#1 Salmotrutta1989

Salmotrutta1989

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationPictou county

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:59 PM

Hi everyone just thinking about heading up bras dor to try some ice fishing. Very new to ice fishing and have only fished one stocked lake through the ice. Just wondering if anyone could give me some info on tides etc.Do they play a major role on when to ice fish? Any info like that would be appreciated. It's a huge lake and I'm not sure where to try, I'm thinking Oarngedale might be a good spot. I'm geussing you would stick fairly close to shore, but again that's just a geuss from my knowledge and most videos I've seen people wre close to shore

#2 Salmotrutta1989

Salmotrutta1989

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationPictou county

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:00 PM

Btw I would just figure this out on my own but it's over two hour drive so its not like I can get up much just want to help my chances of hooking up and not waste a trip

#3 bishbd

bishbd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

Just before Baddeck is the big red barn. Go few hundred meters beyond that and across the street you should see lots of ice shacks. People will be catching smelts. I believe 60 is the limited. Anyone there will be able to help you fish ie. what bait to use, tide that  sort of thing. Hope this helps

#4 Team Z

Team Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

I think there is something to be said about fishing certain tides however I wouldnt worry about it too much as you can usually catch trout in the brasdor on any tide. You want to target the coves and no need to go very deep, any cove on the brasdor can hold Bows, Speckleds & Browns at any time, some can have all three. And if there is no trout to be caught there should be some opportunities for smelt or at the very least, white perch. As bish said, the area of the red barn would be a good start. I know they get a few nice rainbows down that way.

#5 Bass_Slayer

Bass_Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

nice like 20 inchers 4 pounds or nice like 30 inches 10 pounds? im not leaving colchester cumberland for anything smaller the 23 inches lol

#6 bishbd

bishbd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

10-14 inches for rainbow is average, however, I have seen people catch rainbow that were 6 to 8 lbs. If you know some of the honey holes and the right time of year you can catch one no problem.

#7 Team Z

Team Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

hooked 3 speckled, 1 rainbow today all between 18-21" lost one that was much much bigger. Also caught perch, smelt, juvenile striped bass in numbers.

#8 bishbd

bishbd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

Team Z were you down by the red barn or a different location, what bait were you using, and what was the ice condition.

#9 Team Z

Team Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

We fish the coves up around the St. Andrews Channel end of the lake, Long Island/Georges River area as well as the East Bay to Eskasoni section. Ice is kinda crappy, 4-7" slushy ice on top of 2-3" good black ice but not too bad. Mostly using lures, small sidewinders tipped with smelt and a few bigger trout on rapala jigging raps. Do a lot of jigging in shallow water (3-8 feet). Its amazing the amount of species around never know what your gonna get.  

#10 bishbd

bishbd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

Thanks for the info. Pray for some colder weather for next weekend.

#11 SalmoSolar

SalmoSolar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:32 PM

what colder weather are you praying for?   as in this is as cold as it gets out east here

#12 bishbd

bishbd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:18 AM

Maybe in cb it was cool, but in Halifax it was 5 degrees. I only fish the Bra Dòr when I take the wife home to see her parents.

#13 Salmotrutta1989

Salmotrutta1989

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationPictou county

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

Just finally made it up today, tried a few different spot, baits and presentations never even got a bite between three off us. The fishing definitely wasn't as hot as I hoped but on the plus side the weather was beautiful.

#14 Salmotrutta1989

Salmotrutta1989

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationPictou county

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

We tried a few different spots off corbbets cove road by St. Peter's btw we weren't really sure where to go we originally were gonna go up towards Orangedale but we were t sure what was open and what wasn't up there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users