River Philip, The Unfair Fishery - Page 3 - Rivers & Streams - Nova Scotia Fishing

Photo

River Philip, The Unfair Fishery

river philip regulations lure

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
106 replies to this topic

Poll: River Philip, The unfair fishery (61 member(s) have cast votes)

Who thinks it's fair that fly fisherman get to have free reign over river philip while lure / bait fisherman have to suffer?

1. Not me, I only lure / bait fish (6 votes [9.84%])

Percentage of vote: 9.84%

2. Not me, I prefer lure / bait fishing but will fly fish if it's the only option (10 votes [16.39%])

Percentage of vote: 16.39%

3. Me (45 votes [73.77%])

Percentage of vote: 73.77%

Vote

#41 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

you have a way with words....... a point for you...direct but respectful
please practice a sustainable harvest

#42 Robbie Hiltz

Robbie Hiltz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • LocationThe Valley

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

you said it all Camel
The best things in life aren't things

#43 Snoop

Snoop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

Well, let me tell you something if i had a kid. I would take him to whatever hole he wanted to fish illegal or not, it's not fair that i got to grow up and catch these fish and the new generation of fisherman do not, that is unless they choose to fly fish, completely retarded idea. It's not fair that some fisherman get to experience this fishery while other have to suffer. It's great that so many of you fly fish, but the fact is salmon still bite your flies, hell in fall you have to fish them on fly if you get a salmon liscence. So great job people on conserving the salmon for fly fisherman to catch and hurt all year long. I'm so proud of this community right now.
PS.... IF YOU REALLY WANT TO CONSERVE SALMON STOP FISHING IT ALL TOGETHER, DO NOT BE BIAS TO CERTAIN FISHERMAN, THANK YOU, COME AGAIN ! That i have no problem with. But fly fisherman hurt and kill salmon too, and people can say whatever they like but it's a fact.

#44 Snoop

Snoop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

Go fish Southhampton/Maccan. That way you won't have to risk hooking a salmon and killing it. I've caught more 20" fish in southampton than I have in the Phillip,

#45 Snoop

Snoop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

I have been there 10 times with zero fish on record, idk if it's bad luck or what. I use the same bait / lures i use at river philip, and nothing. So not sure if it's the holes i'm fishing or the lures i'm using but i have had terrible luck in southhampton.

#46 Snoop

Snoop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

Snoop,seeing as you only made one complaint and never replied to anyone that replies to youy post,this is just for you.Why not complain about the southampton river?Can't fish there till may 15.By the time River Phillip opens up,May 15, the salmon will be gone and you'll have free reign on the trout.The best part of the river is open April 1st for your 20+ inch browns.The upper river will out fish the lower river any day of the week for the big browns.You just gotta knnow where to go.

As for there being no other rivers to catch your 20+ inch trout I'm guessin you don't get around to much.Wallace river produces more trout than the River Phillip with quite a few 20+inchers.Then theres the Waugh River which has some great brown trout.Southampton River(when it opens) has some fantastic brown trout and great sea trout runs.

I've talked to quite a few fellas about the regs on the River Phillip and some don't like them some do.The ones that don't,they go fish another river till the Phillip is open.The ones that really complain also state that they love hookin salmon on a lure in the spring.Which is what I think most are gripping about.

I think it's great what they,ve done on the Phillip,both regs and river work.In a few more years that river is gonna be dynomite for troutin anytime of the season on every part of the river.Hopfully it'll become the number one salmon river in the province,which in my opinion isn't that far off right now.

here i am replying, so you want to know why i don't fish there after may 15th, every hole i fish is about 2 feet deep at that time of year, last year i went there on may 15th and after trudging for 15 minutes to the hole it was completely unfishable. By that time of year I'm into smallies and other fish species. I only do river fishing till lake fishing gets good.

#47 Robbie Hiltz

Robbie Hiltz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • LocationThe Valley

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

Piss poor example Snoop. If you take a kid fishing first off follow the rules and lead by example. BTW its not bad luck its Karma my friend.
The best things in life aren't things

#48 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

Piss poor example Snoop. If you take a kid fishing first off follow the rules and lead by exampke

These are the people we want to keep off the river in the first place. They have no respect and can not even see what they are doing wrong . Apparently his kid is not challenged either or he would know how to choose words a little bit more respectful .

#49 csft

csft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

Piss poor example Snoop. If you take a kid fishing first off follow the rules and lead by example. BTW its not bad luck its Karma my friend.

Chasing Silver Fly & Tackle Shop, Truro, NS

https://www.facebook...315855245116155

#50 salmonfreak

salmonfreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

Snoop Inland fisheries did a survey 5 years ago and found 90% of the anglers catch on the RP and probably other NH shore rivers to be slink salmon. There are trout but the vast majority of caught fish are salmon. Please read the research regarding catch and release before you make an opinion. We have angled slink cut holes in them implanted sonic transmitters and they have all survived based on the data I have seen. Fly angling and artificial lures do not appear to be a problem.

There is a problem on the NH shore rivers caused by bait anglers. The salmon have been observed swallowing the bait and hooks significantly reducing survival probability. A couple years ago I witnessed a spin angler think he hooked a salmon when actually his worm and hook got caught around a fishing line with weights and siwels that was lodged in the salmon from a previous angler who must have lost or broken the salmon off. There are many studies across different species which show significantly increased mortality in released fish angled with bait. In striped bass the survival from bait angled fish was about 30-40% higher then artificial lure angled fish.

If altering the rules reduces the amount of harmful angling and anglers this is good for the fish. The West River Antigonish is closed completely until May 15th and the trout fishery is probably the best on the NH Shore. Preventing retention angling during a vulnerable period of their lifecycle helps them survive, grow, and come back bigger and usually in greater abundance. Holding onto past practices which we now know are harmful is not a good management idea. If fishermen did some homework they may realize why rule changes come into play and they will also realize that there are alot more which should be implemented which would help the fish populations and in turn the anglers.

Slink trout are extremely vulnerable They are easy to catch and catch multiple times if the first person released them. On the West River Sheet Harbor approximately 15 trout were caught implanted with sonic trackers and released. At least 2 of those fish that we know of were recaught by anglers within a few weeks. More may have been caught and not reported. This leads people to have a false impression of the population size. People catch slink trout and see lots of trout jumping for mayflies but they don't realize that their conclusions about presumed population size are often greatly exaggerated.

#51 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

Great posts Robbie and striperguide

please practice a sustainable harvest

#52 camel

camel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

Well, let me tell you something if i had a kid. I would take him to whatever hole he wanted to fish illegal or not, it's not fair that i got to grow up and catch these fish and the new generation of fisherman do not, that is unless they choose to fly fish, completely retarded idea. It's not fair that some fisherman get to experience this fishery while other have to suffer. It's great that so many of you fly fish, but the fact is salmon still bite your flies, hell in fall you have to fish them on fly if you get a salmon liscence. So great job people on conserving the salmon for fly fisherman to catch and hurt all year long. I'm so proud of this community right now.
PS.... IF YOU REALLY WANT TO CONSERVE SALMON STOP FISHING IT ALL TOGETHER, DO NOT BE BIAS TO CERTAIN FISHERMAN, THANK YOU, COME AGAIN ! That i have no problem with. But fly fisherman hurt and kill salmon too, and people can say whatever they like but it's a fact.

I have been there 10 times with zero fish on record, idk if it's bad luck or what. I use the same bait / lures i use at river philip, and nothing. So not sure if it's the holes i'm fishing or the lures i'm using but i have had terrible luck in southhampton.

here i am replying, so you want to know why i don't fish there after may 15th, every hole i fish is about 2 feet deep at that time of year, last year i went there on may 15th and after trudging for 15 minutes to the hole it was completely unfishable. By that time of year I'm into smallies and other fish species. I only do river fishing till lake fishing gets good.

Well Mr.Snoop,first post-What Robbie Hiltz said x10!!!Also there are far better places to take a kid fishing to catch multiple fish to keep their interest.They quickly loose interest after sitting a couple hours with no bites,which is what happens ALOT on the RP!!!!

second post also what he said although I doub't it's karma.It's a different river and has to be fished a bit different.Southampton has excellant fishing,you just gotta know how to fish it.Oh fly fishing works awesome for trout on that river as well.Rainy days are best fishing on that river as well.

last post,well if you don't fish the river after the 15 you miss some great trout action!!!!Your loss and if you walked 15 mins to an unfishable hole I call BS on that!!!!Must have been fishing the top half eh!!!

Good luck on yer 20 inchers!!!Don't give up they're up there!!!!

#53 c-bass

c-bass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Locationspringhill

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

I from spring hill and grew up on both rivers and fish with both bait and fly and I one 100 present agree with the may 15 law, there a purposed change for 2014 sayin no trout kept under 14 inch's and I would vote a big yes for this too in my opinion sea trout populations have drastically dropped in the last few years some thing should b done to preserve for future generations, and if people don't agree spend some time on the river and educate your self

#54 Lunker

Lunker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Locationtruro

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

The reason these new laws, regulations are in effect now, because people like you did a piss poor job conserving these fish in the past. Not your fault ? Due diligence my friend. If you are mad your child, or self for that matter can no longer fish the way; these places you used to , you have no-one to be mad at other than yourself. This applies to more than just salmon. There are beautiful sea trout in the river phillip

Poor fishing techniques, over fished, poor enforcement in the past has led to the "crisis" we are in now. Your upset because these rules impact the way you fish, or where you fish , but ignorance will only make this hole deeper, and more regulations shall ensue .

Perhaps think about your grandchilden, Your child would catch a few illegal, nice sized fish , now what about when he/she has childen ?
THERE WOULD BE NO FISH LEFT.

THANK YOU COME AGAIN

#55 BassNBrownsNinja

BassNBrownsNinja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

geeze harsh, i agree but I think greater factors have also been takin hold, Deforestation tossin silt in the rivers, Hotter summers making it easier for predetors to catch fish and also making it harder for the fish themselves to reproduce. The chemicals thats are increasingly building every year. Theres alot to factor in and people need to step up not only in the fishery feilds but also in other feilds which directly impact fishing. Many river do need a no keep law, but things arnt goin to get any better dude.

#56 SalmoSolar

SalmoSolar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:17 AM

the ignorance being spoken in this thread is mind blowing. educate yourselves before you try to speak about things you obviously know nothing about.
this has nothing to do with salmon fisherman having more money or regulations being unfair. this does have EVERYTHING to do with the fact that the state of the fisheries in this province have been ignored for far far too long, and we are now starting to catch up(very slowly) to where we shoulda been 20 years ago. im so sick of fisherman talking about their rights to go kill fish. that might of been fine and dandy in the past but where has that mentality gotten us?
i recently moved home after 6 years out west and the state of the fisheries and total lack of proper regulations here is sadening. i understand we as a province might not have the funds to enforce them but we could atleast put them in place. i dont think ANY river that has ANY salmon running in it should allow spin or bait fishing EVER. it should be closed to spin fishing all year, especially in the spring. im also against there still being ANY tags with a salmon license. we need no kill period.
To the folks out there who are against this kinda thing, i say you had your chance and you blew it, BIGTIME, go buy your fish from the store or go catch and kill some from a stocked lake. but please leave the few wild fish trout/salmon ALONE. i highly doubt the rest of us are gonna stand by and allow others to destroy something we care so deeply about. atleast i know i wont

#57 jsawler

jsawler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Locationforrest home

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

Just for arguments sake, could you not just tie a fly onto a spinning rod or any rod, add some weight and fish? a fly rod is just a delivery method is it not? so at the end of the day if you have a fly on the end of your line it would be fly fishing.

that said, if the river is loaded with salmon I wouldn't bother even trying for trout, the odds would favor hooking a salmon.

I have no dog in this fight;just an old family method of fishing that might help,my family has been doing this with great success longer than I've been alive. tie your fly on your spinning rod, then add a bobber of varying size for various casting distances, about 18 inches above the fly. it works great, has zero ill effects.works the same as having to use a floating fly line. and the only inconvience to a spin angler; is you have to clear your tackle to this type of fishing only. YOU CAN NOT CARRY ANYTHING OF WEIGHT with you.only flies and bobbers. seems easy enough doesn't it?again, I've got no dog in this fight, just a suggestion.......

#58 Fishalotasaurus

Fishalotasaurus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationBeaverbank/Lwr Sackville

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

the ignorance being spoken in this thread is mind blowing. educate yourselves before you try to speak about things you obviously know nothing about.
this has nothing to do with salmon fisherman having more money or regulations being unfair. this does have EVERYTHING to do with the fact that the state of the fisheries in this province have been ignored for far far too long, and we are now starting to catch up(very slowly) to where we shoulda been 20 years ago. im so sick of fisherman talking about their rights to go kill fish. that might of been fine and dandy in the past but where has that mentality gotten us?
i recently moved home after 6 years out west and the state of the fisheries and total lack of proper regulations here is sadening. i understand we as a province might not have the funds to enforce them but we could atleast put them in place. i dont think ANY river that has ANY salmon running in it should allow spin or bait fishing EVER. it should be closed to spin fishing all year, especially in the spring. im also against there still being ANY tags with a salmon license. we need no kill period.
To the folks out there who are against this kinda thing, i say you had your chance and you blew it, BIGTIME, go buy your fish from the store or go catch and kill some from a stocked lake. but please leave the few wild fish trout/salmon ALONE. i highly doubt the rest of us are gonna stand by and allow others to destroy something we care so deeply about. atleast i know i wont

i think no spin gear or bait in any river seems quite over the top'

why not just close the rivers to everyone ? lol...

geeze harsh, i agree but I think greater factors have also been takin hold, Deforestation tossin silt in the rivers, Hotter summers making it easier for predetors to catch fish and also making it harder for the fish themselves to reproduce. The chemicals thats are increasingly building every year. Theres alot to factor in and people need to step up not only in the fishery feilds but also in other feilds which directly impact fishing. Many river do need a no keep law, but things arnt goin to get any better dude.

you are correct sir, many factors come into play.

I fly fish and spin/bait fish, to each their own.

#59 SalmoSolar

SalmoSolar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

i didnt say ANY rivers, i did say ANY rivers with salmon in them. ( which as we all sadly know is very few nowadays )
i also agree that there are many , many factors involved here. i only commented on what i did because specific fishing regulations were the original posters thread topic.
im 32 years old and the changes ive seen in that short period of time are insane. the bottom line is things need to start to be done in a drastic manner to have any hope of a future for wild native fish,especially atlantic salmon. i just dont get why people insist on ignoring the obvious . Even more so why they insist on ignoring them for a reason as lame as a sense of entitlement.
snoop you and everyone like you have stood in the way,or attempted to for far too long and i for one am happy to see the new regulations on the phillip and hope there are many many more to come for there and other places.
on that note
tight lines everyone :)

#60 Fishalotasaurus

Fishalotasaurus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationBeaverbank/Lwr Sackville

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

i didnt say ANY rivers, i did say ANY rivers with salmon in them. ( which as we all sadly know is very few nowadays )
i also agree that there are many , many factors involved here. i only commented on what i did because specific fishing regulations were the original posters thread topic.
im 32 years old and the changes ive seen in that short period of time are insane. the bottom line is things need to start to be done in a drastic manner to have any hope of a future for wild native fish,especially atlantic salmon. i just dont get why people insist on ignoring the obvious . Even more so why they insist on ignoring them for a reason as lame as a sense of entitlement.
snoop you and everyone like you have stood in the way,or attempted to for far too long and i for one am happy to see the new regulations on the phillip and hope there are many many more to come for there and other places.
on that note
tight lines everyone :)

I meant any rivers with salmon in them.

I don't think anyones ignoreing anything for their sense of entitlement. Perhaps it's what's they prefer to use ?

Nothing wrong with it as long as the river they are on allow's it .

Can't we all just get a long ? Group Hug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users