1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationTruro and Kentville

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

Hey guys,

Read so much good things about the ZOOM super flukes that I decided to start giving them a try, along with other brands of similar soft swim baits.

Been getting LOTS of hits on them fishing for pickerel but I rarely hook the fish.

Can anyone help me? I've been using 2/0 (i think) worm hooks, I think they're Mustad or Matzuo ones. Tried rigging them weedless as well as lots of hook showing but neither works.

I find the pickerel just clamp right down across the bait and when I set the hook it just yanks the whole thing out. Really frustrating.

#2 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 908 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:06 AM

Use a 3/0 or 4/0 EWG (extra wide gap) hook instead of a worm hook.  When the fish bite down on the lure the extra wide gap provides a way more exposed hook point and then when you set the hook it will find it's mark much easier. 

#3 chaseforen777

chaseforen777

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:38 AM

I use the extra wide gaps, in whatever size puts the hook point as far back in the bait as possible. If the hook were any bigger it would be to long to fit the bait. Seems to work, also I find I have to hook set like I'm fishing a very slow moving bait, where you feel weight, then reel down and bury that hook with a good reef on the rod. Give the fish enough time to bite the bait and turn so I don't just yank the whole thing out of its mouth.

#4 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

I have been having pretty good luck with them latley,,the wide gap hook makes a difference..
I used the bubble gum color (pink) and I am suprised how good it worked..just takes a bit to get my head around to using a pink bait..LOL.
I have found that the CPs can rip them up fairly easily as the plastic is really soft..need to keep trying different colors now.

#5 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationTruro and Kentville

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

Ya I got the pink ones too, and got some cabelas brand ones that are green with red fleck. Both work awesome, really cool action, just need to figure out this hook set problem.

I will try some even bigger hooks. I think I had some 3/0 ones but same problem. I will go bigger! And maybe try the gamakatsu ewg ones.

And I will try the trick chase said of letting them turn with it first.

#6 scottw

scottw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationBridgewater, NS

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

4/0 EWG Gammie hooks. 20lb test line, med.heavy to heavy action rod, and set the hook like you hate the fish!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users