Report Of The Standing Committee On Fisheries And Oceans: Closed Containment Aquaculture - The Report Is Finally Out - Conservation - Nova Scotia Fishing

Photo

Report Of The Standing Committee On Fisheries And Oceans: Closed Containment Aquaculture - The Report Is Finally Out

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

Hey Gang,

The Report by the Standing Committee on Fisheries and Oceans on Closed Containment Aquaculture has just finally come out.

I haven't had the opportunity to review it yet, but I thought I'd provide the link so that we can all absorb it together.

Closed Containment Aquaculture - http://www.parl.gc.c.../foporp03-e.pdf

I'm sure that after familiarizing myself with the Report, I'll have plenty of comments. Hope that others will as well.

This one should be interesting.

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#2 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

So, I've briefly skimmed it. There is a List of Recommendations that appear to summarize the findings of the Committee. I'll list the Recommendations below.

LIST of RECOMMENDATIONS

Recommendation 1
The Committee recommends that the Government of Canada study the
socio-economic impacts of a possible transition to closed containment
technologies, including the resulting impacts on employment in rural and
coastal communities. .................................................................................................. 16

Recommendation 2
The Committee recommends that the Government of Canada continue to
work with rural, coastal and First Nations communities to encourage
economic growth through the development of aquaculture operations,
including the use of closed containment technologies. .......................................... 18

Recommendation 3
The Committee recognizes the important contributions made by
Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) and recommends
that the Government of Canada work with SDTC to ensure that its
application and reporting requirements facilitate the funding of research
and development of sustainable closed containment technologies. ..................... 26

Recommendation 4
The Committee recognizes that any commercial adoption of closed
containment aquaculture or other innovative aquaculture technologies will
require public and private financial support to complete research and
ultimately to allow promising new and viable technologies to advance
from demonstration to commercialization. Therefore, the Committee
recommends that the Government of Canada, in conjunction with industry,
review the financing options to ensure that resources are available to close
the commercialization gaps. The Committee further recommends that the
government-industry review considers a dedicated fund for closed
containment demonstration projects. ....................................................................... 29

Recommendation 5
The Committee recommends that the Government of Canada develop a
national policy and regulatory framework for aquaculture including an
aquaculture act. ........................................................................................................... 31

Recommendation 6
The Committee recommends that the Government of Canada, supported by
industry, establish a canadian centre of excellence for salmon aquaculture
development at a university to study all aspects of salmon aquaculture
development, including its impact on surrounding communities. ......................... 32

It certainly appears that Closed Containment has made some degree of impression on the Committee. It seems to be a start in the right direction. Now lets see whether these recommendations are implemented.

I'll have more as I become more familiar with the document.

Hope others will add their opinions, as well.

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#3 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

Okay, seriously, this report was commissioned in October 2011 and it is just coming out now? It's 48 pages and a few of those are blanks.

I can't believe it took them more than six months to put this together. Oh wait. It is a Government report. They must have had about eight months of vacation in there.

I'm pretty sure that I could have gotten this together in four to six months with two other people and a couple of laptops with internet access. Mine would of had a fancier type font, coloured pictures and perhaps T-shirts.

And I bet it would have come in way under the budget of this one.

Sorry... I should be appreciative of what they did accomplish. They seem to partially get the closed containment concept. Not sure they've totally grasped the nuances, yet.

One heck of a great list of recommendations though. Give em credit on that. Wonder who will get commissioned to complete the recommendations? How long will that take? Will there be fancy fonts and T-shirts?

Government is sooooo predictable.

Terran

#4 Exstreamfisherman

Exstreamfisherman

Streamside ProStaff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

The question is will they initiate programs country wide and not just Coast specific. I have read it and I am still unsure if it answered all of the questions. That being said doing something is better than doing nothing. first things first... remove the pens. Which option for closed containment they choose is still up for debate. I personally would choose the RAS. Yes it would be the more expensive option but also the greatest control and the best bang for the buck so to speak.

#5 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:41 AM

Absolutely agree. The RAS system is definitely the way to go. As stated, it is more expensive, but offers the necessary controls while providing a long term facility for producing high quality product.

I find it interesting that the report, commissioned October 2011, mentions regulations and assessment that "are" in place to currently address the open cage industry. It should be noted that while this report was being prepared the Harper Government produced two Omnibus Bills that stripped and neutered most of those assessment controls. Changes to the Fisheries Act, Environment Act, Navigable Waters Protection Act and others have certainly weakened the "regulations" mentioned in this report.

I would also mention that the regulations and assessment criteria has done little to prevent poor placement of these sites or the continual spread of disease, pollution, chemicals or parasites. All things tha can be nearly irradicated in closed containment systems.

Still, the fact that they didn't just pan closed containment is cause for optimism. Maybe there is hope yet. But yes, the first step is to place a moratorium on open cage feedlots and start reducing their numbers along both of our coastlines.

Terran

#6 Exstreamfisherman

Exstreamfisherman

Streamside ProStaff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:22 AM

They mentioned in their report that opinions and data were inconclusive and that many scientists have different views and opinions on the matter of open pen cages so no determination can made (so apparently no action is acceptable when their is possible environmental issues) Until we are absolutely sure that it is killing salmon and spreading disease lets just leave it... that way it will be too late.. the same goes for the section that deals with Reduced Bunisness Risk... I can't even begin to wonder why this aspect is even included when we are dealing with evnironmental contaminants or spread of disease into our wild stocks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users