adam_h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

Hi Guys,

I may have an opportunity to do some fishing around Skagway and Whitehorse this summer. The trip would probably be in late July.

My favourite type of fishing is small streams with lightweight gear so grayling sounds very appealing to me. However, I'm tempted to mix it up with some larger fish and some salmon in Alaska.

Is this something I can do on my own or should I really look at booking an outfitter? I don’t need a week at a fly in resort, I’d be just as happy camping my way along some streams - if it’s the right spot. I don’t have any local knowledge obviously and I don’t want to just randomly try my luck and be skunked. I’d be very happy to have a day in Alaska for salmon, and 2 days chasing big rainbows and 2 days chasing grayling..

Does anyone have any experience or advice to give about those area's?

#2 Exstreamfisherman

Exstreamfisherman

Streamside ProStaff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

Adam I will send you a PM of a friend living up that way. You need to be prepared for the elements up there and that includes the big critters.. not sure I would trust just going out on your own if you ever wanted to come back..Grizzly and who knows what else would look at you as table fare..

I have been up to Alaska and it is a beautiful area.. I wasn't there however when you could fish anything..lol... It was middle of winter and ice was everywhere... good luck with your summer trip.

#3 trucknuts

trucknuts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

I was in Whitehorse for a couple of days in 2007. I had to drive from Whitehorse to Dawson city to pick a friend so I bought a cheap rod and reel at the Walmart, paid $20 for a single day license and picked up a map at the tourist bureau that showed potential fishing spots on the way to Dawson. I spent the whole day driving and fishing along the way. I saw Grayling, large salmon which had turned red and were heading up stream to spawn and I caught a 16 inch pike in the Yukon river. I was always on the lookout for bears and I didn't go far from the main road. It was an awesome day and I woulds go back in a minute.

On the same trip I was in Anchorage Alaska and our local tour guide took us to Chicken River which is set up for tourists to fish in. I caught 2 small salmon but it wasn't near as much fun as my day on my own.

#4 trout snout

trout snout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Locationhalifax

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

try looking into catching shee fish saw them on the if4 they look like an awesome fight!! jus sayin

#5 Exstreamfisherman

Exstreamfisherman

Streamside ProStaff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:01 AM

I saw that as well and it looked like it would be worth the journey... since you are already going to be up there you might as well fill the bucket list for a few of us by proxy..lol...

#6 adam_h

adam_h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

shee fish?? I've never heard of that. A google search says they are primarily in the Kobuk river. I won't be anywhere near that. Are they found elsewhere?

#7 Exstreamfisherman

Exstreamfisherman

Streamside ProStaff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

Another name which I am more familiar with them being called is Inconnu... try a search for that and you may come up with different results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users