Please Help! Where Are The Squid Right Now? - General Fishing Questions - Nova Scotia Fishing

Photo

Please Help! Where Are The Squid Right Now?

squid

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ultracat

ultracat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

Hi all, and thanks for checking out this post!  We're from Bridgewater and the kids and I are very excited to do some squid fishing. We're being told by local fishermen that squid are in and around the Bridgewater area right now but despite our best efforts we've been unable to catch anything but small mackeral.  We'd like to know a foolproof location for fishing squid and we're willing to travel anywhere along the coast from the Halifax area right around to Digby, if need be, to get them.  Please share with us the best squid-fishing spot!  THANK YOU!! :)  

We cannot control the wind, but we can always adjust our sails.

#2 Sargasso

Sargasso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

People were catching a few at Boutilier's Point wharf this past weekend. Not in numbers like a month ago, but there are some in the inner harbour near where the boats are moored. 

http://goo.gl/maps/SQSCI

#3 Stefan

Stefan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

deep cove. yesterday got into more squid than mackerel. good luck

Keep Calm and Fish On

#4 ultracat

ultracat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

Sargasso and Stefan, thank you very much for your advice.  We'll head off to one or the other of those locations as soon as we can!  

#5 SHARK

SHARK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

mahone bay,lunenburg harbour,riverport

#6 ultracat

ultracat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:18 PM

Thanks Shark!  We have been fishing around the Riverport area by boat and also close into the government wharf but haven't managed to land one yet.  Can report however, that there are a lot of squid at the Mill Cove breakwater down in Birchy Head as we were there today.  Sadly, we only had mackeral lures and did not manage to snag one despite numerous bites.  You can see schools of them lurking close to bottom everywhere.  An asian couple fishing next to us was using proper squid jigs with double tine rings and a sort of shrimp-like body with these little forward-tilted feathery wings on either side of the body; they were landing them on almost every cast.  I watched them haul in dozens in the hour or so we were there.  On our way back home we stopped at the Home Hardware in Chester, and also Walmart and Canadian Tire in Bridgewater to buy squid jigs and not a single store has any in stock!  Where, in the Bridgewater and surrounding area, can a fella go to buy a proper squid jig?  

#7 gonefishin

gonefishin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

Hi ultracat,

Where to buy the shrimp like squid jigs that have the double set of hooks on its tail?  If you want "local" then you can try Fishing Fever (2858 Agricola St., Halifax, NS) and Hi-Liner (155 Chain Lake Dr  Halifax, NS B3S 1B3 (902) 457-4968) in Halifax.  I was in Fishing Fever yesterday and they had them in stock and costs around $7.50 each.  There is also an Asian guy who sells them on Boutilier's Point dock on weekend nights usually who sells them for cheaper.  You can also find them on Halifax Kijiji at http://halifax.kijij...ocationIdZ80010 for $5-$15.  I'm not affiliated with any of these retailers and I've never purchased from any of them except Hi-Liner.  

Good luck and by the way, the official "Squid 2013" discussion is here http://novascotiafis...754-squid-2013/ which has a lot of useful informations on where and when people were catching squid.  

Can't wait to go fishing!

#8 ultracat

ultracat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

Really helpful info here, gonefishin.  Thank you!  Your avatar is actually almost identical to the squid jigs I saw people using today in Mill Cove.  Thanks for the links as well, at least now I have a few sources for getting outfitted.  Was hoping to find a seller in the Bridgewater area but if no further info materializes, I'll venture out to one of the locations you've suggested.  Thanks also for the links--examining them now.  This site has a lot of friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable members--happy to be counted amongst you!  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: squid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users