#1 raven4ns

raven4ns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:08 AM

What is the water level like in the Stewiacke River now? I was thinking about heading up that way but don't want to waste a trip if it is high and fast. Has anyone fished any of the tribs flowing into it? Thank you.

Tim

All the best

Tim

The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down....but how many times he gets back up

https://www.flickr.c...s/44673530@N04/

#2 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:23 AM

Raven4ns,

Haven't been up myself, but my Buddy was up to the Nine mile at the Shubie, yesterday and he was shocked at how "low" the water actually was there. He figured it was as low as it had been the beginning of June, last year. He personally found it quite unfishable; due to high numbers of Shad and low water. Too much chance of foul hooking them in those conditions.

I think Marquisfly has a place on the Stewiacke (think it's him?). Maybe he can give you some first hand reports.

Cheers,

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#3 salmon are forever!

salmon are forever!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationTruro & tatamagouche. N.S.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

Yep he lives on stewiacke park so he should now what the water level is i think when the upper stewiacke portion of the river opens i think it will be good with some of this rain comin should be good sat sunday if not muddy
what a tourist terms a plague of insects a fly-fisher calls a great hatch!

http://users.eastlin...ryfly/hatch.htm

http://www.facebook....in.skinner.1671

#4 salmon are forever!

salmon are forever!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

Im goin for shad friday im happy happy happy!!!!!!! Im goin to birch hill! Cant wait got the first shad of the season the other day at nine mile around 24 inches a nice fat female but i cant wait to hook some on a river im more comfortable on

#5 raven4ns

raven4ns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the update.

Tim

All the best

Tim

The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down....but how many times he gets back up

https://www.flickr.c...s/44673530@N04/

#6 EvilSquish

EvilSquish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

Today the water was very high and very muddy... BUT... fish were caught. You needed a bit more patience today though lol
Here fishy fishy fishy!

#7 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

Today the water was very high and very muddy... BUT... fish were caught. You needed a bit more patience today though lol

Squish,

Just Shad being caught or were there some Stripers around too? Any Browns hooked up? :huh:

Man, ya gotta give me some more info! Till I can get out, I'm relying on you guys for my fishing season. :(

Tight Lines,

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#8 marquisfly

marquisfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

I just checked the water level and it is high and dirty. Sorry guys for the late reply just returned from a trip to Cuba and yes it included fishing.

#9 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

I just checked the water level and it is high and dirty. Sorry guys for the late reply just returned from a trip to Cuba and yes it included fishing.

Trip...Cuba...fishing ? :blink: :huh: Sorry? Yeah right! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wondered where ya'd got too? Welcome back Marquisfly.

Looking forward to some Stewie news soon.

Terran

#10 marquisfly

marquisfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

I will keep an update now on the river.

#11 EvilSquish

EvilSquish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:55 AM

Squish,

Just Shad being caught or were there some Stripers around too? Any Browns hooked up? :huh:

Man, ya gotta give me some more info! Till I can get out, I'm relying on you guys for my fishing season. :(

Tight Lines,

Terran

haha sorry man, didn't mean to leave ya hanging :P Only saw shad today, but I think they were eating their spinach.... what fights! The fellas hooked were diving and jumping and VERY strong and healthy... real blast... I did, however, hook a 16" striper last week when I was out and that was a real surprise lol
Here fishy fishy fishy!

#12 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:36 AM

Thanks Brother. Appreciate the news. This being sick and not fishing really sucks. :(

Yeah, I imagine, with a bit of current from the higher water, the Shaddies were extra scrappy. I absolutely love the Stewie. Gonna try to get out (soon) if it kills me. :huh: :blink: Well...maybe if it makes me worse.

Thanks for the update Squish. Keep us informed.

Tight Lines,

Terran

#13 EvilSquish

EvilSquish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

Thanks Brother. Appreciate the news. This being sick and not fishing really sucks. :(

Yeah, I imagine, with a bit of current from the higher water, the Shaddies were extra scrappy. I absolutely love the Stewie. Gonna try to get out (soon) if it kills me. :huh: :blink: Well...maybe if it makes me worse.

Thanks for the update Squish. Keep us informed.

Tight Lines,

Terran

Hope to hit it again on Friday with a few buds... get better soon, the fishing won't last forever :P
Here fishy fishy fishy!

#14 marquisfly

marquisfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

Water is dropping pretty quick but I expect it won't last for long with another blast of rain coming. If anyone is up this way fishing feel free to drop in and say hello. It's the only farm on the river park road. Watch for the bear on the front veranda holding the salmon.

#15 salmon are forever!

salmon are forever!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

I went out on opening day after school with my friend jauger we had good luck! I hooked 13 had 2 more bites and landed 10 my friend got 6 and hooked 8 we had a great time!

Then on the 11th jauger went out by himself and got 4 and hooked 5

Then on the 12th i went out and hooked 6 but for some reason lost every one!

Then yesterday i decided to go take a look at birch hill again and it was muddy and right at the top of the bank! Hopefully next weekend or earlyer it will be back to normal!!

#16 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

Justin,

Sounds like you've been having a decent go at it. One of my fave rivers. Don't be surprised to hook a Brown or two on the dart or fly at Birch Hill. Always a pleasant surprise.

Tight lines,

Terran

#17 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

Water is dropping pretty quick but I expect it won't last for long with another blast of rain coming. If anyone is up this way fishing feel free to drop in and say hello. It's the only farm on the river park road. Watch for the bear on the front veranda holding the salmon.

Marquisfly,

Might just take you up on your offer to drop in. My Buddy's been threatening to drag my sickly a$$ up your way whether I'm up to it or not.

See...you gotta be careful what ya offer on here! ;) :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Terran

#18 newt

newt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Locationmiddle musq

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

i may drop in and interduce my self the next time im up that way too.

#19 marquisfly

marquisfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

Damn! I better run and hide......Anytime you guys are up this way feel free to drop by :D I hear of some nice stripers being hooked in the evening, gonna try and give it a cast tomorrow after work. Water is still high.

#20 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

Damn! I better run and hide......Anytime you guys are up this way feel free to drop by :D I hear of some nice stripers being hooked in the evening, gonna try and give it a cast tomorrow after work. Water is still high.

Yup...gotta be careful what ya wish fer. ;) :lol: :lol: Keep makin offers like that and you'll be needin a bunkhouse. :o :lol:

How discoloured is the water now? Muddy or just dark? Clearing?

Thanks for the info and the hospitality.

Terran

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users