Red Alert! Cooke Aquaculture - Quarantined Farmed Salmon On Their Way To Your Local Market! - Page 3 - Conservation - Nova Scotia Fishing

Photo

Red Alert! Cooke Aquaculture - Quarantined Farmed Salmon On Their Way To Your Local Market!

Cooke Aquaculture Farmed salmon contaminated

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#41 Shimanoman

Shimanoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationWaverley, Nova Scotia

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

I believe that if any of our members are hooked up to facebook, Twitter or other social media accounts, and they know how to use them (I'm sorry to say that I don't), there are two avenues that I would pursue. The first, is to discover whether the US Food and Drug Administration and or the US Dept of Agriculture or any other agency which deals with food and the safety of the food supply in the USA regards ISA infected fish as being fit for consumption by their citizens and/or pets?? Also, do these agencies currently allow the importation of infected fish or shipments of uninfected fish to be comingled with infected fish and added to the food supply of their nation??
The second point of attack would be the very popular (and imported to Canada via the TV feeds) host of the Doctor Oz Show, Dr. Memhet OZ. I would like to know (because he has been promoting the consumption of salmon on his show for years now) if he would promote the importation and consumption of infected Canadian salmon or, if it is already being fed to Americans by their own fish farmers with approval from their own government agencies, how long have our cousins been eating infected fish??

I really believe that the definitive answers from both sources will give, or shed some light on how the problem can be addressed here in Canada.

There is a third question which I would like addressed and that is -- Are Land Based Aquaculture Sites Infected With ISA??
If Not, Why Not??

Regards......
Life is too short, to take too much, too seriously, for too long ....Vernon P.Fraser

#42 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

Hey Guys,

This may also be a Topic that should be brought to the attention of the American - Food and Drug Administration.

Here is an interesting "Report to Congress" : http://www.fda.gov/F...m/ucm150954.htm

Again, ISAv being a "Reportable" Disease, it is required to be reported to the World Animal Health Organization (OIE): http://www.oie.int/i.../access-online/

ISAv is also required to be reported to State and Federal Officials in the United States. There are tight regulations on the transport of infected materials into the United States and across State borders. Perhaps U.S. Customs might be the Department to inform?

I'm sure that once the news gets out, the border will tighten up very quickly.

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#43 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

Shimanoman,

Strange, but I posted the above while you were posting. Seems we were thinking along the same lines.

As to your question about ISAv in closed containment systems, the answer is "no", as long as the proper precautions are taken when eggs or brood stock are being carefully screened. Here is a link that may provide some info on the subject: http://www.namgis.bc...es/default.aspx

Closed containment facilities carefully check for diseases and usually isolate new introductions in a quarantine situation. As all water is carefully filtered and disinfected, there is little chance of a disease being introduced from an outside source.

Hope this is helpful.

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#44 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

I also emailed USDA and Department of Fish and Wildlife, if anyone gets the correct individual's name at USDA for control of diseased food/safety, let us know.
K.
So many Fish, so little time..

#45 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Notification of authorities in the United States
Infectious salmon anemia should be reported to state or federal authorities immediately upon diagnosis or suspicion of the disease. In the U.S., all active salmonid lease sites must participate in the national surveillance and control program to be eligible for indemnification under this program.
Federal: Area Veterinarians in Charge (AVIC): http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/area_offices/
State Veterinarians:
http://www.usaha.org...hOfficials.pdf

#46 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

Swinsc,

This site may also provide you with some information: http://www.aphis.usd...l_imports.shtml

Terran

#47 Shimanoman

Shimanoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

I would really like Dr Oz to answer whether he thinks ISA infected salmon should be included in his viewers diet. I would like to know what Dr Oz would think if it became known that Canada says diseased fish are safe to eat and supports them being in the food supply, and, would no doubt, also say that these fish are acceptable for export to the US as government-inspected and safe foodstuffs.

Regards....
Life is too short, to take too much, too seriously, for too long ....Vernon P.Fraser

#48 sdcanoe

sdcanoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

This is from the CFIA website...

People can spread infectious salmon anaemia by moving any of the following
  • infected live or dead finfish,
  • contaminated equipment, or
  • contaminated water.
If the virus can be spread by dead fish does that not mean all of the infected fish being sold could be used as a "biolgical weapon". If someone wanted to start spreading this virus around, for what ever reason, the CFIA is certainly making easy. Even if this fish is safe to eat how is it safe to have this virus in the hands of the public??

#49 Shimanoman

Shimanoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

Earlier today I called CFIA call centre(1-800-442-2342)- they shuffled me to CFIA in Yarmouth NS (1-902-742-0862) where I spoke to Laurie Williams at their Fish Inspection Office. When I asked her if we are exporting ISA salmon she told me that there was another branch office of theirs who could answer my question but because there were folks working there and filling in, she couldn't give me a name of who to contact for an answer to my question. She took my info and told me that she would forward my query to that office (but didn't give me the number of that office)and they would get back to me with the answer.

Surprise Surprise - as of 5pm, I have not heard from CFIA.

I have not yet heard from the manager of Bedford Superstore. As per the previous post from Superstore HQ, one can reasonably assume that ISA salmon are being sold in ALL Superstores in Canada. Where else can you get rid of over 2 million pounds of infected fish????

Regards.....

#50 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

My latest email from Loblaws and my reply this am,

Re: File#1373631 - I am a person, not a file number.

Posted Image

Posted Image

to Carolina, Julija.hunter

Posted Image

Good Morning Carolina,
Thank-you for the standard non-personalised template reply, I guess I should have expected nothing more.

"PRODUCED RESPONSIBLY" ?.

Let me ask you this Carolina and Julija,
If you had a child at kindergarten and one of the parents knew for 6 Months that their child had a highly infectious and deadly disease and they did nothing about removing their child from the school until they could find a better place for it, would you think that Parent was acting responsibly?.

Now we have a human face on things and it's not just a smelly old fish, does it strike home a little more that perhaps Cooke should have voluntarily destroyed IMMEDIATELY almost a QUARTER OF A MILLION fish in order to minimise any contact with wild fish stocks?.

The fish are in OPEN pens, their excrement falls on the sea bed and onto any passing fish, they will have passed on ISA to other wild fish.

How RESPONSIBLE is that?.

So onwards you go, hiding behind what Today seems a safe harbour, you chose you position carefully with your lawyers and quality assurance people so let me spell it out for you. It isn't going to work. I hope you are going to be named and shamed in a set of highly visible publicity campaign, with your corporate decision to ;

A.) Allow Cooke to supply unidentified Diseased Salmon into your stores
B.)Ignore all warnings and notifications of irresponsible behaviour to the Environment and continue to do business with Cooke

Enjoy the limelight when it comes and I know I won't be near any of Loblaw's stores until someone in your corporate offices begins to see sense, and I am not on my own in that respect. Have you any idea of the strength of feeling about the Salmon Farms in Nova Scotia?. Seriously, you are taking a huge risk alienating Tens of Thousands of consumers just with ONE product that can hardly mean the difference with profit and loss position??, Dispose of the Diseased Salmon, dump Cooke and do the right thing.

Best Regards,
Kevin.

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 9:31 PM, Carolina Mondonedo <[email protected]> wrote:

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us

Loblaw Companies takes all concerns related to health and environment very seriously and are committed to providing our customers with products that are sourced, handled and produced responsibly. The health and safety of our customers is of the utmost importance to us.

Loblaw has a world-leading sustainable seafood policy which aims to conserve healthy oceans and minimize environmental impact of all seafood, wild caught and farmed. In order to meet the increasing demand for seafood, we source both wild and farmed seafood and support sustainable certification for both. As part of Loblaw's commitment to source 100 per cent of all seafood from sustainable sources by the end of 2013, we are proud to have become the first grocery retailer in North America to introduce ASC-certified products in select stores. The ASC is an independent, not-for-profit organization that aims to be the leading global certification and labeling program for responsibly farmed seafood and is committed to preserving marine and fresh water habitats while endorsing social standards.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is monitoring this product and are on site to oversee the harvest and ensure protocols are being followed to prevent ISA from spreading to other fish. ISA is a natural virus of the marine environment that is a manageable fish health issue. The CFIA has confirmed that this product is safe for human consumption and poses zero health risk to human health.

For more information and facts visit the CFIA website at http://www.inspectio...3/1327199219511.

We also encourage you to contact the Atlantic Canada Fish Farmers Association at www.atlanticfishfarmers.com/index.html as a resource.
Additional questions can be directed to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency [CFIA] (www.inspection.gc.ca or chrome-extension://lifbcibllhkdhoafpjfnlhfpfgnpldfl/numbers_button_skype_logo.png1-800-442-2342chrome-extension://lifbcibllhkdhoafpjfnlhfpfgnpldfl/numbers_button_skype_logo.png(905) 459-2500</span></span></span> Ext. 621855 | F: (905) 861-2387 | [email protected]

#51 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

http://www.southcoas...ling-isa-salmon

I just sent this link to the VP of Loblaws, [email protected],

May I suggest that others do the same?.

Kev.

#52 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

Hey Swinsc,

Keep after them Brother. I'll send some emails today. (Have been working on something to send to the OIE.)

Last night, I had found the EU report from 2000 that seems to be the "reference" material used to make the "safe for human consumption" claims, I believe. It took a bit of searching. Now I find it linked in the news story that you linked in your last post. Geeze, all that computer time for nothing. :lol:

Here is the EU report: http://ec.europa.eu/...ah/out44_en.pdf

The most important statement in this report, should be considered. It is the first sentence under:Assessment of Risks to Man

"No reports dealing with research on zoonotic aspects of ISA have so far been published."

In most of the material that I have searched on the matter, the most common word used to describe the zoonotic risk of ISAv to humans is: "unlikely". Not definately. Yet there doesn't seem to be a strong amount of published material on actual studies done lately.

So if you ask me, the jury may still be out. I'm sure they considered the possibility of Mad Cow (Swine Flu, Asian Bird Flu) mutating to humans as unlikely, too.

So if you want to base the health of yourself and your family on an EU Report from 2000 (done by Norwegians) - good luck to you. Most with common sense will just stay away from the crap. Like most of the members on this site.

Terran

#53 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

Dear Shelley,
Thank you immensely for taking the time to actually communicate on a 1:1 basis rather than the boiler-plate responses, the article I read today http://www.southcoas...ling-isa-salmon gives me hope that we are getting closer and closer to land-based Aquaculture and responsible farming without detriment to our Oceans.

There is a place for Farmed Salmon, just not in the Open Water where all the infections and sea-lice issues impart a negative net result to wild fish stocks. Insofar that the socio-economic fine balance is concerned, you are correct, but have you thought what would happen to some hotels, B&B's, fishing tackle shops, guides and angling tourism per-se if the Wild Salmonid stocks were to collapse.

Notwithstanding the very superficial ISA/Human impact research done thus far by Norwegian sponsored scientists that may have been looking down a microscope with one eye and another eye paid shut by companies such as Marine Harvest (European Fish Farm empire)

While we may not be certain of the long term effect of ISA on humans, we are certain of the effect of ISA and Sea-Lice on Wild fish, and we are 100% certain that Open-Pen Salmon farms are not helping nature in the slightest. All rhetoric from Cooke Aquaculture is thusly based purely on minimising issues with wild-fish populations, it simply isn't good enough.

History has proved us 100% correct with ISA and Chile's Farmed Salmon collapse due to uncontrollable ISA infections is closer to Nova Scotia than you think. When the dust settles investigations and finger pointing at the Farmers and Sales Outlets will begin, your company would be best advised to be supporting and VISIBLY seen to support land-based Aquaculture.

Let Sobeys be a leader and not a begrudgingly led follower in this case,

Many thanks,

Kevin.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sobey's Customer Service [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: 30 January 2013 12:51
To: Kevin Swinscoe
Subject: FW: SR0000000417640

Sent: 1/30/2013 8:51:11 AM

Dear Mr. Swinscoe,

Sobeys has determined that the best course of action is to assess situations such as this on an individual basis as they arise and make informed decisions with the most up-to-date information available. When and if the situation is deemed appropriate, we will convey messages to our customers through in-store signage however, at this time, we are engaging with our customers such as yourself, one-on-one.

We engage extensively with stakeholders on the topic of farmed salmon, and those involved in the production are part of that process. There can often be a fine balance in addressing the socio-economic and the scientific/environmental implications of any initiative and it applies in this instance to open-pen vs. land-based aquaculture and farmed vs. wild supply.

Sobeys continues to push for the identification of key issues and actions to address them and many producers are demonstrating a commitment to making those improvements. Farmed salmon has attracted a lot of attention, and there is science that supports both sides of the conversation on the topic. Our commitment to issues resolution and improvements continues.

Sincerely,

Shelley
Customer Care

Shelley Bowden
Customer Care
123 Foord St.
Stellarton, Nova Scotia
B0K 1S0
Toll Free: 1-888-944-0442
[email protected]
[email protected]

#54 Shimanoman

Shimanoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

Kevin,
I just spoke to Shelley Bowden and she assured me that Sobey's will NEVER sell ANY of the ISA infected fish. When I suggested to her that Sobeys advertise that fact in the Chronicle Herald she said that she thought it was an idea worth pursuing. I also suggested that, in view of her assurance, Sobeys could no doubt profit from a small label on their fresh fish products stating either "ISA Free" or "Virus Free". I further brought it to her attention that their direct competition (Headquartered in Toronto Ontario) Superstore has made no such commitment.
I also was contacted by a pleasant young lady, a biologist from the regional office of CFIA by the name of Sherrilynn who told me that the ISA infected/inspected fish are available for export with no restrictions placed upon their movement.
Is Cooke planning to sell these fish overseas or to our US cousins??? There will be , no doubt lots of ISA fish in the future, now that CFIA has declared them fit for human consumption.
There are, no doubt, many more questions "spawned" by these revelations
I wonder if Dr Oz has any questions.

Regards.....

#55 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Ok, today has been spent emailing all the Executive Board/Members at Loblaws
I found this statement to be frankly ironic

"“We hope that Canadians will agree that we are driving the fish farming industry forward to more responsible methods,” Paul Uys, Loblaw’s vice-president of sustainable seafood, said in a statement."

http://www.canadiang...fied-fish-20369

I emailed dozens of Loblaws folks today including [email protected] . They may be setting up a spam block on my googlemail account but that's life.

k.

#56 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

Ok, today has been spent emailing all the Executive Board/Members at Loblaws
I found this statement to be frankly ironic

"“We hope that Canadians will agree that we are driving the fish farming industry forward to more responsible methods,” Paul Uys, Loblaw’s vice-president of sustainable seafood, said in a statement."

http://www.canadiang...fied-fish-20369

I emailed dozens of Loblaws folks today including [email protected] . They may be setting up a spam block on my googlemail account but that's life.

k.

Loblaws employees are trained to repeat their president's name over and over.

The bright ones call him Mr. Loblaw or Robert Loblaw. From the others all you'll hear is "Bah blah blah"...

I started reading a book about anti-gravity and I just couldn't put it down.

#57 sdcanoe

sdcanoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

Kevin,
I just spoke to Shelley Bowden and she assured me that Sobey's will NEVER sell ANY of the ISA infected fish.

Was she referring to just this batch of ISA infected fish or ISA infected fish in general because in the email I received and that others have received, Shelley Bowden DID NOT say Sobey's was committed to never selling ISA infected fish in the future. If she has confirmed that Sobey's has made this commitment, she should send new emails to all of us that have expressed concern over this issue.

My guess is, in the future, Cooke will not have to inform its retailers that they are getting ISA infected fish because CFIA considers it all the same.

#58 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Was she referring to just this batch of ISA infected fish or ISA infected fish in general because in the email I received and that others have received, Shelley Bowden DID NOT say Sobey's was committed to never selling ISA infected fish in the future. If she has confirmed that Sobey's has made this commitment, she should send new emails to all of us that have expressed concern over this issue.

My guess is, in the future, Cooke will not have to inform its retailers that they are getting ISA infected fish because CFIA considers it all the same.

Hey SD, here's the link again. http://www.southcoas...ling-isa-salmon

#59 sdcanoe

sdcanoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

Swinsc,
That information pertains to THIS batch of ISA infected fish, not future shipments. I asked Shelley directly if Sobeys would commit to not selling ISA infected salmon in the future and she DID NOT make that commitment. I hope Sobeys will do the right thing but people should not be confused by thinking because they did not recieve any of these infected fish that automaticaly means they will never sell it.

#60 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:08 AM

Hey SD, I think Shimanoman had a longer conversation along those lines with Sobey's and came away with a better impression. Never say never but I'll take this as a positive and it does put more peer pressure on Loblaws to follow suit and also give a massive boost in the publicity war on ISA.

How could Sobeys declare ISA Salmon not fit for Sale today and then sell it tomorrow?, they would have a hard time justifying that one.

K.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cooke, Aquaculture, Farmed, salmon, contaminated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users