• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nick

Nick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:07 PM

I have only ever been ice fishing a handful of times and it was on Grand Lake near the airport. However, I have been thinking that perhaps I might try it a little more this year and in Cape Breton. The area that I would be fishing is just off of the Bras d'Or, where many other people fish. I was hoping that perhaps some people on here could provide me with some tips and advice regarding equipment and techniques.

Also, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to start storing worms now, and how can I ensure that they last until the winter?

#2 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:39 PM

you can get worm bedding and food and cribs at wally or cdn tire, you can keep nthem in the fridge for abt 40 days or you could just use shrimp or good old pwr bait alot less work and very effective. Also get a set of bells for rod tip they don't always hit hard good luck you'll love it
please practice a sustainable harvest

#3 Nick

Nick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for the advice, I will probally have a few more questions a little close to the season. Thanks again.

#4 Hardcore Angler

Hardcore Angler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSouth Shore

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:11 PM

Yeah Ice fishing can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it.

You can have all the bells and whistles but all you really need to catch fish is a line and a hook baited with your bait of choice and tied to a flimsy branch, and stuck in the slush and snow above your hole. Watch your branch for movement and grab the line to feel the bite and take, set the hook by tugging up with your hand, and start hand lining in your catch. Be careful when it gets close to the top of the ice, not to bump the fish on the underside of the ice and get his head in the center of the hole before you pull him up through. There is nothing more heartbreaking then to have a rod jarring strike and fight the fish all the way to the top of the hole, only to have your hook catch the lip of the ice or snag the under side. Try to keep your line in the center of the hole always.

That being said, that was my humble beginning in ice fishing. A few hooks and sinkers and a spool of line, Now after being bitten with the Ice fishing bug, I have all the "bells and whistles" as well. Various rods and reels, tip-ups, and jigs, portable fish finder and portable hut.

So go try it out and if you like it then spend some money on the extras. all you really need to begin is a cheap rod reel combo spooled with some 6lb line a few small hooks, and split shots, a cheap hand auger and a bottle or two of some gulp, or power bait trout dough. A shelter is nice though for those cold ones. Have a good time and get bitten by the ice bug.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users