4 replies to this topic

#1 cooterspaw

cooterspaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:56 PM

not sure if this is the right spot for this post, but im not sure if I like this braided line. ive never used it I still go old school with 4lb mono when I spin fish. I was out fishing and I see red and dark green braided line close to the shore it was still attached to a lure or something caught on the bottom and where the line was so tough and wouldn't break they had to cut the line so now you have 70 or 80 feet of this line laying around. potentially causing a hazard for birds like geese, ducks, herrings. at least with mono its breaks fairly close to the hook usually. I also don't like seeing people leaving there birds nest of line all balled up on the shore It takes very little energy to put it in your pocket until you get to a garbage can. well there's my bitching for the day lol 

#2 basindawg

basindawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationCanning NS

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:02 AM

not sure if this is the right spot for this post, but im not sure if I like this braided line. ive never used it I still go old school with 4lb mono when I spin fish. I was out fishing and I see red and dark green braided line close to the shore it was still attached to a lure or something caught on the bottom and where the line was so tough and wouldn't break they had to cut the line so now you have 70 or 80 feet of this line laying around. potentially causing a hazard for birds like geese, ducks, herrings. at least with mono its breaks fairly close to the hook usually. I also don't like seeing people leaving there birds nest of line all balled up on the shore It takes very little energy to put it in your pocket until you get to a garbage can. well there's my bitching for the day lol 

well, as bitching goes, that was a pretty mild one !   Agree with you about the balls of mono stream-side, no friggin need of it but like I said before you can't legislate stupid. Some aholes will never learn.

#3 cooterspaw

cooterspaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:41 AM

I came across a great blue heron once that was dead and wrapped up in monofilament and a duck that had it wrapped around its legs. I have come home from many fishing trips with other peoples line in my pockets

#4 Shimanoman

Shimanoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationWaverley, Nova Scotia

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

Both lines have their up & down sides.  Over the years, I have seen far more balls of mono on stream sides or caught in trees than braids.  Possibly because one of its annoying properties is to jump off a spinning reel like a coiled spring then to be cut off the reel by an angler who will not or cannot untangle the mess.  The up side of the "superlines"  braid/fused is that they are  "limp" and do not act like a spring.  Their downside is that they are virtually indestructable and UV light does not seem to degrade them as it does with mono (I have braided lines on reels -and still fish them, which are over 24 years old).  Best remedy, pocket the garbage!!

Regards.... 

Life is too short, to take too much, too seriously, for too long ....Vernon P.Fraser

#5 scuro

scuro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

With mono if you birdnest or kink you cut it off because if it happens once it will probably only get worse. With braided I rarely cut line. I will simply switch rods and untangle the knot back at camp. The good stuff is expensive. If you break in the line right you can have problem free fishing on that reel for years. It has no memory. Heck, you can even reverse the line if the front end is getting worn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users