5 replies to this topic

#1 caper40

caper40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

just wondering how to dry out a peice of deer hide i put a layer of coarse salt down then the deer hide will that work?

#2 LSF

LSF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMiddleton

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

get all the flesh off the hide and coat it in coarse salt and alum .....after all the moisture appears to be out of it hang it to dry some more

#3 gould

gould

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

WASH THE H#LL OUT OF IT FIRST. Use a solution of sunlight dish soap and water. ENSURE it is clean. I had a piece of hide that was tanned at home given to me. I had to toss out a few hundred dollars worth of capes, hides and assorted feathers due to a bug infestation. All it takes is one bug to multiply and DESTROY an entire supply of materials. And once you get them its very hard to get ride of them.

There are many detailed videos youtube that should help you out.

#4 trutta

trutta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:05 AM

WASH THE H#LL OUT OF IT FIRST. Use a solution of sunlight dish soap and water. ENSURE it is clean. I had a piece of hide that was tanned at home given to me. I had to toss out a few hundred dollars worth of capes, hides and assorted feathers due to a bug infestation. All it takes is one bug to multiply and DESTROY an entire supply of materials. And once you get them its very hard to get ride of them.

There are many detailed videos youtube that should help you out.

Very good advice I lost an entire desk full of capes etc. thousands of dollars. They even chewed all my spools of silk floss.

#5 caper40

caper40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

wow i put it in the freezer for a few days first after washing

#6 gould

gould

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

The freezer will help. ITs best to leave it in a while to make sure the little critters are good and frosty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users