Fisherman Caught With 40 Extra Trout In Maragree! - Page 3 - Fishing in the News - Nova Scotia Fishing

Photo

Fisherman Caught With 40 Extra Trout In Maragree!

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 OleNewfieDog

OleNewfieDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:50 AM

I'd like to know where the trout was when he was caught with them. Not sure if it applies to trout, but in Newfoundland for specis like salmon and cod, if you were caught transfering that fish from boat to truck, you would lose both boat and truck since both would be consider aides of the crime.

He should at least get the maxium fine availble and lose his fishing equipment. And if that fish was in his automobile take that too. Public aution his stuff and put it all in the media. People seem to become genuinly sorry when they get a good stiff punishment.

Personal hook & line records:
Chain Pickerel - 24" 4lbs
Small Mouth Bass - 19.25" and 2lbs 1oz
Trout - 10"
Yellow Perch - 8"
Brown Bullhead - 10"
Shark - 120" Blue (dad's line actually :P )
Atlantic Cod - 36" (25 to 30 lbs approx)
Mackerel - tinkers
Scoulpin - who cares :angry:

#42 csft

csft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:16 PM

I guess crime does pay :(

http://www.capebreto...t=400&width=700

Judge reduces fishing fine for Mira area man

SYDNEY — A recreational fisherman who sought a reduction of a nearly $5,000 fine has been granted his wish.

Provincial court Judge David Ryan imposed a $400 fine on Francis Archibald Hannigan which was reduced sharply from the minimum fine of $4,820.

The fine was imposed after Hannigan pleaded guilty to exceeding the daily bag limit of trout. He was found in possession of 40 fish which exceeded the limit of five.

His defence lawyer argued that Hannigan is a man of very limited financial means earning about $800 a month from a pension and other sources.

Hannigan, of Grand Mira South, now has until October 2015 to pay off the fine.

Chasing Silver Fly & Tackle Shop, Truro, NS

https://www.facebook...315855245116155

#43 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts
  • LocationAnywhere that fish are and people are not

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

A couple years back a guy was caught shooting a Mainland Moose, including its calf, in Northern /Central NS. At the end of the day( Mainland Moose are protected) he could have received  a 1/2 Million Dollar fine. He got a slap on the wrist, several thousand dollars if memory serves me.

So the moral of my story, I am not surprised with the fine here. Judges are not doing much anywhere when it come to dishing out responses to crimes.  Whether wildlife or real life. Hire a mouth piece and you are likely getting off with just a tap.

I keep my head held high and smile, because there are people who will kill to see me fall.

#44 Edward

Edward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

So disappointing........

#45 op-dog

op-dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Locationwhere i'm too

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

"Poachers Rejoyce"

I can only wonder, how many times in his 60 years, has this guy kept more than his limit of fish or whatever he was pursuing in the great outdoors. I imagine this was how he was taught by his father, his fathers father and he has probably passed this poaching tradition along to his children and grandchildren and so on. The fellow he was fishing was just as guilty for going along with it. I'm guessing they were both in possesion above the legal limit and the one guy decided to take the heat for all of it, so they both didn't get fined. My guess is they are both longtime poachers and the cost of this measely pittence of a fine will be shared by both. They will most likely laugh about their misfortune of being caught that one time, as they proceed to be just a bit more careful the next time they are out poaching.  As well the rest of the poaching community can rest safely knowing that should they ever be caught, the lax justice, or lack of justice system, will not deter them from their illegal activities. Thaks alot, Judge Meknot.

#46 Edward

Edward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

Ya and he has 2 years to pay it!!!!!! 

#47 cooterspaw

cooterspaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

unfortunately you cant stop it there will always be greed when it comes to our natural resources. the government allows big company's to exploit it because of big money and then there are people who do it because enough is never enough fish keep biting so they keep catching and keeping or there's four deer feeding in there bait pile so...  all you can do is educate and educate some more and hope in time it gets through to the next generation and the generation after that. it would be nice to know that my grandsons kids will get to experience the fight of a wild brook trout on a 5 weight rod with a 6x leader and tippet or watching a white tail buck leap silently over a dead fall as his white tail and rump disappear into a thick stand of maples  

#48 scottw

scottw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationBridgewater, NS

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:20 PM

$800 a month pension?

I don't imagine those trout were going to waste.

#49 cooterspaw

cooterspaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

$800 a month pension?

I don't imagine those trout were going to waste.

so if he goes out the next day and the day after that and after that and takes as many fish as he can catch that makes it all right because he has limited income? glad not every senior citizen or person on disability or any kind of limited income thinks that way. if he shop lifts or breaks into homes that's ok because hes hasn't got a lot of money?

#50 raven4ns

raven4ns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

It would seem my previous comments hold true about watered down laws, and people wonder why our resource is in the shape it is, this is why!!!!!!

Tim

All the best

Tim

The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down....but how many times he gets back up

https://www.flickr.c...s/[email protected]/

#51 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:31 AM

It would seem my previous comments hold true about watered down laws, and people wonder why our resource is in the shape it is, this is why!!!!!!

Tim

So long as there are touchy feely judges and lawyers who are paid well to represent people, nothing will ever change.

I keep my head held high and smile, because there are people who will kill to see me fall.

#52 fivepoundtrout

fivepoundtrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:44 AM

I wonder how much he was able to swing in lawyer fees since this started... This case is a joke, and people wonder where all our fish are. Why should people follow laws that dont get enforced, thats the only message they are sending.

#53 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

I guess crime does pay :(

http://www.capebreto...t=400&width=700

Judge reduces fishing fine for Mira area man

SYDNEY — A recreational fisherman who sought a reduction of a nearly $5,000 fine has been granted his wish.

Provincial court Judge David Ryan imposed a $400 fine on Francis Archibald Hannigan which was reduced sharply from the minimum fine of $4,820.

The fine was imposed after Hannigan pleaded guilty to exceeding the daily bag limit of trout. He was found in possession of 40 fish which exceeded the limit of five.

His defence lawyer argued that Hannigan is a man of very limited financial means earning about $800 a month from a pension and other sources.

Hannigan, of Grand Mira South, now has until October 2015 to pay off the fine.

So if the "man is of limited means" why couldn't the Judge impose mandatory community service? Perhaps a hundred hours per fish (over the limit) spent with a River Association might have served to "educate" this person in the effort that goes into sustaining a decent fishery.

Hell, stick him in an orange jumpsuit with a "Poacher" sign hung around his neck and have him stand in a public place for a day per fish.

It used to be (at least rumoured) that if you got caught you lost your vehicle and gear as well as received the fine. That was years ago, though.

It would appear that this is simply another example of the true "importance" that Government and those charged with protecting our Sport hold in regard the significance of their duty.

However, the judgement is in keeping with the usual "slap on the wrist" approach that our Justice System usually meters out. Sad. Not much of a deterrent.

Truly disheartening,

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#54 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

I wonder how much he was able to swing in lawyer fees since this started... This case is a joke, and people wonder where all our fish are. Why should people follow laws that dont get enforced, thats the only message they are sending.

The thing to remember here is that it is not just our Natural resources that are under punished, when crimes are committed. The issue is much deeper. Our entire Criminal system is seriously broken. Acts that are out-dated. The Young Offenders act, the Protection of Property act, just to name two. When someone is sentenced, lets say to life for Murder, that same person can be on the street, on parole, in 10 years. That is not life....
So when we look at this case and become outraged at the fine, some soul searching really must take place.
Our Prisons are full, our court system is over booked, I could go on, but it is pointless.
Are far as Trout go, that is my fishing passion. I do not like to see this, but rather then viewing the glass half empty, I know most respect the laws and take within the allowable limits , or take even less.

#55 SalmoSolar

SalmoSolar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

i think every person in this thread should contact the judge and let him know just how much he has let "we the people" down. i could'nt care less about the persons financial situation. thats something THEY, as in the CRIMINAL should of thought about or took in to consideration, NOT a judge or jury or anyone else.    if someone steals something because they are poor it isnt taken in to consideration by the courts as to why they stole.   (for the record id rather see someone get off easy stealing from walmart/grocery stores then someone getting off easy by raping the very tiny amount of nature we have left. 

bottom line is yet again our so called system fails BIGTIME!!!!  

what a cruel, cruel joke it is to even include the word justice in its title.  

#56 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

i think every person in this thread should contact the judge and let him know just how much he has let "we the people" down. i could'nt care less about the persons financial situation. thats something THEY, as in the CRIMINAL should of thought about or took in to consideration, NOT a judge or jury or anyone else.    if someone steals something because they are poor it isnt taken in to consideration by the courts as to why they stole.   (for the record id rather see someone get off easy stealing from walmart/grocery stores then someone getting off easy by raping the very tiny amount of nature we have left. 
bottom line is yet again our so called system fails BIGTIME!!!!  
what a cruel, cruel joke it is to even include the word justice in its title.

With all do diligence, contact the Judge for what? IMO yes this was a big deal, but come on now, really? We just went through the criminal and legal process of several MLA's whom stole tens of thousands of dollars from you and me. Much of the public sympathized with them, possibly in the same context as you do for someone poor stealing from a major chain? That I find disturbing and confusing that you would support one form of theft, but not the other?. That is how screwed up we think in todays world. What did they (the MLA's) receive in punishment. Not much my friend. I admire your concern and passion, but as I said earlier, the system is broken, calling and complaining will simply raise your blood pressure. Place in the back of your mind set, that most of us are law abiding and follow the rules and limits established by Inland Fisheries. When a Protected Mainland Moose and her Calf are killed and the perpetrator gets only a several thousand dollar fine, Trout, sadly, will not receive much attention.

#57 Fred Dupey

Fred Dupey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:11 PM

The most disgusting thing is that the fishing on in the Grand Mira South area is not what it used to be, why is that?  Because people like Hannigan have poached all the fish in that part of the province, so now he moves on to other part to destroy another region on Nova Scotia.  I hate to imagine the amount of fish this guy poached in the past 30 - 40 years.

I agree with Terran if the man cannot pay the fine COMMUNITY SERVICE, make him pick up garbage on the side of the road for a thousand hours, send a message to all the poachers out there... 

#58 Colton

Colton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationFall River, Halifax

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:50 PM

So disappointed this happened. Could have been a good example for poachers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users