• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:48 AM

From the Chronicle-Herald http://thechronicleh...1xwX6Ak.twitter:

One man dead, another taken to hospital after boating accident

UPDATED 11:09 p.m. Saturday
An 80-year-old man is dead after a boating accident in Lunenburg County on Saturday afternoon.
Emergency crews were called to Wentzells Lake shortly after 5:30 p.m. after a boat carrying two men capsized.
The two men, both from the local area, were fishing, police said.
One man fell overboard and the other man tried to help but both ended up in the water, Sgt. Alain LeBlanc, the provincial RCMP spokesman, said at about 6:15 p.m.
The men were taken ashore by other boaters, and paramedics rushed them to South Shore Regional Hospital in Bridgewater, RCMP said in a news release at about 9:15 p.m. Saturday.
But a little over an hour later, LeBlanc confirmed that the 80-year-old man, whose name was not released, had died. The condition of the other man, who is 63, was not immediately known.
Barking dogs had alerted neighbours to the mishap on the water.
A woman who lives in the area went outside her mother’s lakefront home to let her mom’s dogs out. The dogs soon started barking, she said, and she thought she heard screaming.
“I said, ‘That sounds like “Help!”’” said Carrie, who asked that her last name not be used.
She couldn’t hear over the noise of the dogs and couldn’t see through the trees down to the lake. But once the dogs were back inside the house, it was clear.
“I heard someone screaming like, ‘Help, help, help!’” Carrie said in an interview early Saturday night.
She saw a boat going in the direction one of the dogs had focused on, and her stepfather went down to the shore and saw two fishermen with another man in their boat.
“The guys got one guy on board and they were doing CPR instantly,” she said.
She called 911 at 5:39 p.m. and watched as the fishermen brought the man to shore at the Mic Mac Rod and Gun Club at 3085 Highway 10 in Wentzells Lake.
The fishermen then went back to get the other man, who was on top of the capsized boat, which Carrie described as a small aluminum boat about 3.6 metres long.
The boat was about 60 metres from shore toward Pinehurst and was actually in the LaHave River, she said, not Wentzells Lake.
Although it was quite windy and the water was rough, Carrie said lots of people were out fishing Saturday. She didn’t know if the men from the overturned boat were wearing life-jackets.
She said her family frequently goes fishing on the lake and an accident “is always a worry.”

I started reading a book about anti-gravity and I just couldn't put it down.

#2 basindawg

basindawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationCanning NS

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:01 AM

so damn sad. i feel for the families

#3 scottw

scottw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationBridgewater, NS

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:36 AM

Very sad, and condolences to the family.
To be honest, I wonder why there were so many people out on Wentzells Lake yesterday with the wind that was howling. I live on Sucker Lake, and it was literally churned up to a foam; waves and whitecaps. There were no boats out there that I could see. Mush-a-Mush looked like an ocean. I wouldn't have taken my 19' bass boat out.

#4 dave

dave

Admin

• Administrators
  • 551 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:43 AM

Yeah, just read about this. Very sad. I was on that same water in my yak just over a week ago. I too am kind of baffled as to what the attraction was to be out on rough water yesterday. Hopefully lifejackets were in use - it still amazes me to see how many people are on the water without them. Very unfortunate.
Site Founder, Web Developer/Entrepreneur, and work from home Dad.
Listen to The Maritime Outdoorsman Podcast Show
Learn more about me at www.DaveDoggett.com

#5 Gregory

Gregory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:48 AM

Sad but avoidable, lakes were ugly yesterday, and given their age lifejackets were unlikely

#6 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

I had just signed on to post the story and saw that Paul had already gotten it done.

Very sad story. Tragic outcome to what should have been an enjoyable days fishing.

Every year there seems to be at least one of these stories to post.

My heart goes out to the family.

In this story, we don't yet know whether the victim and survivor were wearing PFD's? Could have just been the cold water.

However, every year I'm out fishing, I see guys in boats that are not wearing a PFD. Many of them fishermen. I see them load them in the boat at the boat launch and yet they never put them on.

You mention it to them and they look at you like you are invading their space or out of your mind.

Accidents happen and circumstances can often lead to tragedy. The simple use of a PFD, being worn while on the water, can (greatly) reduce the odds of a simple accident becoming a tragedy.

Please...if you are on the water, wear your PFD. This is not the way to get your story in the paper.

A record fish makes for a much better story.

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#7 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

Sad but avoidable, lakes were ugly yesterday, and given their age lifejackets were unlikely

I feel for the familes of these guys,,bad decision to be on the water yesterday...

Gregory-- as for thier given age and not wearing lifjackets --well I am of that given age and I am the most stringent person you wiill ever meet when it comes to wearing life jackets..over the last couple of years I have seen more people of all ages give total disregard for water safety..age really has nothing to do with it..

#8 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts
  • LocationAnywhere that fish are and people are not

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

Sad for sure, however yesterday was bizarre. Even on the deadwaters it was rough. Common sense can go along ways.
I keep my head held high and smile, because there are people who will kill to see me fall.

#9 scottw

scottw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

From what I heard this evening, the MicMac Rod and Gun club was having their annual fishing derby on Saturday.
The deceased was Harris Turner; he was a local sawmill owner and businessman, and I think he was a long time member of the gun club as well.

#10 goodwrench

goodwrench

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationBlockhouse, Lunenburg County

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

Very sad news for sure. PFDs do save lives! I flipped my kayak a few years ago in April. If I wasn't wearing my PFD, I would not be here today. I remember, as soon as I flipped my kayak, saying to myself..." Be calm, you are wearing your PFD"...I believe having the PFD on, not only kept me afloat, but also kept my core temperature from getting too cold. More people should be wearing them and stop using them as seat cushions in their boat. Not saying that was the case here.

#11 scottw

scottw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

I wear a full life jacket even when fishing tournaments; never take it off. Just find one that's reasonably comfortable, and get used to it. After a while you don't even know it's on.

#12 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

Very sad news for sure. PFDs do save lives! I flipped my kayak a few years ago in April. If I wasn't wearing my PFD, I would not be here today. I remember, as soon as I flipped my kayak, saying to myself..." Be calm, you are wearing your PFD"...I believe having the PFD on, not only kept me afloat, but also kept my core temperature from getting too cold. More people should be wearing them and stop using them as seat cushions in their boat. Not saying that was the case here.

I just started Kayaking 3 years ago and love it ,,on kayak,#3,,I canoed all my life and I taught canoing to many many scouts over the years.I always get new paddlers to flip their boat in a controlled envoiriment so it is not such a shock when it happens for real,,I tried it with my new SIT kayak last summer and it taught me a lot.. I also jumped out of my Basshound boat to see if I could get back in it with out flipping it,,(I can )..as for PFD s not only should they always be worn but they should fit properly also.. I have several..incuding a floaterjacket that is really warm ,,and I have also found that a proper Kayak PFD is much more comfy in a Kayak the a regular one.. now if we could just get more people to wear them..

#13 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:07 AM

Another story, in today's paper, about a boating accident on Trout Lake on the Eastern shore. Thankfully, there were no fatalities, but again it's a story that could have turned to tragedy.

Man in woods awaits rescue
May 20, 2013 - 12:22pm By FRANCES WILLICK Staff Reporter

Capsized boaters made it ashore

Police called in a Cormorant helicopter to help with a rescue operation in the woods near Trout Lake on the Eastern Shore on Monday.

Police say two men were boating on the lake, located inland between Tangier and Lake Charlotte, when the vessel capsized at about 6:30 p.m. on Sunday. The boaters swam to shore, but due to a pre-existing medical condition, one of them was unable to walk out of the woods.

His friend retrieved some blankets from a nearby camp to keep the man warm and left the area to find help.

At about 8 a.m., he encountered another man on a trail and used his cellphone to alert police.

RCMP, paramedics and members of the ATV club Marine Riders located the 51-year-old man who had been left behind. Due to the remoteness of the area and the dense brush surrounding the lake, a helicopter belonging to the Natural Resources Department was dispatched to rescue him

These stories are a reminder for anyone out in remote areas to be prepared. Accidents can and do happen. Have a plan ready just in case.

Cell phone in waterproof bag. SPOT Emergency Transponder. Dry bag with emergency kit and supplies. A foil emergency blanket (you can get em cheap). Signaling device. Whatever you may need to survive. Just in case.

Hopefully, you'll never need it, but better to have it than not.

Stay safe.

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#14 newt

newt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Locationmiddle musq

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

the news paper has it wrong it is trout lake just east of porterslake

#15 csft

csft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

the news paper has it wrong it is trout lake just east of porterslake

newt i assure you there is more than 1 Trout Lake in this province and there is indeed a Trout Lake between Tangier & Lake Charlotte .... it sits just to the east of Ship Harbour Long Lake

Chasing Silver Fly & Tackle Shop, Truro, NS

https://www.facebook...315855245116155

#16 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

newt i assure you there is more than 1 Trout Lake in this province and there is indeed a Trout Lake between Tangier & Lake Charlotte .... it sits just to the east of Ship Harbour Long Lake

Yup. At least eight Trout Lake's that I know of in Nova Scotia. In fact, there is another one just down the road from the one you mention, in East Ship Harbour. If I'm not mistaken.

Terran

#17 newt

newt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Locationmiddle musq

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

i know where that one is i go there all the time, its in the backyard. i know the guy that got in trouble it was the one east of porterslake. like was said there is lots of trout lakes.

#18 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

Yet another sad story.

Boater found dead in Bay of Fundy

September 1, 2013 - 11:32am By EVA HOARE Staff Reporter

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1151526-boater-found-dead-in-bay-of-fundy

A 55-year-old man is dead after an apparent boating accident in the Bay of Fundy.

Annapolis County RCMP are investigating the death of the man, who is not being identified.

Sgt. Alain LeBlanc, spokesman for the Mounties, said the victim, who is from the Parkers Cove area, was found after a three-and-a-half-hour search in the bay.

His body was discovered near his overturned boat, believed to be a four-metre aluminum vessel, LeBlanc said in an interview Sunday afternoon. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said the man had been having trouble with the motor on the boat before departing.

LeBlanc said the man was wearing a life-jacket. An autopsy was expected to be performed to determine the cause of death, he said.

Police were notified about the missing boater at 8 p.m. Saturday in Parkers Cove, near Annapolis Royal. The Joint Rescue Coordination Centre responded and a Coast Guard ship left for the scene from Saint John, N.B.

A 12 foot aluminum seems a little small for open water on the Bay of Fundy.

This is also a reminder to make sure your equipment is in order and that you have proper safety gear and a back-up plan, in case of troubles.

It's hard to say what exactly may have happened in this particular case. Very sad story.

Terran

#19 domhnalldubh

domhnalldubh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBedford South

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

Horrible. Condolences to their families.

#20 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:52 AM

Once again, sad news from the angling community.

A missing salmon fisherman's body has been found on the Margaree River.

Body of missing Cape Breton fisherman found in Margaree River

Posted by News × September 30, 2013 at 10:15 pm

http://talkhalifax.com/body-of-missing-cape-breton-fisherman-found-in-margaree-river/

Police say the body of a missing Cape Breton fisherman was located on Monday night.

The RCMP received a report of the missing 70-year-old just before 8 p.m., and a short time later, his body was found in the Margaree River near Portree.

Police say the man was last seen fishing at 3:30 p.m. on Monday.

Local firefighters and a ground search and rescue team joined police in the search for the 70-year-old.

Foul play isn’t suspected and the victim’s name hasn’t been released.

Condolences to family, friends and loved ones.

Be careful out there friends.

Terran

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users