D F O To Review Bringing Norwegian Atlantic Salmon To Newfoundland - They Need To Think About This? - Conservation - Nova Scotia Fishing

Photo

D F O To Review Bringing Norwegian Atlantic Salmon To Newfoundland - They Need To Think About This?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:34 AM

So, I found a Canadian Science Advisory Schedule on the DFO site dated March 26-28, 2013. The National Peer Review (Terms of Reference) is titled:

Potential effects surrounding the importation of European-origin cultured Atlantic salmon to Atlantic salmon populations and habitats in Newfoundland - http://www.dfo-mpo.g..._26-28-eng.html

It begins:

Context
Canada’s main aquaculture organizations have expressed considerable interest in gaining access to better-performing Atlantic Salmon broodlines to increase Canadian aquaculture industry competitiveness. Two companies on the East Coast of Canada have sought approval from Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) to import small numbers of Norwegian-origin Atlantic Salmon from an Icelandic facility for the purpose of conducting performance trials in net cages at sea. These companies would like to investigate whether this foreign strain has the potential for improved performance under Newfoundland conditions compared to that currently being realized from domestic-origin fish. These requests were denied, in part, due to the uncertainty surrounding the growth, survival, and reproduction of potential farm escapees. It was concluded that this high level of uncertainty precluded determination of the level of ecological and genetic risks that potential escapes from farms could pose to wild Atlantic Salmon and their habitat. An increased understanding and characterization of these risks is needed to help inform management on policy direction and/or decision-making and on possible mitigation measures that may alter risk profiles regarding advice on similar future requests.

I strongly suggest that the remainder of this document be read by anyone interested.

Hey...Credit where credit is due. At least they are taking the time to look at the matter.

But seriously...with the preponderance of evidence regarding Norwegian Aquaculture practices, disease and spread thereof by Open Feedlot Aquaculture; do they really need to "Review" this issue?

Not to mention, DFO is mandated to protect our Oceans and their wild species. Should they be wasting their limited Budget in the pursuit of the aquaculture industy,"gaining access to better-performing Atlantic Salmon broodlines to increase Canadian aquaculture industry competitiveness."?

Wild Atlantic Salmon are a species at risk. Why risk them any further?

Plopping Norwegian strains of aquaculture proved Atlantic Salmon in Newfoundland (or any Provinces) waters, considering the strains of diseases proven to be carried by these fish, would seem to be far too great of a risk.

Even with all the proper protocols I'm sure they would suggest. The protocols don't seem to have been very effective in past situations.

My humble opinion, anyway.

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#2 Exstreamfisherman

Exstreamfisherman

Streamside ProStaff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

Great post Terran... I would have no problem with them obtaining these fish for land based trials.. No chance of escape, or proliferation with native species, no spread of disease etc... I agree that this shouldn't have even gotten past the front desk of DFO because of all the other cuts that they have faced. Limited budget that they have, maybe this was just smoke and mirrors to keep them busy while the company did something else... I am sure this is not the last we have heard of this situation.

#3 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

Exstream,

I'm certainly afraid that this won't be the last we hear of this issue. If this foolish idea were to be approved; how long do you think it would be until we have Norwegian Atlantic's swimming off our coast?

Again, how many reports, science studies and historic data does it take for DFO to get the picture?

Thanks for your post,

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users