8 replies to this topic

#1 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

I have been trying to figure out the best type and size of Repals to buy for SMB..

I have a couple but trying to pick out some jointed ones, Any advice will help.. at around $10 ea I want to pick wisely ;-)

#2 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 908 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Hey Ed,

You can't go wrong with natural colored Rapalas like perch, rainbow trout, shad etc. However, many of the other colors will also catch smb. Colors like orange, blue, firetiger, etc. also work well most times.

As for size, I tend to use the bigger ones since i am targeting the larger fish. ;) The jointed rapalas have a more erratic action and will work well when the fish are very active/agressive. I like the larger sized husky jerks and deep diving cranks when fishing early spring and late fall when the water temps are colder.

Keep your eyes open for some new crank baits from Lunkerhunt this upcoming season. ;)

#3 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

Order from cabelas they often have husky jerks on sale etc, fire tiger perch and trout patterns
please practice a sustainable harvest

#4 caff3in3

caff3in3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

I bought 48 of them on ebay for $150. 3 of us split the cost and we all ended up with a decent selection. There are guys who run stores and liquidate stock that isnt selling. Easy way to build up your collection!

#5 NS_Sens

NS_Sens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Ebay is a great place to buy fishing supplies. I can usually find prices even with shipping that are lower than most online shops, even the US ones.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. -- George W. Sears

#6 Transplant

Transplant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 357 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

If you've never tried one I highly recommend the Rapala Taildancer. I caught smallies all year long on a couple different colours, then kept using them for stripers on Grand in the fall.

#7 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

I bought an F7 Firetiger today,,now I just have to keep buying one week till the season starts ..or the Mrs s finds out :-)

#8 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 908 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:01 AM

..or the Mrs s finds out :-)

thats just plain smart. :P lol

#9 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

I bought an F7 Firetiger today,,now I just have to keep buying one week till the season starts ..or the Mrs s finds out :-)

Store them in a Dollarama bag for marital safety...

I started reading a book about anti-gravity and I just couldn't put it down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users