43 replies to this topic

#1 Liv

Liv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAmherst N.S.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

I was wondering if anybody would know if they opened the gate up to Methals lake by the big dam.
We were down there last june and it was closed. ..Liv

#2 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

They have drained Methals headpond, Methals Lake, Little River Lake. No fish will be harmed Power Corp, NSDF, Dept of Environment have it all taken care of! This will be in effect until end of June, then water will be released from Salmontail and it is hoped that it will refill the Lakes. Really? This will go on until Nov. Last time this happened a few years ago LRL was drained recovery was slow and it's not so much about fish as it is loss of vegetation.

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

#3 scottw

scottw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationBridgewater, NS

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

I wonder if they are doing maintenance on the dams, or generating at full capacity, and sucking the water out of the system?
If it's the latter, I will have a story to tell.

#4 sneakypete

sneakypete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

Scottw...work being performed on penstocks and gates at the Methals dam...hiopefully Perry is correct when he says it is to be "refilled" from salmontail lake. I to remember the LRL draw down he mentions as well as a couple of others..one on Balck River and Lumsden...they turned in to "cluster*****" to say the least

#5 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

This is a major job in that in order to refill from Salmontail a coffer dam has to be built in front of the intake at Methalls as high as the dam before the end of June. Then the work can be done on the penstock etc. It is a major job. I havent cked the depth in front of the dam but where will the fish go.........Petes right remember Lumsden? Tons of fish buried the largest fish kill in Canada that year I have been told! The Power Corp did a great job cleaning up the mess but an inexpensive sonar could have shown the potencial problem. I feel like Yogi Berra "Deja Vu all over again!

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

#6 sneakypete

sneakypete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

Perry as you theres probably 35-40ft in the headpond when full....I think at the intake its around 10-15ft of water at "high tide", LRL will be empty except for the deeper holes if they drop it this amount. ..id love to get back there to see what it looks like after its empty. My connection at NSP says 2 weeks to drain and about 2 weeks to build the coffer dam...all to be done by end of June...we can only hope! At least they are putting a coffer in...not like BRL in 90's where they should gave damned the narrows and didn't. Wow...I Didn;t realize the Lumsden fiasco was of that magnitude!!! I remember I met you below the dam there...I've never seen you so upset....what did they save 2 fish they went to BRL! Ive still got the newspaper clippings

#7 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

The Piss off for me is that NSDF didn't even show up when the Lumsden mess went down! Then there was the Dean Chapter fisaco! The banks were lined with dead fish all the way to the meadows, thousands of them! out of sight out of mind! I reported it and after SOP changed. What the H## do I know I'm only a fisherman! Pete I offered my Bridge over the Canal to build a coffer dam across the canal to save LRL but......it wouldn't save Methals Lake so we lose it all!

#8 sneakypete

sneakypete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

Unbelievable, just unbelievable..Is that your bridge...I drove in to it last saturday

#9 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

Yes It is my bridge Pete I own a lot of land on the north side all the way to Birch Island. You know that when you go to Methals Lake you follow the old brook channel, well if they built the coffer dam in the canal the level in Methals Lake would go down to the level of the old brook and that would be as far as it would go. Methals would be safe and LRL would be safe and the only problem would be the headpond. No imput from the affected shareholders just full steam ahead and the unwashed go to the back of the bus!
I cancelled my guiding yet again and so much for rural economy1 I'M GOING TO LABRADOR!!

#10 sneakypete

sneakypete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

methals would drop about 5 ft...Perry all that would be to simple, but when engineers, biologists etc are involved...well you know the rest...hopefully see you on the water this summer

#11 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

Pete it amazes me that the Gov adjencies who are working for us do not require local knowledge and imput before rubber stamping Power Corp applications. The difference between pro-active and reactive is lost. This is not to say the work is not necssay but imput from shareholders could be benifical to all concerned! My ticket to Goose bay is booked!

#12 rpen

rpen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

I'm betting it will be the same cluster .... all over again! When are you headed up Perry?

#13 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

My friend from Labrador City good to here from you! I'm heading for Flowers River July 3th staying for awhile business and pleasure. Comeing home for a few days and back to MInipi.Salmon and trout not hard to take. Want to hook up! no pun intended!

#14 Liv

Liv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAmherst N.S.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

Okay Thanks for that Nearnuff. We weren't going to fish Methals just set up our camps for the week-end at the dam and fish the big lake. Last June on our annual boys week-end we had to set up camp at the lower dam by the canal cos the gate was locked. That's why I was inquiring if it's open. If it's not we'll have to park at parking lot at the boat landing and boat our gear up. Thanks ...Liv

#15 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:21 AM

Why not access BRL at the top end where the fishing is best, Good to hear from you Liv.

#16 basindawg

basindawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationCanning NS

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

So, our gov't strikes again, holy cripes it'll likley be the same mess all over again. Guess I can scrap any plans for trips to LRL and Methals. Effin dummies.

#17 Liv

Liv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAmherst N.S.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

Perry, I'm not sure of where on the lake you are referring to. As actually we all do not live in the valley and basically only know the entrance at the hatchery end.
And as there is about a dozen+ in our group. we need a place to set up camp and back our boats in Friday to ...Liv

#18 rpen

rpen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

I think I have a few days open from July 8th to the 14th if that works? I was thinking the Hawke, Pinware and Forteau for that week, if that doesn't work I may be able to sneak off a day here and there for a jet boat trip up a couple rivers around here :-) Got a bottle of Glenmorangie here waiting for a reason to get opened!

#19 Liv

Liv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAmherst N.S.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

Nearnuff, I'm asking this again because we are planning on going down there next weekend. And I have to let all know where to go as we're coming to the valley from different places. Thanks

[I'm not sure of where the top end of BRL lake you are referring to. We only know the entrance at the hatchery end.
And as there is about a dozen+ in our group. we need a place to unload and go set up basecamp on Friday

If Perry is away and doesn't respond, maybe somebody else can answer my inquiry, it would be greatfully appreciated
... Liv .. C.P.R

{ Catch Photograph & Release }

#20 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

Liv. Just do as you always do as your group will be comfortable going to the same place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users