Brown Trout And Big Sea Trout Video - Page 2 - Trout Fishing - Nova Scotia Fishing

Photo

Brown Trout And Big Sea Trout Video

brown trout sea trout brook trout spring trout fishing

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 trout_manmitch

trout_manmitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

I just want one for wading, canoeing, and decending rivers mainly. but good to have in the boat case the wind kicks up or something. Iv had my eye on one for a bit now

#22 kyle9154

kyle9154

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationCole Harbour

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:12 AM

Manmitch,

Another great vid.

One thing...if I may. I notice in your video that it looks like at least one guy (in the bow position) wasn't wearing a PFD. The fella in the middle is wearing it, but incorrectly. Open lifejacket can be more of an impediment if you suddenly end up in the water. Nothing like a PFD up around your head while you are trying to swim. Useless if you are unconscious.

Don't want to be preachy, but hope in the future your videos will not only show great fishing. Proper boating safety would set a great example.

Truly enjoy your videos, though. Hope you take my comments in the right way.

Terran

Hey Terran, the guy in the bow is me, we only had two pfd's, but of all three guys i'm the only one that is a good swimmer, and had years of swimming classes when I was young. So it made sense to let them wear the two pfd's because I can easily swim to shore if need be.

Remember...Catch and Release and tight lines to you all. :D

#23 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:55 AM

Kyle,

Swimming ability is great, however it would be useless should you be knocked unconscious or cramp up when you hit the cold water.

Many strong swimmers have drowned in boating accidents. I know it sounds unlikely, to you, but it happens way too often.

Not the way you want to get your name in the papers. How would your parents deal with having to bury their son over something so stupid?

Take a look at this page: Coming Back Alive - http://comingbackali...ifejackets.html

Read the stories. Please, at least think about it.

Nobody ever goes out expecting the worst case scenario. Unless they've had the experience to know better.

Get yourself a life jacket or PFD and wear it.

Respectfully,

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#24 tom martin

tom martin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:28 AM

I've had a few man overboard situations on my sailboat over the years, neither time the victim was wearing a pfd. After the second time it's now a hard and fast rule. Absolutely no one is allowed on deck or in the cockpit of the boat unless they are WEARING a pfd. not even me ! Many people who come sailing with us think it's not necessary on a 32 foot boat to wear one, but after those incidents no way. Anyone who thinks "this can't happen to me"... think again. You're being an idiot. Sorry if I've insulted anyone but that's how it is.
I used to think that way myself until my son ( very experienced sailor and boater, and a sailing instructor friend of his) went overboard on two seperate occasions. These were not just a couple guys who didn't know anything about boating. Both were sailing instructors at the time and had been boating since childhood. Luckily no one was seriously hurt. but they were lessons learned!
A small boat... even worse!
Thats my opinion

#25 Spastic Caster

Spastic Caster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationCanada's Ocean Playground

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

Hi Rad,

I am a good swimmer. In fact I am a great swimmer. However, my wife and I tipped our canoe in cold water recently while trout fishing and because it was a beautiful warm day with no wind we were sitting on our pfd's. our canoe tipped suddenly and we were in a very serious situation. Had we not had our friends Girlfisher and Phil close to us in another canoe I am confident that I would have drowned. Last year i went into Kinsac on the weedy end of the lake and had i not been wearing a pfd the muck woukd have got me, i went straight down until the biuyancy stopped me and it was scary but i could breathe.

Now I ALWAYS wear my PDF on the water regardless of water temp. I like being alive as far as I know it's the only one I will have.

Take care out there.

James

Thinking of Buying or Selling Real Estate? I am an expert in negotiating real estate transactions for my clients. If you have any questions, call me any time at 902.449.2029 and I will get you on the right track.

#26 Stefan

Stefan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

So you are buying a pull cord? That's safety? First off, I am a good swimmer, and I did watch the video. But if i got thrown overboard and knocked out a pull cord pfd wouldn't serve me any better than the one under my seat. I don't do any crazy boating, when I'm tubing , the people regardless of age or ability wear a pfd. When I'm trolling around in the lake I don't think it's necessary to wear one.

Just curious astohow many people have been found dead with a pfd on?

most of the inflatable pull string PFD's that i've seen, and the one that i own and use, inflate automatically after being submerged. i tested it. the water pressure causes the co2 to get peirced without pulling it, and the design of the inflation chamber makes the whole thing wrap around your neck and keep your head out of the water. its unreal. Mine was a gift, but I think they are around 100$. Canadian Tire carries them.

trout manmitch, I highly reccommend one. I used to sit on my buddys life jacket and put it on when we turned the gas motor on... but now that i got this one, it's on before im in the boat/canoe. It fits on no problem over a jam packed fishing vest and heavy winter coat... and after a while you really don't notice it at all. fly fishing spin fishing its so light you can't tell its on. I'm not trying to promote Onyx on here, just letting you know that they do work, even if you get knocked out your head will be above water.
Keep Calm and Fish On

#27 Beatz

Beatz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

im wanting to get out sea trout fishing any goo spots near halifax or anywhere dont mind driving a while also any tips would help

#28 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

most of the inflatable pull string PFD's that i've seen, and the one that i own and use, inflate automatically after being submerged. i tested it. the water pressure causes the co2 to get peirced without pulling it, and the design of the inflation chamber makes the whole thing wrap around your neck and keep your head out of the water. its unreal. Mine was a gift, but I think they are around 100$. Canadian Tire carries them.

trout manmitch, I highly reccommend one. I used to sit on my buddys life jacket and put it on when we turned the gas motor on... but now that i got this one, it's on before im in the boat/canoe. It fits on no problem over a jam packed fishing vest and heavy winter coat... and after a while you really don't notice it at all. fly fishing spin fishing its so light you can't tell its on. I'm not trying to promote Onyx on here, just letting you know that they do work, even if you get knocked out your head will be above water.

I've been keen to get an inflatable PFD and your post answered a number of questions that I had about them. I'm confused about the manual vs. automatic inflation, though. Are you suggesting that manual PFDs will inflate automatically when submerged, or that automatic PFDs can also be inflated manually? I know my question is a bit confusing, so perhaps you could tell us which Onyx model you purchased. The Canadian Tire website has two models listed; one automatic and one manual.

Thanks,
Paul

I started reading a book about anti-gravity and I just couldn't put it down.

#29 Stefan

Stefan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

Paul, I have the automatic one. After looking on CT's website, they are closer to 150. Still, worth the $. I was lucky in that mine was a gift! To answer your questionu, the automatic pfd comes with a pull string so you can inflate it manually as well.
Keep Calm and Fish On

#30 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

Paul, I have the automatic one. After looking on CT's website, they are closer to 150. Still, worth the $. I was lucky in that mine was a gift! To answer your questionu, the automatic pfd comes with a pull string so you can inflate it manually as well.

Thanks for the info! I have a Salus fishing PFD that I really like for cooler weather. Lots of pocket space and good thermal protection for my core should I end up in the drink. However, it's less comfortable in hot weather. That's why I'd like an inflatable to complement it.

Thanks again,
Paul

I started reading a book about anti-gravity and I just couldn't put it down.

#31 NS basser

NS basser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationHalifax NS

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

it is stupid not to wear a pfd! im not saying i wear one all the time but i damn well should be! be smart guys! the main thing nobody wants to be in a lifetime is a statistic! happy fishing be safe everyone!

#32 Fred Dupey

Fred Dupey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:58 AM

I always wear a pdf now, a few close calls last year, I purchased a good quality fishing/kayak pdf. I don't even notice I have it on anymore.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brown trout, sea trout, brook trout, spring trout fishing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users