2 replies to this topic

#1 salmonguy-ns

salmonguy-ns

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

Hi Folks,

The Nova Scotia Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture has established an independent two-person Panel, consisting of Professors Meinhard Doelle and William Lahey of Dalhousie University, to develop a regulatory framework for aquaculture in Nova Scotia.

The Panel will lead the development of this framework through a process that is independent, transparent, consultative, collaborative, analytically rigorous and evidence-based. The outcome of this initiative will be a regulatory framework that meet the highest standards of effectiveness while balancing the interests of industry, other marine users, local communities, and environmental protection.

Commencing on July 15 there will be meetings held throughout Nova Scotia and it is important if someone could attend the meetings in your area. It would be great if we could have someone there to represent wild salmon.

Information on the panel and meeting dates can be found at:
http://www.aquaculturereview.ca/

We know that industry reps will be there, so we need to be sure that wild salmon concerns are also brought out.

Some background info is for your use is available at:

http://www.asf.ca/no...view-panel.html

Hopefully someone can attend some of the meetings in your area.

Lewis

#2 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

Salmonguy-ns,

I just signed on to post this very information. Pleased to see you beat me to it.

This is going to be an interesting excercise. It is hopeful that the members of the panel are "open" to input from those not so supportive of this industry.

Here is the article that appeared in the July 12, 2013 Chronicle Herald on the topic: Aquaculture Rules Weighed at Meeting - http://thechronicleh...hed-at-meetings

If health issues allow, I will try to attend my area meeting.

Should anyone need material researched to support their argument/presentation, please PM me and I'll try to supply what I can.

This is an opportunity to present the Government/Panel with the concerns and suggestions of those who are interested in protecting our wild Atlantic Salmon, our coastal waters and our health.

Cheers,

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#3 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

"Committee Reviewing Aquaculture Procedure and Regulations" (CRAP'R )

I coined this "title", in "Aquaculture Ass. Fights Back", when the "Panel" was announced. The cynic in me still feels that the coincidental timing of this Panel and the upcoming Provincial Election announcement have more to do with each other than the Governments actual interest in changing their position and procedures regarding aquaculture.

Yet, one can be hopeful that members of the "Panel", not directly stakeholders in the aquaculture industry, might be able to rise above the muck and actually facilitate some positive change.

Otherwise, all of this will simply go in the CRAP'R and get flushed away.

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users