Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

Posted Image

Stopped by Bissett Lake, in Dartmouth, this morning. Sun had broken through and the lake was beautiful.

There were fish jumping and an Osprey was working the far end of the lake.

The lake is stocked and has a decent boat launch. It can be accessed off Colby Drive in Cole Harbour and there is a decent parking lot and path.

Keep it in mind.

Terran

Posted Image
Boat lauch at Bissett Lake.

Posted Image

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#2 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

Gheesssh Terran.. You got to stop telling everyone about my fishing spots :) ..I fish there alot also..the owner of the 1st house on the right side there is a good friend and I sometimes leave my boat there.

Lots of good size bass and CPs,, as for trout they don t stay in the lake very long but I have seen lots caught in the 2 streams that run out of the lake,

As for the boat launch there , it is fairley new and not great for a larger boat as it is very shallow there and the design is wrong as it short and steep..also it can be soft there to.. the old launch was where the big rocks are now ,,worked better

Also if you use a boat watch for rocks in the south end of the lake.

Great small lake for a canoe or kayak,,,
Beware of the ducks there ,, a guy feeds them out of a kayak every morning and they will jump right on your kayak,, :)

#3 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

4Fitz,

Sorry about that. Didn't mean to give away the "secret".

It's too bad about the new launch. The old one was kind of a better set-up in that you could also drive around the "loop" there to launch and pull out. Although I did find the old one rather shallow when the water got down.

A friend of mine caught a really decent trout out of there last fall. But except for the odd boat or Yakker, you hardly see anyone fish it. Have you ever fished it from the pumping station at the other end?

Thanks for the info.

And sorry about giving away your spot. ;)

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#4 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

Here is a little more info on the lake.

Google Maps: http://maps.google.c...t Lake&t=h&z=14

Here is one of the crudely drawn contour maps from Inland Fisheries: http://www.gov.ns.ca...3-H-bissett.pdf

If you want to check out the inventory of free contour maps from Inland Fisheries goto: http://www.gov.ns.ca.../lakeinventory/

Hope this helps.

Terran

#5 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

I went there tonight to check out the boat launch..still not any better then last year,,ok if you have a 4x4 but launching with my car is not great..I usually drop the boat at the top of the launch and drag it to the water.. there were 2 boats there tonight,, and a million bugs
:)

#6 kyle9154

kyle9154

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationCole Harbour

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:17 AM

Gheesssh Terran.. You got to stop telling everyone about my fishing spots :) ..I fish there alot also..the owner of the 1st house on the right side there is a good friend and I sometimes leave my boat there.

Lots of good size bass and CPs,, as for trout they don t stay in the lake very long but I have seen lots caught in the 2 streams that run out of the lake,

As for the boat launch there , it is fairley new and not great for a larger boat as it is very shallow there and the design is wrong as it short and steep..also it can be soft there to.. the old launch was where the big rocks are now ,,worked better

Also if you use a boat watch for rocks in the south end of the lake.

Great small lake for a canoe or kayak,,,
Beware of the ducks there ,, a guy feeds them out of a kayak every morning and they will jump right on your kayak,, :)

That guy that feeds the ducks is my dad, lol.

Remember...Catch and Release and tight lines to you all. :D

#7 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:20 AM

4Fitz,

The launch is certainly steep. They could take a couple scoops out with a backhoe and reduce the grade. Obviously, the folks who built it have never actually launched a boat before. Someone should call the City and make a suggestion. What could it hurt?

By the way, I've heard guy's talk about hooking White Perch in Bissett. Never seen them myself. Any experience with Whites in Bissett? I know they come up into Morris; so it is plausable.

Also, I've seen the Osprey take what looked like Gaspereau out of the Lake. Seen any of these in your trips there?

Terran

#8 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

4Fitz,

The launch is certainly steep. They could take a couple scoops out with a backhoe and reduce the grade. Obviously, the folks who built it have never actually launched a boat before. Someone should call the City and make a suggestion. What could it hurt?

By the way, I've heard guy's talk about hooking White Perch in Bissett. Never seen them myself. Any experience with Whites in Bissett? I know they come up into Morris; so it is plausable.

Also, I've seen the Osprey take what looked like Gaspereau out of the Lake. Seen any of these in your trips there?

Terran

I have never seen White Perch there but I have seen Gaspereau ,,I paddled my kayak thru a school of them last year..

Some big bass in there ,,I saw a 21 in caught there last fall,, also pretty good fishing right by the boat launch if you have a waders..lots of picks there to..
I just may have to place a call to have the boat launch fixed ,,I will have to find a contact #

I may try there on the weeknd,, a lot calmer in the wind than Morris...If anyone seems me in my little boat say Hi :)

#9 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

I have never seen White Perch there but I have seen Gaspereau ,,I paddled my kayak thru a school of them last year..

Some big bass in there ,,I saw a 21 in caught there last fall,, also pretty good fishing right by the boat launch if you have a waders..lots of picks there to..
I just may have to place a call to have the boat launch fixed ,,I will have to find a contact #

I may try there on the weeknd,, a lot calmer in the wind than Morris...If anyone seems me in my little boat say Hi :)

4Fitz,

You could try calling the HRM's new #311. Here is a link to their contact page: http://www.halifax.ca/311/

Certainly couldn't hurt to call and let Recreation know about the launch. I'm sure they are not aware of the problem with it's useage. Should be a fairly easy fix. Not a major expense.

What day you going to be there on the weekend? I might try to get down and say "Hi". Throw rocks at you at the very least! :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Tight lines and safe boating,

Terran

#10 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

Thanks I will give 311 a try.. not sure when I will got out on the weekend got lots of yard work to do.. heading to the UK next week for vacation so got to do what the boss says ;) if I am not at Bisset I will be at Morris ;)

#11 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

UK...bloody hell. The land of pay to fish.

If I'm up to it I might come looking for you. (I'll pack the wrist rocket :P :D ) Wouldn't mind checking out your boat set-up.

If I don't find you, have a great weekend and catch some "lunkers".

Cheers, (UK reference ;) )

Terran

#12 Mick

Mick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

This is my go-to lake when the wife sleeps in ! Last year, on my last trip there i had a large trout swim under the yak just off the launch. It had to be a stocked breeder that had ran it's course.. an easy 18"+ bow. needless to say it didn't like what i tossed at it... Ed, you could not ask for a better land owner right next to a boat launch! Ted if im not mistaken, has made me late returning home befor the wife wakes more than once.

Kyle, i dont think your father likes me too much. As my truck is littered with decoy brand decal's, camo, and everything else that points to the fact i love my waterfowl hunting. I assured him, i dont like the taste of city ducks as they taste too much like bread. He does how ever have an impressive family of resident ducks, When they see that red yak hit the water the come from all sides of the lake. It does make it tricky for fisherman, with multiple rods hanging from the yak, you have to leave the hook's off until the ducks move on. Well i do anyways...

Enjoy your euro trip Ed !!

#13 SeventhWave

SeventhWave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

Bisset lake is great. Got my first bass of the year there and it was 18", not to mention a 17" pickerel on March 31st. Last year in one day also landed two big white perch, a bass, and a pickerel. One should just take note that the lake is wide open and the waters are often harsh when there is any amount of wind.

#14 kyle9154

kyle9154

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationCole Harbour

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

THERE IS WHITE PERCH IN BISSET, SOME BIGGGGGG ONES TOO. I caught a 2lb white perch out of there last year and brought it back, got two nice size fillets out of it, fed my parents.

Remember...Catch and Release and tight lines to you all. :D

#15 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

THERE IS WHITE PERCH IN BISSET, SOME BIGGGGGG ONES TOO. I caught a 2lb white perch out of there last year and brought it back, got two nice size fillets out of it, fed my parents.

Thanks Kyle. That was what I had been told.

Whites are probably one of the best fish I've eaten. Guess I'll have to frequent Bissett a liitle more often.

Terran

#16 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

I may try to launch the little boat there sunday am.. not to early :) ..I am not sure they have stocked it with trout yet,,usually its is done the week before the free fishing weekend..hope the wind stays clam,, lakes were flat this morning. if I ever catch a white perch there I will have to try it,, never ate those before :)

#17 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

Use the three "F's" approach to Whites...fillet, flour and fry. You'll be addicted.

Terran

#18 Lguthro

Lguthro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:21 PM

http://www.novascoti...aspx?id=T14-232

Good News

#19 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

I guess all my badger in the last year worked :) :) :)

I cannot figure out exactly what is being being done there ,, need to find the actually tender description.. be nice to know the dates also as I plan to hold a tournament there in June

#20 SeventhWave

SeventhWave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:09 PM

Bissett Lake needs to stay forgotten for a while longer IMO.  Bass are few and far between in that lake.  Once the gasperau get in there you'll be skunked every time unless your fishing with worms off the bottom like the people with their buckets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users