#1 sdcanoe

sdcanoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

I wonder if the CFIA has considered that by allowing ISA infected salmon to be sold to the public, they are creating the potential for these fish to be used to intentionally spread the virus. I have sent emails to CFIA and OIE and asked for clarification. Everyone concerned should be questioning this, as there must be a law prohibiting the sale of deadly viruses that can be used for harm.

This is from the CFIA website...

People can spread infectious salmon anaemia by moving any of the following
•infected live or dead finfish,
•contaminated equipment, or
•contaminated water.

This is from Alexandra Morton's Blog...

The CFIA is telling people not to use ISA-infected fish “that were bought in a grocery store as bait for catching finfish or other aquatic animals.” So don’t put it in a crab trap, because you could spread the disease. And “when cleaning and gutting finfish, dispose of all waste in your municipal garbage,” instead of down the sink’s garburator.
How many people buying the 240,000 salmon from an ISA virus positive feedlot will go to the CFIA website and read this? Does this half-hearted attempt serve some kind of duty to notify, while not actually doing anything meaningful to contain the pathogen? If you can’t put it in your crab trap do you really want to put it in your body? The CFIA must know the power of influenza viruses. By allowing Cook aquaculture to sell it, they are giving the ISA virus unprecedented access to the human body, where other influenzas exist.

#2 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Hey sdcanoe,

You make a valid point. I stated in the RED Alert thread that ISAv contaminated product should be designated a BIOHAZARD. There should be Biohazard stickers placed on anything that contains ISAv as it poses a risk to living organisms (Salmon, trout, other finfish and possibly humans).

It could almost be suggested, that the release of the contaminated Coffin Island, Cooke Aquaculture fish, is nothing short of a deliberate biological attack on the remaining endangered wild Atlantic Salmon (or worse if it were to mutate to humans).

I have also stated that this cultivation, transport and processing, should be considered a violation of the Environment Act.

Considering the highly infectious nature of ISAv to many finfish, the lack of actual study done on the human infection scenario and the deliberate violation of both domestic and international regulations, regarding this Virus, it would seem that our Government and it's departments are taking a huge risk with our environment and indeed our health.

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#3 sdcanoe

sdcanoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Terran,

You are doing a great job collecting info. These fish are definitely a BioHazard and have the potential to be used as biological weapons. I read your post on the Red Alert thread and you are right, this seems to violate many environmental acts. My next email will be to Environment Canada. Hopefully some of the larger groups will take this on.
Fighting the Harper Government will be no easy task. They will do their best to drag it out as long as possible. They know with time support will fall off and resources will be depleted, a technique they seem to be perfecting. Funny, I feel like I am describing an enemy, not our Government. Too bad they are one and the same.

#4 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:20 AM

I sent some of our local issues/concerns to the UK and Ireland organisations against Salmon Open Pen Farms, I hope they will at least join in the threads on Facebook at Loblaws/Costco. it seems the best social media method. If anyone on FB wants to comment, see https://www.facebook...blawsON?fref=ts and https://www.facebook...Seafood?fref=ts
also https://www.facebook...oCanada?fref=ts

Thanks all you FB friends that feel like they would like to do something.
Kev.
So many Fish, so little time..

#5 sdcanoe

sdcanoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

Here is my response from CFIA...

"Thank you for your message. Regarding your concern about controlling ISA:

What is being done to protect Canadian aquatic animals from infectious salmon anaemia?

Infectious salmon anaemia is a reportable disease in Canada. This means that anyone who owns or works with aquatic animals, and who knows of or suspects infectious salmon anaemia in their fish, is required by law to notify the CFIA.

If infectious salmon anaemia is found, the CFIA would control its spread by carrying out disease response activities. These may include

- controlling the movements of infected animals that people own or work with
- humanely destroying infected animals
- cleaning and disinfecting

The control measures chosen would depend on the situation.

For information about the investigation in Nova Scotia, visit our site at
http://inspection/an...4/1359754807878 "

This seems like a total contradiction. They tell me they would control the spread of the virus by controlling the movements of infected animals that people own or work with and humanely destroy infected animals, yet they are allowing these fish to be sold to the public??? It appears CFIA has no idea what they are doing. Just because they have determined the fish are safe for human consuption does not mean this virus is safe to have in the hands of the public.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users