I went the other day to investigate Cox lake boat launch issue. There is some irrosion but it isn't that bad and I actually managed to go right to the water with my little Suzuki SX4. I then contacted HRm and they said province owned it then call province and they told me it was HRM's or Federal so Called both of them and they basically ended up playing the pass the buck game.

So i went further yesterday and contacted my local MLA and now the ball as started to roll.

Thanks Margaret.

MW

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 18, 2014, at 5:52 PM, "Soley, Margaret" <soleym@halifax.ca> wrote:

>

> Hello Councillor Whitman:

> I will need to do some reaearch on this launch and get back to you tomorrow.

> Thanks, margaret

>

> ----- Original Message -----

> From: Whitman, Matt

> Sent: Monday, August 18, 2014 03:55 PM Atlantic Standard Time

> To:

> Cc: Soley, Margaret; Mullane, Rob

> Subject: Re: Cox Lake boat launch

>

> Shawn

> Copying my HRM parks and playgrounds people.

> Stay tuned.

> Matt

>

> Sent from my iPad

>

>> On Aug 18, 2014, at 11:23 AM, " wrote:

>>

>> Good day Matt;

>>

>> I contacted 311 this morning to see how that we go about in getting the public boat launch fixed on Cox Lake. They said it was federally own but when I contact the federal and province they both say its own by the city. The issue is the gravel boat launch is washed out in a few locations due to erosion. It basically needs new gravel or a little grading. The Lake access is basically off Hammond's plain road then you take Yankeetown road, then cox lake road and it located at the end of the road. Lots of local area folks use this lake recreationally for fishing, boating, swimming and fishing tournaments. Every contact they give me to contact to get the repairs done is passing the buck back and forward with HRM, province and Federal.  I also know about half of Kilometre up Riley road that comes off Cox Lake Road there's a provincial park land that might be why they are trying to pass the buck. Do you know how that we can go about in getting this repaired?

>>

>> Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

>>

>> Thanks in advance!

>>

>>

>> Shawn

#143 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:07 AM

Thanks Shawn :) hopefully you get a reply... I know about 30 years ago when I lived in Highland Park the county used to grade that road but it was mainlty used by the fire department.. since we are now HRM I guess no one wants to take ownership.

Let us know if you get a response.. it would be great to be able to hold a tournament there .

Thanks ED

#144 protecteur

protecteur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:23 AM

I am hoping to have it fixe soon!

Its a good lake for smallies but they are on the small side. I fish that lake all summer and the biggest I got was 10" I fish all over it and my friends all had same luck. Its great lake to fish with the kids because pretty much every cast you get a bass. I am also in the process of pushing HRM to build a public lake access for small boats on Fraser Lake which is work in progress. Fraser is where the big bass are hidding but the lake is real hard to get at and soon you won't be able to acces it anymore due to all the new home construction.

The province and HRM should pass a law that would oblidge builders to automatically build a public lake acccess to any water frontage area they want to develope. That way it would preserve water acces for everyone to enjoy. The way its now going with the water frontage constructioon booom there will no longer be any lake access unless its a provincial park/nature preserve.

Everyone should write to there local MLA and request they try to introduce this policy/law and implemente it.

#145 protecteur

protecteur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

Cox Lake boat launche update#2

I was talking to one of the local folks on cox road and he was saying that boat launch used to be maintained by the county fire department before we became part of HRM then it basically became abandoned. I also enclose a doc that’s shows all the private boat launches around Halifax area which used to be available on the DNR park website which a s this boat launch listed.

I hope we can get this boat launch repaired in the near future.

Shawn

-----Original Message-----
Sent: August-19-14 10:08 AM
To: ; Whitman,Matt
Cc: Mullane, Rob
Subject: RE: Cox Lake boat launch

Hi there...we've established through Property Online that HRM does not own this property (it shows the property owner as "unknown").  I am checking with our Real Estate staff to see if they have any knowledge and will provide any further information I receive.

Thanks,

Margaret

#146 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:50 AM

Yup ,, your right about the fire department using it... I actually filled up the pumper truck there a few times.. (in 1979).. I hope you have good results getting this done. 

As for Boat access, Russel Lake in Darmouth(next to Morris) has no access right now,, I may have to try pushing that also.

Oh there are BIG bass in Cox Lake ,, just got to find them,,, there are pictures on NSF -but the lake is not named :)

#147 ouird

ouird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationProspect Bay

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

I can confirm big ones in there. This is from a few years ago:

johnbass.jpg

Dress to Swim, Rig to Flip
http://canadiankayakanglers.com/
Blog:
http://yak4fish.com/
Facebook page
https://www.facebook...sonKayakFishing
Twitter
@JohnGibson76

#148 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 908 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

http://novascotiafis..._170_520603.jpg

and here is another one............caught last year, 3.9 lbs.

#149 protecteur

protecteur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

Osom picture John and very nice catch! Its frustrating trying to get the boat launch repaired. But the Local MLA Matt Whiteman has been very helpfull! I am pretty confident we will get it done eventually! It takes time and patience! :) The big issue is they don't know who owns the lot that the ramp is located on. Its listed as unknown on property online and they will try to get answers ASAP from there realestate dept. But I personally think that lot is part of easment since a good chunk of it is on peoples front lawn and other part is part of cox road.  

#150 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

Well hopefuly we can use it next spring,, would not take much.. I got lucky with Bisset lake , as it is under HRM Parks and Rec,, they had a fund set up for repairs ..all done now,, going to try it this week :)

#151 OleNewfieDog

OleNewfieDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:46 PM

Beauty fish fellows! Wow, very good.

Personal hook & line records:
Chain Pickerel - 24" 4lbs
Small Mouth Bass - 19.25" and 2lbs 1oz
Trout - 10"
Yellow Perch - 8"
Brown Bullhead - 10"
Shark - 120" Blue (dad's line actually :P )
Atlantic Cod - 36" (25 to 30 lbs approx)
Mackerel - tinkers
Scoulpin - who cares :angry:

#152 protecteur

protecteur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:24 AM

Halifax still doens't know who owns the land of the boat launch its listed as unknown. I tried another approach to get them to repair it. There's a ditch along cox road that flows on the road going down the boat lauch causing the errosion. Since Halifax water now owns all ditches and are responsible for any damages or erosion caused by it! I email them and mention to them that the erosion is in fact caused by the water from there ditch system. Now its a waiting game on there response.

I hope this approach works! :)

#153 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

Haa good idea.. especially since they started taxing all the ditch owners out there :)

#154 protecteur

protecteur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

the city has a put a service call in to Halifax waste water to investigate and repair. They said it should be done within the next 10 days! Lets see if they will actually fixe it!

#155 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

Goods news,, be interesting to see what they do :)

#156 ouird

ouird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationProspect Bay

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

Kickass job Shawn.

Dress to Swim, Rig to Flip
http://canadiankayakanglers.com/
Blog:
http://yak4fish.com/
Facebook page
https://www.facebook...sonKayakFishing
Twitter
@JohnGibson76

#157 bigbass49ers

bigbass49ers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:43 AM

I fished First Lake alot the past 4 years, and had my worst day on the water Friday morning. Only 3 fish and 5 bites in almost 4 hours, alot of the weeds underwater are almost gone, and their used to be lots on them and lots of fish. Maybe it has something to do with the new drian pipe there are putting in on Glendale drive. Does anybody know anything about this or the fishing on First lake lately?

#158 bassfishing

bassfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

Just got back from first lake, I have fish first lake the last 2 weekend and it seems like the construction with the new drain pipe have done some serious damage. All the underwater weed looks like they are mostly dead with very very little green on them and fishing is pretty quiet also (7 fish in 5 hours). I have also talked to others who have fished the lake for years saying that this year have been bad so far almost for everyone............................

#159 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for the info,, we are still going ahead with the tournament on the 14 Sept 0800-1400.. :)

#160 protecteur

protecteur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:25 AM

They should move the Comp from First Lake to Cox Lake!!!! First Lake vegetation is now all dead hardly any fish left due to the ruining of the lake by construction. Also cox lake is easy access and there's lots of fish in there which would bring more joy for a competition!! The boat launch isn't the greatest but if I can make it to the water with my Nissan Versa and my Suzuki SX4 anyone can easily make it to the water withe there boats just saying. I have lots of friends that fish first lake recently an the news is thats it now the worst fishing. I am at cox lake on weekly bases and see people launching boats with trucks suv's and cars with no issues at all. Also HRM as a work order to repair in the vary near future. There's still plenty of time to change location.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users