2013 Shubenacadie/stewiacke Striped Bass - Page 3 - Striped Bass Fishing - Nova Scotia Fishing

Photo

2013 Shubenacadie/stewiacke Striped Bass

• Please log in to reply
301 replies to this topic

#41 Robbie Hiltz

Robbie Hiltz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • LocationThe Valley

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

sorry kid but this is no secret and i believe in releasing with fly or single hook. you want to know a secret...i will send you a pm

The best things in life aren't things

#42 nutrasea

nutrasea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

Robbie, Thanks for your infor.

If everything is secret, why should this website be exist?
Should DFO shut down this web due to people release sensetive information?

#43 macdonald21

macdonald21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSackville Nova Scotia

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

Just wondering if anyone is having any luck in the shubenacadie river yet or is it still to early was in millfoed this morning but no luck.

#44 Newfieaway

Newfieaway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

where can one find the tide times for shubenacadie

#45 basindawg

basindawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationCanning NS

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

7 days Tidal Predictions - Tides, Currents, and Water Levels
might help, good luck !

#46 IBVFD

IBVFD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

fyi, Full moon tonight, so the Tide will be high at the shubie ballfield at 3-3:30 pm today.

#47 IBVFD

IBVFD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

http://www.waterleve...ng/find/zone/30

Click Burncoat Head, use the next day Tides for approx start on incoming tide for Stewiacke, add 30-45 mins to St Andrews, and 1- 1.5 for start at end of Gays river.

#48 striperhunter35

striperhunter35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBassRiver N.S.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

Fished the Shube the last couple of days lots of people fishing, can see stripers in the river put very few strikes my fishing buddy did get a small one on cut bait. may have to try again on wed :)

#49 EvilSquish

EvilSquish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

I'm hoping to hit either Stewijacke or Shubie tomorrow later in the day.... first time out and fingers are crossed!
Here fishy fishy fishy!

#50 IBVFD

IBVFD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

Start of Tide today in Stewiacke approx 1:30 pm give or take 15 mins.

Tides are starting to get higher with each tide as we get closer to the new moon on Friday.

Action should be pickin up as the bass move in the rivers with the tides and closer to spawnin soon.

Anyone get a temp in the last day or so or a temp today in the Stewiacke

#51 EvilSquish

EvilSquish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

I got bait raped today on the Stewie.... missed the start of the tide but when I got there there were def fish moving around.... just not committed to me I guess lol
Here fishy fishy fishy!

#52 NS_Sens

NS_Sens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

Had that happen to me on the Shubie yesterday, ended up being eels trying to steal my bait. It felt like a nice hit every 5 to 10 minutes, and could never get them hooked. When I did hook one it was an eel, and other times they'd stay on the line long enough for me to bring it to shore then fall off. Damn eels.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. -- George W. Sears

#53 striperhunter35

striperhunter35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBassRiver N.S.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

Should have stayed home today nothing but eels taking my bait on the Shubie today :( but was still nice on the river and a day out of the house :)

#54 NS_Sens

NS_Sens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

Those eels leave some nasty slim on your hands if you handle them.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. -- George W. Sears

#55 EvilSquish

EvilSquish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:47 AM

Those eels leave some nasty slim on your hands if you handle them.

And a fine subtle smell too :s
Here fishy fishy fishy!

#56 sailor340

sailor340

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationBedford/Halifax

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

I cut the line and sacrifice the rig i have on if i get an eel.

#57 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

I cut the line and sacrifice the rig i have on if i get an eel.

Yup. Gotta hate the "Snot Snakes". :wacko: Dont ya love the way they curl up your line; leaving that "snot" that no fish will go near afterwards?

By the way, you can strip the "snot" off them, pretty quickly, with old newspaper. Just make sure to carry it out with you. Might come in handy for anyone interested in keeping them. Why...I can't imagine. :blink:

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#58 Al_ G _62

Al_ G _62

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationbeaverbank

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

We fished the shubie near the highway construction on Wednesday morning. I have no idea why a striper would take a piece of cut bait when there were so many gaspereau in the river they were running into the banks. The guy next to me would simply dip some with his net to rebait his hooks with live gaspereau. In the last week every Striper I heard taken was bloated with food.

There were lots of eels, unlike previous commenters, I hope to catch eels, need a dozen or so more for my smoker. If you want to give them away, I will take them!

If you want to control an eel, bring a rag or cotton glove, they may bite ( probably not) but they have tiny teeth, like coarse sandpaper, Throw them back if you don't want them. If you want to keep them, grab them by the head a wack the end of their tails on something hard, that will stun them. They are a delicacy, anyone who has ever tried them, loves them, smoked eel in sushi are called unagi. Smoked eel sells for upwards of $50 per pound, but good luck finding it.

Most people are revolted at the thought that they look like snakes. Some of our favorite foods are not that pretty, my grandson calls lobster " bugs" but loves to eat them.

For those adventurous enough to try them: stun them, gut them, let them soak in a salt brine for a few hours to cut the slime, nail the head to a post and skin the eel, then prepare as any fish, fried or other, once you try them you will never throw away another eel

#59 dom

dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:13 AM

There were lots of eels, unlike previous commenters, I hope to catch eels, need a dozen or so more for my smoker. If you want to give them away, I will take them!

If you want to control an eel, bring a rag or cotton glove, they may bite ( probably not) but they have tiny teeth, like coarse sandpaper, Throw them back if you don't want them. If you want to keep them, grab them by the head a wack the end of their tails on something hard, that will stun them. They are a delicacy, anyone who has ever tried them, loves them, smoked eel in sushi are called unagi. Smoked eel sells for upwards of $50 per pound, but good luck finding it.

Most people are revolted at the thought that they look like snakes. Some of our favorite foods are not that pretty, my grandson calls lobster " bugs" but loves to eat them.

For those adventurous enough to try them: stun them, gut them, let them soak in a salt brine for a few hours to cut the slime, nail the head to a post and skin the eel, then prepare as any fish, fried or other, once you try them you will never throw away another eel

I second that.

#60 sailor340

sailor340

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationBedford/Halifax

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

If you want to catch eels out there use squid. Caught 3 within a 1/2 hour the other day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users