Red Alert! Cooke Aquaculture - Quarantined Farmed Salmon On Their Way To Your Local Market! - Page 7 - Conservation - Nova Scotia Fishing

Photo

Red Alert! Cooke Aquaculture - Quarantined Farmed Salmon On Their Way To Your Local Market!

Cooke Aquaculture Farmed salmon contaminated

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#121 rpen

rpen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

I feel a smile coming on! One down so many more to go!

#122 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

I posted my response to the Snow Island decision in the topic Travis started. If any ones interested in reading it, check out: http://novascotiafis...rm-application/

Now, let's address Minister Belliveau's statement. You know the guy; starting to look like a Hobbit. I gave him the Hobbit name Dildo Bugger.

Well, I've gotten to the point where I simply am going to have to ignore anything he says. In this story the guy states:

"In the aquaculture strategy the government committed to making careful decisions based on science," said Fisheries and Aquaculture Minister Sterling Belliveau. "From day one we were clear we would not rubber stamp aquaculture leases. After reviewing the evidence I was not satisfied that the science supported approving the site."

Yet in this news story, of February 22, 2013, one gets a little different view on how these site will be "assessed" in the future:

NO MORE ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENTS FOR SALMON FARMS IN NS - http://halifax.media...salmon-fa/16461

I tend to believe that there was more to the Snow Island decision than what our Honorable Minister has stated. Could it be the liming project by the NSSA in the WRSH or the listing of the Atlantic Salmon as a species at risk that played into this decision?

I'll take a win, no matter what the reason, but I simply don't buy into the "press statements" that have gone into describing the reason for it.

But a win is a win!

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#123 Shimanoman

Shimanoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationWaverley, Nova Scotia

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

I believe that Minister Belliveau et al are gearing up for a provincial election. I also believe that they are trying hard to piss off as little of the electorate as possible. I think that they will try and blame the feds for allowing the virus filled Cooke salmon to be sold for public consumption..

Kudos to the folks who started the bill board campaign. I, too will make a donation.

Terran
If you get a minute would you shoot me a PM with your phone# please?? There is something I would like to discuss with you.

Regards......
Life is too short, to take too much, too seriously, for too long ....Vernon P.Fraser

#124 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

I came across this story today and thought that it might be of interest to those following the whole Aquaculture Horror Story.

This particular story is an update on the "Frankenfish" approval. AquaBounty, with a research lab in Fortune, PEI , developed a Genetically Modified "Frankenfish" (part Atlantic Salmon, part Chinook Salmon and part deep water eel called a Pout).

This atrocity has been facing FDA approval in the United States and not having n easy time of it. Thankfully, the US are sensitive about this issue and making sure that the matter is receiving a thorough review.

The story is quite interesting and calls a number of issues into light. Take a look: Will GE salmon opposition be the "kiss of death" for AquaBounty? - http://www.undercurr...for-aquabounty/

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cooke, Aquaculture, Farmed, salmon, contaminated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users