#1 BigGuy

BigGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationTrenton, Pictou County, Nova Scotia

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

Ok, been getting very mixed stories about the winter fishery on garloch, i know it wasnt stocked with bows, Ive HEARD from several people it was stocked with speks, but regs say u cant keep specs from there because of the native population of em. IF the lake was stocked with brookies were the regs changed to allow people to keep 2 like the bows, or is it a catch and release fishery only??? Hopefully someone can fill me in on whats going on, a link to any official reg changes would be good.

"There's more to fishing than catching fish"
Join me on Facebook or Youtube for lots of great pictures of my trips and catches, flies and fly tying.
Also plenty of tips, tricks and videos!! Join up and tell your friends.
Jesse Samson Outdoor Adventures - Facebook
Jesse Samson Outdoor Adventures - Youtube

#2 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

Im heading there tomorrow....they stock it with rainbows and a few speckles.....you are only allowed rainbows

#3 BigGuy

BigGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:18 PM

yes thanks,  im aware of that, but i heard there was a kill at the hatchery and no rainbows were to be stocked, and people are keeping speks from there thinking there stocked instead of bows, which they may be stocked but still not legal to keep...just want confirmation if it was stocked with a lot of speks and if the regs of keeping them changed, im worried that the natural population will take a hit because of this

Join me on Facebook or Youtube for lots of great pictures of my trips and catches, flies and fly tying.

#4 mattd

mattd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:43 AM

Regardless of what species was stocked, there is only a winter fishery for Rainbows on that body of water per the regulation book.  So if people are keeping Speckled Trout, they are breaking the law.  I guess DFO need to be notifed so they can do some patrols mid week and weekend. 

#5 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:49 AM

I heard a rumour that the regs will be changed temporarily to accommodate the retention of speckled trout, but I haven't seen them yet. I suspect that the temporary regs will only be effective from January 1 through March 31, but that's purely speculation on my part.

In the meantime it should be C&R only for the brookies. 

I started reading a book about anti-gravity and I just couldn't put it down.

#6 BigGuy

BigGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

saw some pics from a friend and there's no question what there catching is stocked speks, so that answers one question, it was stocked with speks, now to find out about any reg changes, i kinda hope they just keep it CnR, would make for a better ice fishing season imho, the fish wouldn't all disappear in a few days and make for good fishing all winter, maybe put a limit on the day of the free weekend derby so everyone can have a good chance at catching a fish during the derby

#7 Bass_Slayer

Bass_Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:44 AM

Or find a bigger lake....lol or one that isnt shallow on one intire side

#8 Jason Roy

Jason Roy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

As of January 1, 2014 one is allowed to retain two (2) speckled trout per day in Gairloch Lake and other lakes where allowed.

http://novascotia.ca...?id=20131230001

#9 Lguthro

Lguthro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:14 AM

Gairloch Lake? what's the ice conditions i know this rain will take a beating on it but will be back home over the weekend wouldn't mind venturing out 

#10 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

Gairloch Lake? what's the ice conditions i know this rain will take a beating on it but will be back home over the weekend wouldn't mind venturing out 

LOL....probably over 24" and will be safe well into April.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users