13 replies to this topic

#1 upstream fisherman

upstream fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationwestville nova scotia

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

Hi there, I was wondering if any body knew anything about bear brook,I was told there are rainbows, browns and speckles?

#2 upstream fisherman

upstream fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

there must be some one who has fished this little brook in westville?

#3 BigGuy

BigGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationTrenton, Pictou County, Nova Scotia

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

ive heard there are browns and brookies in there, no personal experience however
"There's more to fishing than catching fish"
Join me on Facebook or Youtube for lots of great pictures of my trips and catches, flies and fly tying.
Also plenty of tips, tricks and videos!! Join up and tell your friends.
Jesse Samson Outdoor Adventures - Facebook
Jesse Samson Outdoor Adventures - Youtube

#4 upstream fisherman

upstream fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

Thanks, I have also heard there was rainbows in it as well, I'm gonna find out tomorrow. Does it run into middle river?, I am having trouble bringing up maps as I am using a crappy blackberry lol.

#5 BigGuy

BigGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

something tells me it meets up with middle somewhere, I know you can catch white perch, rainbows, browns, brookies, brown bullhead, smallmouth bass, eel and the gaspereaux and smelts will go up it (middle river) so i guess you could catch darn near anything out of there
Join me on Facebook or Youtube for lots of great pictures of my trips and catches, flies and fly tying.

#6 Stradicman

Stradicman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationPictou Co.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

I grew up in Westville and used to fish this little brook all the time.caught lot's of little brook trout,mudsuckers and brown bullhead.It does flow into middle river and if you walk down the railway tracks at the bridge by happy harry's on the old highway there is a huge railway trestle(horne's bridge) and bear brook is there.I only fished it way upstream as there was a lagoon years ago where they used to dump the outdoor toilets into and it went into the brook and Westville's solid waste used to be connected to it at one time.It's supposed to be all cleaned up now but I wouldn't eat anything out of there.A member of the pictou co rivers told me that they stocked it with brown and rainbow trout a long time ago but I never fished it since then.If it was true they did stock it with brown's then they must be some huge by now.It used to be hard going as it has a mud bottom and lot's of alder's bordering it.In late summer it dries up to just a trickle.Give me a shout if you catch anything I have been wondering if there was any truth to the stocking rumor's.

#7 upstream fisherman

upstream fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

Hey guys, well I got out and fished it. I caught a few speckles, I fished the town area and soon I hope to go further down and search for some browns

#8 upstream fisherman

upstream fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

Also, were the Brown bull heads in bear brook? I have never seen or caught one before.

#9 Stradicman

Stradicman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationPictou Co.

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

Also, were the Brown bull heads in bear brook? I have never seen or caught one before.

I caught them up from the bridge leading into stellarton.They were very small,all the small pond's out that way are full of small brown bullhead,used to have a lot of fun when I was a kid fishing them.If you really want to catch a bullhead bad there is a pond off temperance street Westville,look on google earth and draw a line off Drummond road down temperance street at 0.21 miles and look off to the right-that pond is FULL of brown bullhead.

#10 BigGuy

BigGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

Hey Stradicman, I love catching bullheads, is there a path down to this pond, or a place to park? on google earth it looks more like a little swampy area then a pond.

#11 Stradicman

Stradicman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationPictou Co.

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

Hey Stradicman, I love catching bullheads, is there a path down to this pond, or a place to park? on google earth it looks more like a little swampy area then a pond.

No place to park now,when I used to fish it my buddy lived in the house there and we just walked in.Might be better to go to the stellarton industrial park and walk in.Might not be any good now as the last time I fished it was 1970 but it was full of brown bullhead and everyone used to catch and release them.We sailed many a wooden raft on that pond too!We used to fish Drummond pond but this was drained and filled in for a open pit mine and it used to be full of mudsucker and bullhead and it flowed into this pond on temperance street.

#12 BigGuy

BigGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

do you think its worth taking a trip down now a days? Also do you know any other spots that have a lot of bullhead in em? PM if u like

#13 Lguthro

Lguthro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

Hey guys, well I got out and fished it. I caught a few speckles, I fished the town area and soon I hope to go further down and search for some browns

Upstream, where you using fly? tight quarters through there?

#14 Stradicman

Stradicman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationPictou Co.

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

Be okay with a 7' 3wgt fly rod but it would be hard with anything bigger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users