#22 Gregory

Gregory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:06 AM

I've never been to a Bass-Pro or Cabellas so no doubt I'll make the trip after the excitement dies down, definitely won't be in the grand opening crowd

#23 OleNewfieDog

OleNewfieDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

Anyone know when the grand opening date is?

Personal hook & line records:
Chain Pickerel - 24" 4lbs
Small Mouth Bass - 19.25" and 2lbs 1oz
Trout - 10"
Yellow Perch - 8"
Brown Bullhead - 10"
Shark - 120" Blue (dad's line actually :P )
Atlantic Cod - 36" (25 to 30 lbs approx)
Mackerel - tinkers
Scoulpin - who cares :angry:

#24 csft

csft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:22 PM

Anyone know when the grand opening date is?

I wouldn't get too excited yet, they haven't even bought a piece of land yet ... i would be surprised if they open by early 2015

Chasing Silver Fly & Tackle Shop, Truro, NS

https://www.facebook...315855245116155

#25 NS_Sens

NS_Sens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:03 PM

Yeah, news is saying 2015.

http://www.news919.c...pen-in-moncton/

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. -- George W. Sears

#26 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

I've been to the BPS a number of times in both Calgary (CrossIron Mills) and Orlando. AWESOME selection. TERRIBLE prices.

I started reading a book about anti-gravity and I just couldn't put it down.

#27 tundrawalker1

tundrawalker1

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 527 posts
  • LocationMount Uniacke

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

That gives me lots of time to squirrel away a few bucks for an opening weekend road trip....and gives my wife lots of time to find a good divorce lawyer! lol

4fitz, count me in for a road trip!

#28 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

Wonder if it would be too soon to ask Santa for BassPro Gift Cards?

I mean, I don't want to jinx it, but might be worth hoarding a few away in anticipation of the Grand Opening in Moncton.

God knows my shopping list could use a little financial "assistance" from some Gift Cards.

Hope to be feeling up to a few fishing trips by 2015. Not to mention, I could use a serious infusion of "unique" tying materials.

Just looking forward to some "variety". Simply can't wait.

This must be what it felt like when "Kids" heard that Toys R Us was coming to a mall near them.

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#29 Dexter

Dexter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

I have no issue paying a little extra for something local, but that premium price must come with some sort of value-add; say excellent advice and service. I'm willing to drive to Moncton to explore the extra selection.

A local store can actually leverage this. If they see a market for more stuff by people driving to Moncton to get it then they got the confirmation they need to invest in that extra inventory.

I'd be interested in some sort of buy in bulk type membership. Buy 10 bags of Senkos in one shot, get a great discount for example.

Since all plastic baits range in price from $6.00 to $8.00 a bag, maybe a punch card would work. Buy seven bags of bait, receive the eighth bag free.

#30 rouge

rouge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:00 PM

Dartmouth Crossing would make way more sense. 

#31 fivepoundtrout

fivepoundtrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:55 PM

Dartmouth Crossing would make way more sense. 

For basspro as a company, it most certainly would not. We do not live somewhere with a large enough population, nor a large enough population of fisherman. Where we are would draw people from the HRM, and surrounding Halifax areas. Moncton will draw a cstomer base much larger, from all of the maritime provinces. There is a reason we only have select fishing stores, and I bet if you asked them theyd tell you they arent floating in cash. For now it is so easy to order from them online. If in 5-10 years they do really well, then they will expand all over the place, but for now with no real foothold in the maritimes, satisfying thousands in Halifax, wouldnt do nearly as well as satisfying hundreds of thousands or even millions from a Moncton location. Its the same reason moncton gets the concerts we dont get.

I live 4 minutes from the crossing, it may make me happy, but it doesnt make a whole lot of business sense.

#32 rouge

rouge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

For basspro as a company, it most certainly would not. We do not live somewhere with a large enough population, nor a large enough population of fisherman. Where we are would draw people from the HRM, and surrounding Halifax areas. Moncton will draw a cstomer base much larger, from all of the maritime provinces. There is a reason we only have select fishing stores, and I bet if you asked them theyd tell you they arent floating in cash. For now it is so easy to order from them online. If in 5-10 years they do really well, then they will expand all over the place, but for now with no real foothold in the maritimes, satisfying thousands in Halifax, wouldnt do nearly as well as satisfying hundreds of thousands or even millions from a Moncton location. Its the same reason moncton gets the concerts we dont get.

I live 4 minutes from the crossing, it may make me happy, but it doesnt make a whole lot of business sense.

To be honest I know more people from NB,PEI that travel to Halifax for a trip not to Moncton. Concerts have nothing to do with population it’s a cash flow that Moncton saves up for every year. Compared to our concerts Rush,Rolling Stones and Paul Mccartney I still see Halifax with the upper hand. Putting a Outdoors store in Dartmouth crossing makes way more sense from a business point of view compared to sticking it by the future inn hotel which Moncton is doing. Large enough fishing population compared to New Brunswick?? Come on now there's a reason Dartmouth is called the city of lakes.

Moncton 69,074

Saint John 68,045

Fredricton 34,000

Halifax 413,710

Sydney 31,597

South Shore 116,080

Charlottetown 34,562

Comparing the Population to Fishermen/Outdoors I still see NS with the upper hand at the end of the day I’m sure it comes down to the 2% tax difference

#33 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationCow Bay

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

Gotta agree with Rouge on this one, especially since Cabelas announced they were coming to Moncton also . I think there would be very little competition for the outdoors 

market in Dartmouth for one of those heavyweights!

#34 fivepoundtrout

fivepoundtrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

To be honest I know more people from NB,PEI that travel to Halifax for a trip not to Moncton. Concerts have nothing to do with population it’s a cash flow that Moncton saves up for every year. Compared to our concerts Rush,Rolling Stones and Paul Mccartney I still see Halifax with the upper hand. Putting a Outdoors store in Dartmouth crossing makes way more sense from a business point of view compared to sticking it by the future inn hotel which Moncton is doing. Large enough fishing population compared to New Brunswick?? Come on now there's a reason Dartmouth is called the city of lakes.

Moncton 69,074

Saint John 68,045

Fredricton 34,000

Halifax 413,710

Sydney 31,597

South Shore 116,080

Charlottetown 34,562

Comparing the Population to Fishermen/Outdoors I still see NS with the upper hand at the end of the day I’m sure it comes down to the 2% tax difference

Im sure theyve done thier research, a company like basspro doesnt become as successful as they are by just firing locations in random places, belive what you want, but theres reasons (99% financially driven in business) why theyve chosen moncton. If there was more money and more of a draw here, than theyd be here, simple as that.

#35 NS_Sens

NS_Sens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:46 PM

I would love to have Bass Pro in Dartmouth, would save the gas I'm going to be burning driving to Moncton every few weeks.  Considering the fact that Moncton has already named the street Cabela Court, and they have the location which means that Cabelas will be the first one in, I doubt the Bass Pro will follow through with it, they haven't made any progress and they're suppose to be opening spring of 2015.  I don't think the area can sustain two big retailers that focus mostly on the same thing.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. -- George W. Sears

#36 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

I would imagine that the location was well studied. Logistics would play a role as well. Most likely they will ground transport out of the central US. Moncton provides closer shipping while avoiding extra costs like the Cobequid Pass and shorter distances.

Also, if you were to draw a circle(of any size) around the two proposed locations; half the circle in the Halifax area will always come up ocean. The Moncton locale promises a far greater draw overall. Not to mention that they know we'll make the pilgrimage to get the better selection of product.

The one question that remains will be can the local market afford the overall pricing that they present. A more rural population base, such as ours, could necessitate higher overall pricing. This will remain to be seen.

Still, it will be nice to have the selection a little closer to home.

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#37 OleNewfieDog

OleNewfieDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

I got a budget of money to spend in a year.  If their pricing is worth it, I will make a single trip to them and buy it all in one shot. Its that simple.

Personal hook & line records:
Chain Pickerel - 24" 4lbs
Small Mouth Bass - 19.25" and 2lbs 1oz
Trout - 10"
Yellow Perch - 8"
Brown Bullhead - 10"
Shark - 120" Blue (dad's line actually :P )
Atlantic Cod - 36" (25 to 30 lbs approx)
Mackerel - tinkers
Scoulpin - who cares :angry:

#38 NS_Sens

NS_Sens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

Even if I had no budget I'd probably still make a day out of it just to go look at what's new and window shop.

#39 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

Im sure theyve done thier research, a company like basspro doesnt become as successful as they are by just firing locations in random places, belive what you want, but theres reasons (99% financially driven in business) why theyve chosen moncton. If there was more money and more of a draw here, than theyd be here, simple as that.

Personally, I think they pooched their research... as did Target when it ventured to Canada.

I started reading a book about anti-gravity and I just couldn't put it down.

#40 902

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

Personally, I think pooched their research... as did Target when it ventured to Canada.

You might be right, especially about target, they definitely over estimated their brand power here, but basspro has a huge "cult" following if you will... target had to compete against huge businesses like walmart, who already carry almost all of their products at the same/lower price. Bassproshops on the other hand.. they've only got to compete with Fishing Fever, Hi-Liner, Hnatiuks, Better Buy Sports and other small shops who can't afford to carry as much or sell as cheap. Their selection and prices dwarf everything we have access to right now so unless Cabelas decides to slide in and steal away their monopoly, bp is going to make some serious cash (probably from me...among others :P). 

All that aside if I can get it at Fishing Fever I probably will. Last thing I want is for them to go out of business and leave us Scotians driving to moncton or ordering

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users