#1 connor obrien

connor obrien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

Hey guys and gals,
Look don't ream me I know it is frowned upon to share fishing spots since we don't like crowding but I'm going to ask anyways. I am a young man who does alot of fishing and is very serious about it. The only time I take fish out of the water is when I know I'm having it for a meal that night. I do alot of fly fishing for trout and shad and small mouth bass all over the province. I spin cast for stripped bass but I have spent the last 2 seasons hunting a place to fly fish them. I tie all of my own flies, and I have quite a few good spots around and if somebody were willing to give me a hand and at least point me in the right direction I could spare them some flies or perhaps down the road someday return the favour. I have flies ans rod and all of the gear I need I just don't know where to start fishing them. As I said I've caught plenty of 36+ inche bass on the spin cast in shubie but it is ggetting to the point where I need a little more challenge and a change and I can't for the life of me find a spot to fly fish them. Anyways if you wanna help some young fella who just simply loves to fish, pm me n here and maybe we can get out for a fish together or you can just point me jn the right direction. Sorry for some of the spelling I did the add Oj my phone

#2 Exstreamfisherman

Exstreamfisherman

Streamside ProStaff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

So if you are accustomed to using spinning gear and you are landing fish on the shubie then why do you need a place to fly fish for them... you already have the Shubie... Not busting your balls on this or anything like that but you have access to great striper fishing on the fly on both the Stewiacke and Shubie... lots of water to explore and sometimes that is the best fishing you will have. If you want to travel then I had great luck in Advocate Hbr last September. You could could try over in the St. Croix river or Burlington areas of the Province.. so many places to start the hunt in my opinion. Good luck getting into them on the fly. What wt fly rod are you going to be using?

#3 basindawg

basindawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationCanning NS

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Hey guys and gals,
Look don't ream me I know it is frowned upon to share fishing spots since we don't like crowding but I'm going to ask anyways. I am a young man who does alot of fishing and is very serious about it. The only time I take fish out of the water is when I know I'm having it for a meal that night. I do alot of fly fishing for trout and shad and small mouth bass all over the province. I spin cast for stripped bass but I have spent the last 2 seasons hunting a place to fly fish them. I tie all of my own flies, and I have quite a few good spots around and if somebody were willing to give me a hand and at least point me in the right direction I could spare them some flies or perhaps down the road someday return the favour. I have flies ans rod and all of the gear I need I just don't know where to start fishing them. As I said I've caught plenty of 36+ inche bass on the spin cast in shubie but it is ggetting to the point where I need a little more challenge and a change and I can't for the life of me find a spot to fly fish them. Anyways if you wanna help some young fella who just simply loves to fish, pm me n here and maybe we can get out for a fish together or you can just point me jn the right direction. Sorry for some of the spelling I did the add Oj my phone

Hey Conner, I've yet to fish the Shubie or Stewiacke but if i were gonna try the fly i think I'd be out hunting some holding spots at LOW tide with the fly. ;) . Best of luck, hope to hear how you make out with the fly. !

#4 connor obrien

connor obrien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

Just a 10 weight Fenwick. I hear there isn't much chance in the dark water but I'll be trying where I normally go with the fly anyways I just figured id put it out there. The water is normally pretty fast too which is a concern

#5 salmon are forever!

salmon are forever!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationTruro & tatamagouche. N.S.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

go up to the freshwater up milford way also probaly around nine mile and also go to any of the brackish spots to!

Ive also fished them with spinning and im also trying for them on the fly this year

Btw you sound exactly like me! You tie youre own flies you fly fish

How old are ya
what a tourist terms a plague of insects a fly-fisher calls a great hatch!

http://users.eastlin...ryfly/hatch.htm

http://www.facebook....in.skinner.1671

#6 connor obrien

connor obrien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

19 next month!

#7 salmon are forever!

salmon are forever!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationTruro & tatamagouche. N.S.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

Happy birthday and happy fishin season to!

And like i said im also pursuing stripers on the fly

If youre looking for good spots on shubie and stewiacke look on google earth in the past week ive looked and found 8 good spots to fish for stripers hope you do well!

I hope we. Both do well good luck tight lines and happy fishing
what a tourist terms a plague of insects a fly-fisher calls a great hatch!

http://users.eastlin...ryfly/hatch.htm

http://www.facebook....in.skinner.1671

#8 Exstreamfisherman

Exstreamfisherman

Streamside ProStaff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:16 AM

If the water you are fishing is extremely fast then you may want to relocate but if it is just moving at a normal rivers pace then you should be fine.. Cast out either directly across or at a 45 and let it drift.. strip the fly as you wish and hold on. The take is explosive I find. When they want it there is no guessing that you have a fish on....Fishing muddy water or murky water isn't a concern either because these fish are in there and they are eating so they can find prey even with minimal visibility.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bass, fly fishing, fishing, striper, shubie, river, stewiake, fish, flies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users