59 replies to this topic

#1 Bass_Slayer

Bass_Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:07 AM

So i've been fishing for 25 years, and finally decided to get myself a salmon licence and tags. I know the spots in the rivers so why not take advantage right? After tens of miles hiked and only a few hook up I decided to do a little research. Do any of you realize Atlantic Salmon are being considered for the Aquatic Species at Risk act, That our gouvernment keeps postponing hearings.That Atlantic salmon in North America account for roughly only 8 % of all brude stocks, and yet our gouvernment still allows us to fish them for recreation...I mean would'nt the salmon association know this,and stop promoting angling for one of our greatest fish species. Just thought you might want something to think about next year when your helping finish the salmon off. Fish Farms do have a place and so do salmon fisherman, its together. Leave the last couple wild salmon we have out of it. Even fighting one on a Fly for a few minutes makes you as bad as the gouvernment which allows it. I have a greater respect for Salmon now that I am more educated, If your a salmon Angler, just edcated yourself. I don't expect anyone to listen, and im probably going to get a lot of deffensive feedback. just be carful with the last few salmon. I just watched cbc last night where a story from china showed people going to the extent of dressing as pandas in order to preserve the last few wild pandas. You all laugh but will see how funny it is when your dumb arses are layin in the bottom of the river in a fake salmon costume just trying to get a simple picture of the last salmon. That is all.

#2 Bass_Slayer

Bass_Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:19 AM

http://icesjms.oxfor...t/60/2/343.full

Here is a link from one of the worlds best universities to get you started

#3 csft

csft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:47 AM

http://www.asf.ca/main.html

Chasing Silver Fly & Tackle Shop, Truro, NS

https://www.facebook...315855245116155

#4 Bass_Slayer

Bass_Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

Rediculous is'nt it

#5 csft

csft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

What's ridiculous ? 

#6 zymtoot

zymtoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

With your research you have done do you think eliminating fly fisherman is going to help? Can you imagine how quick  they would be completely wiped out if nobody was on the rivers watching/protecting them.There would MORE ILLEGAL nets in the rivers in no time.They would be poached into extinction in a mere few years if it took that long.It benefits the salmon having us on the rivers, somebody has to protect them because the government/DFO dont give a flying [email protected]#K about them.  

#7 SalmoSolar

SalmoSolar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

as 20+ year salmon angler i would be all for shutting down the fishing until numbers were to reach recorded highs.

BUT the main problem with this is the ridiculous amount of fisheries officers and others to enforce this that would be needed . the costs would be astronomical ,money wise.   

I will also point out recreational fishing for atlantic salmon, when done properly, is not even in the same ball park as the other problems plaguing this truly amazing creature.  

#8 SalmoSolar

SalmoSolar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

stop any and all clear cutting. stop any and all commercial fishing in fresh or salt water. stop any and all legal killing of them PERIOD. these sound like good ideas.   but taking the people who care about them off the rivers would do nothing at this point but allow poachers to write off the rest of them.

#9 Bass_Slayer

Bass_Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

With your research you have done do you think eliminating fly fisherman is going to help? Can you imagine how quick  they would be completely wiped out if nobody was on the rivers watching/protecting them.There would MORE ILLEGAL nets in the rivers in no time.They would be poached into extinction in a mere few years if it took that long.It benefits the salmon having us on the rivers, somebody has to protect them because the government/DFO dont give a flying [email protected]#K about them.  

I see your from Cape Breton. Next year why dont you come to the mainland and see how thats been  working out here.... Theres none left man...stop being selFISH

#10 csft

csft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

So i've been fishing for 25 years, and finally decided to get myself a salmon licence and tags. I know the spots in the rivers so why not take advantage right? After tens of miles hiked and only a few hook up I decided to do a little research. Do any of you realize Atlantic Salmon are being considered for the Aquatic Species at Risk act, That our gouvernment keeps postponing hearings.That Atlantic salmon in North America account for roughly only 8 % of all brude stocks, and yet our gouvernment still allows us to fish them for recreation...I mean would'nt the salmon association know this,and stop promoting angling for one of our greatest fish species. Just thought you might want something to think about next year when your helping finish the salmon off. Fish Farms do have a place and so do salmon fisherman, its together. Leave the last couple wild salmon we have out of it. Even fighting one on a Fly for a few minutes makes you as bad as the gouvernment which allows it. I have a greater respect for Salmon now that I am more educated, If your a salmon Angler, just edcated yourself. I don't expect anyone to listen, and im probably going to get a lot of deffensive feedback. just be carful with the last few salmon. I just watched cbc last night where a story from china showed people going to the extent of dressing as pandas in order to preserve the last few wild pandas. You all laugh but will see how funny it is when your dumb arses are layin in the bottom of the river in a fake salmon costume just trying to get a simple picture of the last salmon. That is all.

In the nicest way i can possibly say it .... you need to get down from your soapbox and do some more educating of yourself before you make such comments.

#11 mattd

mattd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

Bass_Slayer,

I respectively disagree with your "educated proposal" to close salmon angling all together.  There are 1000 reasons why that is not the solution.  Just because someone does not catch any, doesn’t mean there are none around.  What numbers are you basing your opinion around ? ....the ones from the report cards that are sent in (which are few and far between) ? or the actual salmon counted in a river by a counting device ?....nope...they don't exist on every river either.

The best thing for anglers to do if they are concerned about the "salmon population, is to contribute back to the species by joining a river association, partake in river enhancement, practice catch and release, do not promote or bucket brigade invasive species, educate other fishers on the river, educate yourself on the impacts of fish farming, clear cutting etc, encourage others to try the sport, ask for government funding, research and promotion of the Salmon... etc etc.

But do not think that "no fishing " is the solution.

Look at the St Marys River where Salmon Angling is not allowed.  No one knows how many fish are returning,, there is no action plan, and people have forgotten about it,

#12 csft

csft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

Bass_Slayer,

I respectively disagree with your "educated proposal" to close salmon angling all together.  There are 1000 reasons why that is not the solution.  Just because someone does not catch any, doesn’t mean there are none around.  What numbers are you basing your opinion around ? ....the ones from the report cards that are sent in (which are few and far between) ? or the actual salmon counted in a river by a counting device ?....nope...they don't exist on every river either.

The best thing for anglers to do if they are concerned about the "salmon population, is to contribute back to the species by joining a river association, partake in river enhancement, practice catch and release, do not promote or bucket brigade invasive species, educate other fishers on the river, educate yourself on the impacts of fish farming, clear cutting etc, encourage others to try the sport, ask for government funding, research and promotion of the Salmon... etc etc.

But do not think that "no fishing " is the solution.

Look at the St Marys River where Salmon Angling is not allowed.  No one knows how many fish are returning,, there is no action plan, and people have forgotten about it,

Well said Matt

#13 zymtoot

zymtoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

I guess in your 1st year of salmon angling you got it all figured out Bass Slayer, i guess my selfishness will continue because i will not stop salmon angling because you think its a good idea.I KNOW better, think what you want about me i dont care at all, have fun with your bass.Well Matt csft,salmo and others this guy got it all figured out so we better trade in the 8wts for spin gear to fish bass and stop doing what we have been doing for years or we will wipe all the salmon out.LOL.

#14 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

For decades we have observed the decline of atlantic salmon and have followed the recommendations and the advice of DFO. The problem is the actual problem for salmon has never been idenified and the symptoms have been treated like they were the problem. It may be that the problem is a collective of the symptoms in other words the salmons decline could be a death by a thousand cuts and not one. 

If you believe that hystory repeats itself concider this. Many years ago the mainland moose was in serious decline and the problem was not idenified so what to do? Sancutaries were set up and no hunting in these areas but the moose continued to dissappear. The last resort was to eliminate hunting and so it was done. Didn't help! After the moose was gone the problem was discovered, it was a brain worm that deer introduced! So stopping hunting didn't save the moose anymore than stopping fishing will save the salmon. We need to find the problem not resort to a solution to a problem nobody seems to understand.and stopping fishing for salmon will not help! imo

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

#15 Bass_Slayer

Bass_Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:34 PM

Im not saying I have salmon figured out and im not telling you to stop. There just ar'nt enough of them for me to feel comfortable pursuing them any further, you make you own choices. I can still watch half a dozen of them in one of my favorite spots and thats good enough for me

#16 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:19 AM

Fish farms have no place .....educate yourself on open pen fish farms and come back to type normal text.

#17 IceShanty

IceShanty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:06 AM

Stopped fishing for salmon many years ago..
I just didn't feel right pursuing then anymore...
Numbers way to low.....

#18 Bass_Slayer

Bass_Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:53 AM

Stopped fishing for salmon many years ago..
I just didn't feel right pursuing then anymore...
Numbers way to low.....

Thanks you

#19 Bass_Slayer

Bass_Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

Fish farms have no place .....educate yourself on open pen fish farms and come back to type normal text.

Salmon farms have a place and one place only. Close inland pens could be used to keep oldschoolers from pressuring wild stocks. There denial is probly the biggest pressure on  each river individually. Do any of u know the effects on salmon eggs inside a hen as your fighting it? If any of you say No damage at all, your rod should be sent through a shredder....

#20 zymtoot

zymtoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

I understand you concern Bass slayer,but disagree with what you are saying that C&R fly fishing is not a benefit and essential for their survival.Not the actual fishing(although i dont believe C&R is what is killing the salmon,or responsible for their decline in some rivers) ,but what anglers do for the salmon.Without us the salmon will be gone forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users