River Philip, The Unfair Fishery - Rivers & Streams - Nova Scotia Fishing

Photo

River Philip, The Unfair Fishery

river philip regulations lure

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
106 replies to this topic

Poll: River Philip, The unfair fishery (61 member(s) have cast votes)

Who thinks it's fair that fly fisherman get to have free reign over river philip while lure / bait fisherman have to suffer?

1. Not me, I only lure / bait fish (6 votes [9.84%])

Percentage of vote: 9.84%

2. Not me, I prefer lure / bait fishing but will fly fish if it's the only option (10 votes [16.39%])

Percentage of vote: 16.39%

3. Me (45 votes [73.77%])

Percentage of vote: 73.77%

Vote

#1 Snoop

Snoop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

So, I fished river Philip for 15 years, till a few years ago when they put this new restriction on it. I love lure / bait fishing but I can't stand fly fishing, so this is really frustrating. I have so many lures now getting rusty in my tackle box because there is no other river near by worthy of catching a 20 " + trout. Why should us lure / bait anglers have to suffer and stand back watching while these fly fisherman get full reign over the river, it's just not fair. I live in Amherst and even river Philip is a 20 - 30 min drive, any other big rivers I've fished within a two hour drive have almost a zero percent chance of a catching a 20+ trout. Any suggestions? Why can't they just leave things alone, I can take you to river Philip and visually show you salmon swimming up river, it's not in danger of low population any time soon, I've never even seen anyone take any salmon in spring.

#2 salmon are forever!

salmon are forever!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationTruro & tatamagouche. N.S.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

Im not even gonna say anything on this one some parts i can agree some parts i cant thats all i have to say
what a tourist terms a plague of insects a fly-fisher calls a great hatch!

http://users.eastlin...ryfly/hatch.htm

http://www.facebook....in.skinner.1671

#3 Troutin on the Fly

Troutin on the Fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

So, I fished river Philip for 15 years, till a few years ago when they put this new restriction on it. I love lure / bait fishing but I can't stand fly fishing, so this is really frustrating. I have so many lures now getting rusty in my tackle box because there is no other river near by worthy of catching a 20 " + trout. Why should us lure / bait anglers have to suffer and stand back watching while these fly fisherman get full reign over the river, it's just not fair. I live in Amherst and even river Philip is a 20 - 30 min drive, any other big rivers I've fished within a two hour drive have almost a zero percent chance of a catching a 20+ trout. Any suggestions? Why can't they just leave things alone, I can take you to river Philip and visually show you salmon swimming up river, it's not in danger of low population any time soon, I've never even seen anyone take any salmon in spring.

Go fish Southhampton/Maccan. That way you won't have to risk hooking a salmon and killing it. I've caught more 20" fish in southampton than I have in the Phillip,

#4 mattd

mattd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

I cannot speak personally about River P but in general, deep hook sets with bait and the use of multiple treble hooks on lures have a higher risk of mortaility to Salmon then a single unbaited hook (fly). Too protect the Salmon the river could be closed entirely until they migrate out to Sea or gear restrictions can be put in place to allow fishing (fly only).

#5 chaseforen777

chaseforen777

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

I am a lure/bait fisherman, but not one in the same position as you, I have a good range of choices for where I can go and fish. I do not salmon fish because I do not have the motivation to become proficient enough with a fly rod and the proper techniques that allow me to safely target, hook, land and release our salmon back into the waters. I have a very one sided stance on salmon fishing, it should be done with artificial fly, barbless hooks, and 100% catch and release. Shoot me for that opinion if you like but it is mine. I know a handful of recreational salmon fisherman, and they live for the salmon fishery. The time and effort that these guys have put into learning how to correctly target, hook, land and release these fish is impressive, also the limited time and locations salmon are accessible is another part of the equation. I personally have much more fishing opportunites to explore, that puts me in a position to side with the salmon guys who go fly-only for a small portion of the year and put all their focus on it. I like the rules the way they are!

Chase

#6 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

Good post! I agree with your take Chaseforen777.

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

#7 hassaracker

hassaracker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationWest Lahave, Lunenburg Co.

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

There is no way you can expect to release a healthy salmon after hooking it with a treble hook......

#8 trout snout

trout snout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Locationhalifax

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

also when a treble hook gets top and bottom lips the fish cant breathe as they breathe from mouth through gills and if you broke your line or played the fish at all it will die

#9 trout snout

trout snout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Locationhalifax

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

and im not sayin its fair but you gotta roll with the punches

#10 basindawg

basindawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationCanning NS

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

Good post! I agree with your take Chaseforen777.

Absolutely, that was well said and probably speaks for most of us. Thanks, Chaseforen

#11 marquisfly

marquisfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

Good post x2 Chaseforen777

#12 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

Well said Chase. Excellent post.

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#13 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:52 PM

I echo eveyone else great post chasen and trout smout
please practice a sustainable harvest

#14 Brian M

Brian M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

Just for arguments sake, could you not just tie a fly onto a spinning rod or any rod, add some weight and fish? a fly rod is just a delivery method is it not? so at the end of the day if you have a fly on the end of your line it would be fly fishing.

that said, if the river is loaded with salmon I wouldn't bother even trying for trout, the odds would favor hooking a salmon.

#15 BrownTrout Stalker

BrownTrout Stalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

The wieght would be illegal i do believe.......

#16 BassNBrownsNinja

BassNBrownsNinja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

I dont think anyone should be aloud to fish for Salmon....Period. Too many flyfisherman let them suck the fly down where it kills the fish. Single hook rapala on the other hand probly wouldnt get swallowed but flyfisherman control alot of the political pull so the Salmon will continue to suffer. They should just shut the whole deal down for 10 years or so and maybe there would'nt be such a specific need for individual river regulations. Disagree if you will, but if you really love Salmon as much as I do, a baitfishermen, you wouldnt fish them at all. If your so concerned stop proposing new regualtions and start proposing total protection.

#17 chaseforen777

chaseforen777

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

#18 SalmonFarmsKill

SalmonFarmsKill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

Boggles me how these other rivers are not doing so well since they have been left all alone .....

#19 RyanLandry

RyanLandry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Locationmississauga, Ontario

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

This is my first post on this board, so before I give my opinion I'll add a small intro. I was born In cape Breton and a few years later my family moved to Toronto. I've been back east nearly every year since I left. If everything goes as planned I'll be moving back home this summer! I've fished all my life for every species and with every method I had access to. I learned to fly fish at the age of 10 and I love it. But to be honest my favourite method for rivers is float fishing aka centerpin fishing. We are blessed in Toronto to have an incredible river fishery. With around 15 rivers within 90 minute drive of where I live (and I've fished them all) with fall runs of chinook, coho and a few Atlantic salmon and fall - spring runs of steelhead (rainbow) and brown trout I've been doing a ton of reading and research on the rules and regulations for Nova Scotia and all I can say is WOW!!! Confusing is an understatement! Although I am all about conservation and releasing healthy unarmed fish I strongly believe that people who think fly fishing is the only way to achieve this are being a little narrow minded. I've been centerpin fishing for about 14 years now and probably landed 5 or 6 hundred fish in that time ranging in size from 1- 35 lbs. im not going to sit here and tell you that I've never foul hooked a fish cause I have. It always seem to be the chinooks and that is solely due to the fact that there are as many as 50 in a pool at a time and some of them are half dead due to the fact that the majority will die after they spawn. This Is nothing to do with method as the same thing happens to fly fishermen as well. I can however say I can't remember ever foul hooking a trout as they don't stack up like the chinnys and are a lot smarter! And of all the trout I've caught I can count on one hand how many we're hooked somewhere inside the mouth as 99% are in the lip. How Is this possible you ask when drifting roe for instance? Well it's simple, it's all in the reel! For those who don't know how a centrepin works I'll give you a quick lesson. The reel itself in appearance is very similar to a fly reel. The big difference is that it has the ability to free spool (it has no drag system) your hand is the drag. This is the big advantage of this method, it allows you to drift your float down the river while always maintaining a tight line. The reel will back spin at the speed the river moves your float. This allows an immediate hook set when you bait is taken. There is no bail to close or slack line to recover before you set the hook. As for bait we use roe, rubber eggs, plastic beads and of course flys which work as well or better then everything else some days. That was the "long" and here is the "short", I agree with the fact that we need restrictions on our rivers to preserve the future of our fishery. But like what was said in a post above, I feel the restrictions should be on baits/ lures/ hooks and not the methods of delivery! Just my opinion. Thanks

#20 SalmonFarmsKill

SalmonFarmsKill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

Its not all that bad for them Ryan, they get to hit the River Philip May 15th with what ever method they choose to use . This river is the second best producing salmon river in Nova Scotia and 99% of these guys want to use bell weights and allow the fish to swallow the hook before they set it in fear that they might miss the hook set . There are guys up there that spend countless hours restoring and working on the river all seasons long . There is a reason that these fish are big because this river has been set out for a trout management area . When these regulations first come in when the fish were not as plentiful ,you never hear anything from the fish killers . But once it is restored and the management is working you get guys that just dont think its fair that they cant go and kill . But these regs are put in to help the salmon as they are trying to fill their guts with smelt for restoring their bodys. They shut down West river in Pictiu to the 15th of May for all angling ,and the conservation minded people are pleased with this decision , but once the trout get big in the West you will hear guys complain cause they cant go get em . Besides ,all north shore rivers have 20"+ trout in them .....you just have to go fishing .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users