15 replies to this topic

#1 Rambo

Rambo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

Hey guys,

Wondering where the best place to buy beads and eyes from in NS?

On that note.. Where do most of you guys but your materials? I'm fortunate to rarely buy because I'm a better hunter than fisher but just wondering for special materials.

Thanks guys. Good to be back online.

#2 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

Rambo,

Fishing Fever, on Agricola Street, in Halifax has a great selection of tying materials. You can also get some great selections from Cabela's and BassPro; if you're interested in ordering.

That said, you'll probably laugh, but I have found some great beads and other unique materials at the Dollar and Craft stores. Stores like Dollarama carry a wide variety of interesting "craft" supplies. Likewise, you can find some great tying ideas at the craft stores. These stores also usually are selling at far below what you'd pay at a Tackle or Fly shop.

Here's a tip: if you find something at the Dollar stores that you like...buy plenty when you can. These places turn stock over quickly. You may not see the same item again for some time, or at all. So if it stikes you as useable...stock up. A few dollars will get you a good supply.

That'd be my advice, anyway.

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#3 LSF

LSF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMiddleton

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

http://www.allenflyfishing.com/

For beads dumb bell eyes and cones... also I only tie on Allen's hooks for a few years now

#4 rpen

rpen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:02 AM

X2 Mike! Caddisflyshop.com as well

#5 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

allens  for beads and hooks cant beat free shipping

please practice a sustainable harvest

#6 Rambo

Rambo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

Free you say? Sold haha thanks for the help guys going to check out all suggestions. Tight lines

#7 Rambo

Rambo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

Do any of you who shop at allenflyfishing.com know if the site is down or something? When I get to the check out step with the order it says "something went wrong. Please contact [email protected]"
I was using paypal. Not sure what the deal is.
Awesome prices though.

#8 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

I just put an order in a week ago and got in the mail today and then put another in on Saturday, email them they will get back to you they always have for me, good luck

please practice a sustainable harvest

#9 TheWoolyBugger

TheWoolyBugger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:18 PM

Fishing Fever over in Halifax is my main spot, but there is a place over in dartmouth called better buy sports witch has a little section for fly tying.

#10 CenterPinAngler

CenterPinAngler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

Don't even bother going to better buy sports in Dartmouth.. They're are useless,  carry cheap gear and wayyyy over priced..  IMO

Oh yeah and good luck get someone to help you that know what they're talking about. haha

#11 cullumaw

cullumaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationSackville NS

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

Fully agree center pin, better buy is far to expensive and their service is horrendous. A few of their main staff just quit and headed to lequille because of unsatisfactory working.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

#12 fivepoundtrout

fivepoundtrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:39 PM

DO NOT waste your time at better buys. I dont think any of them actually fish first of all, and what kind of fly-tying section doesnt sell hooks?? Ive asked, and they say "they are on the way" - same answer for a year, or they say "theres hooks on the wall over there" - pointing at hooks for spin fishing like treble hooks and stuff.

I could go on for hours, Ive spoken to nearly every staff in there, the ridiculous things Ive been told or my friends have been told (such as them putting no backing and putting the fly line in on the wrong side of the spool on a rod my friend bought there, the chick told him she was a lifetime fly-fisher)

Fishing Fever on Agricola, www.caddisflyshop.com, and www.jsflyfishing.com are my suggestions. Though the two sites are much better price wise.

#13 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

DO NOT waste your time at better buys. I dont think any of them actually fish first of all, and what kind of fly-tying section doesnt sell hooks?? Ive asked, and they say "they are on the way" - same answer for a year, or they say "theres hooks on the wall over there" - pointing at hooks for spin fishing like treble hooks and stuff.

I could go on for hours, Ive spoken to nearly every staff in there, the ridiculous things Ive been told or my friends have been told (such as them putting no backing and putting the fly line in on the wrong side of the spool on a rod my friend bought there, the chick told him she was a lifetime fly-fisher)

Fishing Fever on Agricola, www.caddisflyshop.com, and www.jsflyfishing.com are my suggestions. Though the two sites are much better price wise.

Yup, very accurate description of "Better Passed By" sports! Sad really...could have been so much more.

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#14 Lguthro

Lguthro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

Yup, very accurate description of "Better Passed By" sports! Sad really...could have been so much more.

Terran

X2, nothing but bad experiences CT has a better fly tying section then they do 

#15 Rambo

Rambo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

Thanks guys. I definitely know already to stay out of better buy I leaned that lesson first hand.

I do shop at fishing fever but was more looking for some online shops I could catch a few deals. I'll try Allen's again as well as the sites mentioned above. Home from Alberta in 10 days can't wait to test out my new Orvis. Thanks again.

#16 11th Warrior

11th Warrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:27 PM

If I could add to a somewhat older thread, http://www.canadianllama.com/ is also a very good source for beads and hooks. I know they're not in NS, but their prices and quality are phenomenal. Shipping isn't free, but when you consider you can get 100 beads for less than $9...the math works. They're the only place I buy my beads and hooks from. They're also one of the few places that carry 5/32" beads in the colors I need.

If you don't see what you're looking for on their site, shoot them an email. Kent is a great guy to deal with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users