#1 Skitterpop

Skitterpop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationBerwick

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:42 AM

This spring on a trip to Silver Lake we arrived at the end of a Children's fishing program. We waited until it was over before heading out on the lake, but noticed all the fish caught were Speckled Trout which had just been released for this event. This raises the question, if you catch a Speckle ice fishing on Silver Lake I assume you must release it as the regulations only state Rainbows may be retained.

#2 Gregory

Gregory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:14 PM

yes you have to release speckles

Greg

#3 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:48 PM

100% correct, going to be harder to get the bows this year I'll probably only catch the brookies with my luck. Seems like this is what happens to me in the lakes with moreb than just bows guess I'll have to fish that much more. Pretty much the only fish I keep are during the ice season
please practice a sustainable harvest

#4 Hardcore Angler

Hardcore Angler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSouth Shore

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:30 PM

Correct sir, although I am hoping that with the experimental hard water brookie season this year in a couple of select lakes I'm hoping they will open a few lakes around here for a winter speckle fishery. They are a blast through the ice.

Another fish I think would be a great fish to try in a few of the winter rainbow lakes would be splake. They grow fast, and are very active and aggressive through the ice, making for a very exciting day on the water. They are also I believe sterile being a hybrid of lake trout and brook trout, making the population fairly easy to maintain. They do well and want to stock more, then they can, they don't do well they can stop the stocking and the population will decline be gone over time.

#5 Robbie Hiltz

Robbie Hiltz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • LocationThe Valley

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:55 PM

I hope people fishing with bait don't do too much damage to the brookies as they have to be released and I hope they survive.

I agree Splake would be great in some of the deeper cooler lakes. I'd love to fish them thru the ice
The best things in life aren't things

#6 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:20 PM

Robbie, I believe the speckled trout are stocked in Silver Lake. I could be wrong but if I am right what rational would it make to alright to keep a stocked rainbow and let a stocked brookie go? I see no difference between a stocked rainbow and a stocked brookie, it's just a different tank in the hatchery and the only purpose to to provide fishing opportunity and put and take fisheries. Wild native brookies, well thats entirely different. If there are wild brookies in Silver Lake well they should be released and no hatchery brookies allowed to be stocked. Just saying!

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

#7 Shienar

Shienar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:50 PM

i think there should be more put and take waters open for winter fishing and the limit should be changed from 2 bows to 2 trout
brookie or bow if there stocked for the sole purpose of being caught why not let us fish them year round
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 Gregory

Gregory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:53 PM

i think there should be more put and take waters open for winter fishing and the limit should be changed from 2 bows to 2 trout
brookie or bow if there stocked for the sole purpose of being caught why not let us fish them year round

I agree, I've seen brook trout released that were bleeding pretty bad, I practice catch and release, but on the open water those are keepers for me. I'm talking about stocked lakes, it was stated at the rfac meeting that since 2007 all stocked brookies are female and not intended as breeders

Greg

#9 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:50 PM

I agree, alot will be badly hooked I've sen alot of guys use size 12 and 14 hooks so they should probably just be taken home as alot don't just cut their line and release the fish they tug and pull b/c heaven for bid they loose a stupid hook. They're stocked anyway so why not make it a two trout rule for lakes stocked with booth bows and speckies. Now meadow pond would be a diff story there are some nice wild brook trout in there so we can only hope they don't get gutted

#10 Shienar

Shienar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:22 PM

i think some people need to relearn to fish
fishing sensitive equipment and staying in good contact with the the tackle on the end of you line
cuts down on deep hooking big time
if i wasn't using a ice jig last year i had a size 16 or 18 hook on
with a spring bobber you pick up on the bites way sooner
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:59 PM

these guys aren't holdingb there rods or aren't paying attention like you say I've used small hooks and rarely have a problem but I watch my line like a hawk and if the indiv has the intention of keeping hi/her catch that is why they prob aren't concerned abt deep hooking which isn't a prob if it is a bow and you can legally keep it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users