Weed Proof Lure For Chain Pickerel - Page 2 - Lures & Lure Making - Nova Scotia Fishing

Photo

Weed Proof Lure For Chain Pickerel

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 NSYakfisher

NSYakfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

Try texposing your fluke with a 5/0 ewg hook... Should help a tonne

#22 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 908 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

Instead of using an offset hook you need to use an extra wide gap (ewg) hook.  The extra wide gap is what's needed to allow the soft plastic to slide out of the way and allow the hook point to stick the fish.  As NSYakfisher suggests, use a 5/0 ewg hook and texpose it.  What is texpose you ask? Check out this pic I just took showing a Trokar 5/0 EWG hook rigged on a Lunkerhunt Bento Minnow Bait which is basically the same as a fluke but only better. ;)  lol  Take note of the extra bend or gap that the hook has.  When the fish bites down on the lure, the lure will slide down towards the bend and then the hook point is exposed inside the fishes mouth.  Now just set the hook and hang on. 

625456_10153166226335565_642607627_n.jpg   

#23 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 908 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

and yes this is completely weedless.

#24 OleNewfieDog

OleNewfieDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

Sorry, my apologies. I do have a EWG hook. To be exact its a Gamakatsu Offset Shank Worm EWG, and I have it rigged just like you do. Only difference is, mine is a 4/0. I might get some 5/0 later, but I am gonna try similiar style hooks, that are weedless out of the bag.

I noticed today on the ones I did catch, that the CP did not have the fluke in its mouth lengthwise; meaning say fluke tail down its throat, and fluke head sticking out of its mouth for example. Instead, the CP had it across it's mouth and the hook had set in its lip. (Visualize the letter T) Maybe I just need to wait longer for it to swallow it. I figured 5 to 10 seconds would be long enough. That just said I saw some videos on youtube that showed the same thing, the CP takes the bait from the side, not lengthwise.

Still gonna try those weedless hooks, and I'm gonna experiment with trying to make a treble weedless too. Or a squid jigger baited into a round ball.  Give me 5 years and the lakes will have their trout back.  :lol:

Personal hook & line records:
Chain Pickerel - 24" 4lbs
Small Mouth Bass - 19.25" and 2lbs 1oz
Trout - 10"
Yellow Perch - 8"
Brown Bullhead - 10"
Shark - 120" Blue (dad's line actually :P )
Atlantic Cod - 36" (25 to 30 lbs approx)
Mackerel - tinkers
Scoulpin - who cares :angry:

#25 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 908 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

A Gamakatsu 4/0 EWG hook should be ok.  Only other thing I notice is that you mentioned your using 10 lb mono for line.  Mono has a lot of stretch which will result in loss of "hook setting power".  On a very long cast mono can be like using an elastic band and produce ineffective hook sets.  I use PowerPro braided line with a floro leader on all reels.  The zero stretch of the braided line requires much less effort when setting the hook. ;)

#26 OleNewfieDog

OleNewfieDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:30 PM

You know when I yanked back, I thought to myself that it felt like it stretches a fair bit. For the amount I pulled I didn't feel as much 'back force' as I expected. Thanks for the tips. I sent you a message too. Thanks again. :)

Trout - 10"
Yellow Perch - 8"
Brown Bullhead - 10"
Mackerel - tinkers

#27 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 908 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

When you combine the stretch in the mono line and the flex of your rod that will equal a significant amount of lost power in your hook set.  I seen a demonstration once that had a guy holding a hook between his thumb and index finger(keeping the point and barb away from any fingers).  The hook had mono line tied on it and on the other end (about 40 ft away) was another man with the rod and reel.  The man with the rod tried multiple times to yank the hook from the other guy's fingers by "setting the hook" and it couldn't be done.  Then the same demo was done with braided line and just a quick and subtle snap of the wrist resulted in the hook slipping from the other man's grip.

#28 NSYakfisher

NSYakfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

I also use power pro with a 17 lb flouro leader when targeting pickeral...works great... Hard to hook a fish on casts of any length especially in thick stuff using mono and soft plastic baits.

#29 OleNewfieDog

OleNewfieDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

Thanks guys....I think I will get me a spool of Power Pro and much thicker mono to use, instead of a steel leader.   How well does the Power Pro braided work with slip bobbers?

Trout - 10"
Yellow Perch - 8"
Brown Bullhead - 10"
Mackerel - tinkers

#30 NSYakfisher

NSYakfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

I've never had an issue using slip bobbers with power pro... But in truth I haven't done a lot of it and when I do it's usually rigged for white perch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users